Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Caliber Single Stack 10 Round Magazines

Lee Bell

I'm waiting on my new Kimber Stainless Gold Match II in .40. I plan to use it to compete in USPSA Single Stack. I'd like, however, to also be able to use it in Limited 10. To do that, I need 10 round magazines.

Who makes a 10 round .40 caliber mazagine for single stack 1911 pistols and who sells them?

Lee

Sorry, my nmistake. I just saw the 'Single Stack' reference..

For Limited-10, no 45 mags worked as succesfully in my Kimber (I have Wilsons and McCormicks). I really wish they had.

It's definetly worth trying though. They're plentiful and cheap.

I'm waiting on my new Kimber Stainless Gold Match II in .40. I plan to use it to compete in USPSA Single Stack. I'd like, however, to also be able to use it in Limited 10. To do that, I need 10 round magazines.

Who makes a 10 round .40 caliber mazagine for single stack 1911 pistols and who sells them?

Lee

Just making sure.. you want to shoot minor?

Do the 10 rounders fit in the box?

He's not shooting Singlestack division, he's shooting Lim-10. A .40 makes major and mags are restricted to 140mm. (no box, no capacity limit ala SS)

Well I guess he is shooting single stack.. :P

look at the shooting star 10mm mags...

but I think I remember something about Ed Brown having 40 mags

(10mm with a back spacer like the 9's )

Brownells CmC mags

I have one of Virgils' and another 10 rd .40 that I think is and Ed Brown. It's a true .40 with a spacer in the back. Virgil's is OK but had trouble at first. I have numerous McCormick 9 round 10mm mags that work great as long as the ammo is more than 1.125" and shorter than 1.260". I've used them in a Colt Delta Elite with a ramped .40 Schuemann barrel in it for awhile. If LTD 10/Single stack is your game the .40 single stack isn't really the best choice. 10 round mags just aren't that good or available. .45 is better for both (I can't believe I said that-I'm a die hard .40 fan!) if a single stack is your gun. I have 10 round Wilson .45 mags that run well and lots of good 8 rounders for single stack. Even though my power factor is a bit high, 4.0 grains of Clays under a Precision Bullets 230 grain round nose is great. I know folks who shoot 3.8 grains and we all get about 760 fps in a 5" gun.

I load 180 .40s with 5 grains of N320 @1.160" by the thousands. It's nice to have a single stack that will shoot the same ammo as all the other guns. I just haven't found 10 round mags for the .40 single stack that are good enough.

If you go looking for a good magwell on that pretty single stack, look at the SV. I put one on the Delta and can now actually make reloads with a single stack! It's SS legal and easy to hit. I couldn't hit a single stack reload to save my life, I can now....

Lee,

I don't have personal experience so take this with a grain of salt. Word on the street, is that McCormick 10 round .45 mags feed .40 well.

I saw something about that after posting my question. I ordered 8 10 round 45 mags from McCormick a while ago and am expecting them any day now.

I noticed a while ago that the McCormick 8 round mags are the same as the ones I have for my Delta Elite 10mm. I asked them, at the time, if they would work in it. They don't recommend it, which may be a liability issue, or one based on function. I do know that the 10mm magazines have an indentation along the sides to better fit the narrower 10mm rounds. .40 caliber is, of course, the same diameter, but shorter, at least if you follow the manual overall length guidelines.

If the McCormick 10 rounders ever arrive, I'll give them a try. It would be very nice to be able to avoid the cost of additional mags by using the same ones for two calibers.

Lee

I intend to shoot major. That's not as much of a problem as it once was. At 90% of the Alliant recommended max load for .40, I got more than enough to make major out of my Glock 23 with 180 grain jacketed hollow points. While the load will surely be different, I expect to be able to do the same with my longer barrel Kimber. We'll see.

I've yet to have anybody ask me to put my gun in a box. Is that an issue with USPSA in Limited 10?

Lee

Sorry, my nmistake. I just saw the 'Single Stack' reference..

For Limited-10, no 45 mags worked as succesfully in my Kimber (I have Wilsons and McCormicks). I really wish they had.

It's definetly worth trying though. They're plentiful and cheap.

My fault for being unclear. I plan to shoot Single Stack, but not with 10 round magazines. I have a supply of 8 round ones for that on order from Kimber. The 10 round magazines are for shooting Limited 10, about the only other division that my preferred 1911 guns can compete well in. My reference to single stack relative to the 10 round magazines was to be sure it was clear that I am talking about a 1911 style gun and magazine.

Lee

Sounds like you are on the right track. For Singlestack they have to be more or less a flush fitting mag in order to meet the size requirements. The current 10-round .40 or 10mm mags out there, while ok for Lim-10, probably will not fit the SS requirements.

And if you shoot major in SS, you'll be restricted to 8 rounds in the mag anyway, in .40 or .45. Only minor gets to load 9 or 10 (but the mags still have to fit flush).

Sounds like you will need the 2 sets of mags to shoot both Lim-10 and SS.

I've got the 10mm McCormick round mags and use .40 loaded to 1.19 OAL and have no problems, but I just load 8. If you are loading short .40 (normal length), you will probably want to stick to the .40 cal mags with spacers in the back of the mag.

Edited by sfinney

I have one of Virgils' and another 10 rd .40 that I think is and Ed Brown. It's a true .40 with a spacer in the back. Virgil's is OK but had trouble at first. I have numerous McCormick 9 round 10mm mags that work great as long as the ammo is more than 1.125" and shorter than 1.260". I've used them in a Colt Delta Elite with a ramped .40 Schuemann barrel in it for awhile.

So far, I've found Tripp and Metalform 10 round magazines. Both appear to be designed for 10mm and used for 40. I would expect the case length difference to affect reliability with both, but, so far, they seem to be my only choices actually designed for .40. I have some McCormick 10 round 45 magazines on order for my Gold Cup. I'll give them a try to. Like you, I have a Delta Elite. In fact, its the gun I enjoy shooting for USPSA the most. As I'm sure you know, however, 10mm brass is too hard to come by to make it a good caliber for action shooting on grass ranges. The odds of getting much of it back are pretty poor. Still, that's something else I can try.

I looked at the Ed Brown side and, as far as I can tell, he does not offer anything but .45 caliber magazines. Maybe I missed it. Regardless, the "real" 40 caliber magazine you mention, one with a spacer to accomodate a standard length 40 caliber round, is interesting. If you figure out more about who makes or offers it, assuming I just didn't miss reference on Ed Brown's site, I'd like to hear more.

If LTD 10/Single stack is your game the .40 single stack isn't really the best choice. 10 round mags just aren't that good or available. .45 is better for both (I can't believe I said that-I'm a die hard .40 fan!) if a single stack is your gun. I have 10 round Wilson .45 mags that run well and lots of good 8 rounders for single stack. Even though my power factor is a bit high, 4.0 grains of Clays under a Precision Bullets 230 grain round nose is great. I know folks who shoot 3.8 grains and we all get about 760 fps in a 5" gun.

I load 180 .40s with 5 grains of N320 @1.160" by the thousands. It's nice to have a single stack that will shoot the same ammo as all the other guns. I just haven't found 10 round mags for the .40 single stack that are good enough.

I can hope for something that will work. As I mentioned above, I started this sport shooting a Colt Delta Elite. I use 5 grains of Bullseye under Zero 180 grain JHPs. While it's not as hot as a full house 10mm round, it's plenty hot enough to make major and, with the somewhat reduced charge and a 20 lb recoil spring + buffer, the gun shoots reliably and without enough recoil to bother me. The cost or brass, however, was awful.

My next try was a new Colt Gold Cup. The gun has been back to the factory for refitting of the slide and a new front sight (original broken). It came back with a slightly better slide fit, and a new front sight, which was so loose I could wiggle it with my finger. I gave up on Colt and took it to my local gunsmith for a replacement front sight. No sooner did I get that taken care of than I discovered that the rear sight had way too much play in it as well. The gun is back in the shop as I type, having a new rear sight installed. As you can imagine, I'm more than a little disenchanted with Colt. At any rate, after a few hundred dollars I should not have had to spend, I hope to like the gun. Of course, I can't tell for sure until I manage to keep it out of the shop long enough to shoot a couple of matches with it. I have the right number of Chip McCormick 8 round mags and have ordered a similar number of 10 round mags that should arrive any day now. If that turns out to be the gun to shoot in Limited 10, so be it, but I'm not giving up on the .40 yet. I would really like to be able to shoot the same gun in more than one division rather than have to adjust to even the smallest differences between guns in different calibers.

If you go looking for a good magwell on that pretty single stack, look at the SV. I put one on the Delta and can now actually make reloads with a single stack! It's SS legal and easy to hit. I couldn't hit a single stack reload to save my life, I can now....

I will certainly keep this in mind. One of the things that surprised me the most about shooting Single Stack is how easy reloads seem to be for me. I expected to have problems and that just hasn't happened. They're so quick and natural, that I remember when I did them, but don't remember doing them . . . except for one. Even then, it was not a case of getting the slide in place. It was a matter of getting it all the way in. My Delta Elite mags don't have bumpers and I didn't get one of them all the way in. So far, it's only happened once, but it was a major consumer of time when it did.

While I think my reloads are quick, I'm too new at any of this to be competitively quick. As my speed picks up overall, I may find I'm not as good as reloading as I think I am. Time will tell.

Lee

Sounds like you will need the 2 sets of mags to shoot both Lim-10 and SS.

That's my thinking. I have 8 round magazines for my .45 and have ordered 10 rounds ones that have not yet arrived. I ordered 8 round magazines with the Kimber and am looking for reliable 10 rounds ones in this thread. So far, I've gotten some good information and advice, but it doesn't sound like anyone is real fond of 10 round single stack 40s. Perhaps I'll help change that. No other round is as inexpensive for me to reload and, assuming it will be very much like my 10mm, no other round suits my shooting preferences quite as well. 45 is nice, but 10mm is better for me. With any luck at all, 40 will be the same.

I've got the 10mm McCormick round mags and use .40 loaded to 1.19 OAL and have no problems, but I just load 8. If you are loading short .40 (normal length), you will probably want to stick to the .40 cal mags with spacers in the back of the mag.

You're the second person to mention magazines with spacers. So far, nobody has been able to point me to a source. Ed Brown's magazines have been mentioned, but I didn't find anything on his website except .45 magazines. If you have a link to such mags, I'd love to hear about it.

Lee

"As I'm sure you know, however, 10mm brass is too hard to come by to make it a good caliber for action shooting on grass ranges. The odds of getting much of it back are pretty poor. "

I had a source of 10mm brass a few years back and loaded that 5 grains of N320 under a 200 FMJ in the 10mm case @ 1.260". It was a good load @ 900 fps and even though that's 180 PF I liked it better than others. Most of that brass was nickel Rem which split after a couple loadings...

That "Ed Brown .40 mag" was ordered out of Brownells awhile back and I don't think it caught on and was discontinued. I still have it with the Tripp mag but it's there only for looks now.

I shot a 14 or 16 lb spring with the .40 and 10mm respectively EXCEPT when shooting factory 10mm!!!!

He's not shooting Singlestack division, he's shooting Lim-10. A .40 makes major and mags are restricted to 140mm. (no box, no capacity limit ala SS)

If the mag is single stack the old rules stated 170mm max. The 2004 rules state:

L10 Maximum Magazine Length---NO. Interesting, I hadn't noticed the change until now.

The proposed 2008 rules go back to the 140 double stack 170 single stack L10 mag rules.

If the mag is single stack the old rules stated 170mm max. The 2004 rules state:

L10 Maximum Magazine Length---NO. Interesting, I hadn't noticed the change until now.

The proposed 2008 rules go back to the 140 double stack 170 single stack L10 mag rules.

Since a .40 case is just a bit over 10mm in diameter, I assume an extra 30 mm of magazine length should suffice for two of them. If not, well, I bought the gun for Single Stack anyway.

Lee

The Ed Brown/Metal Form 10 round .45 mags fed .40 flawlessly in my Kimber. The Ed Brown version has a welded on stop. Metal Form just uses a dimple. The dimple will chew up your frame.

10 rd CMC .45 mags worked well also.

Lee:

The superior option is by the widest margin, Virgil Tripp Cobramags. 8/9/10 rd .40's s/s mags, there is nothing coming close. Virgil really prefers for you to send him your gun so he can tailor fit the mags to slight variations amongst the manufacturers and even within brands as far as mag catch position variation, He turns these around in usually three weeks, add reliability work and its a total of 4 weeks.

Everything else, just aint in the same magazine universe.

Jon TY 51061

Hello: I know the 9 round Cobra mags I have did not work well when loaded with 9 rounds. I had to compress the spring and modify the follower. The follower would lock the slide back with 1 round still in it. I had to file the steel part of the follower so it would lock back with no rounds in the mag. After all that they work fine. After spending all that time and money on them I tried some Wilson 45 8round mags and they work with no mods and hold 9 rounds as well. They also cost less. For limited 10 I would use the 45 10 round mags but they will hold 11 rounds of 40. Now to have a 10 round 40 magazine that fits in the IDPA box eh JoeD ;-) Thanks Eric

• 7 years later...