Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Front Sight Height?

D.Hayden

I have the .285 on both my 34 and 35 and both make Dawsons rear sight bottom out for POI (can't go any lower). The .300 will give you a little more wiggle room but is a little big for many holsters.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a .285 on my 34. I had to remove the rear sight springs, clip a coil off of each and reassemble. The rear sight would not go low enough and the when bottomed out the springs would bind. After shortening the springs the rear sight was resting on the slide and my POI was still slightly high at 25m. It was right on at 10-12, but kept climing as distance increased.

I had to change to the taller FS for G35. Has to do with the angle of the barrel vs the slide.

If you haven't bought one, I'd say .285 for G17 & G22, .300 for G34 & G35.

The DP FO front sight rules! I love all 3 or mine:)

• 2 months later...

It might be too high.

My FO Warren Tactical FS is a lot shorter than the Dawson .285 and .300 I had mounted before. I never tried the WT rear with the Dawson FS, though.

The WT FS is already mounted on my 35, and I can't get a really good measurement, but it seems to be .220 or a bit less.

• 3 months later...

Been doing lots of searching and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, this topic seems the closest. I am looking to go with Dawson front and rear sights. I like fixed sights so I was looking at Dawson fixed rear with dawson fiber optic front .105 width x .205 height. Question being which kind of rear the target wide notch or target .115 notch.

Which one and why, thoughts....... I'm leaning towards wide notch to pick up the sight better/quicker. Also which size FO tube to put in that front, I ask cause I like green over red and want to swap the colors.

And discuss........ :blink::blink:

It might be too high.

My FO Warren Tactical FS is a lot shorter than the Dawson .285 and .300 I had mounted before. I never tried the WT rear with the Dawson FS, though.

The WT FS is already mounted on my 35, and I can't get a really good measurement, but it seems to be .220 or a bit less.

5mm (.210") height of Warren Tactical front sight.

7mm (.250") height of rear sight.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Would a Dawson .300 go with the Warren/Sevigny rear sight?

Probably won't work - what you might try with the WS rear is the .225 - product number 019-002

I have that one on a G35 with the WS rear and it works perfect.

Good luck

The .300 gives you more of and adjustment range then the 285 when used wit an adjustable rear sight.

However in some holsters such as a forbus or other similar holdsters used for production or IDPA .300 will rub , so some people prefer to used the .285 sacrificeing adjustment range to gain a smoothe draw.

If you are using a .300 with an enclosed holders you can file out the inside where the front sight rubs (if it rubs).

If you are using a race holster like the cr speed or ghost then front sight rubbing is not an issue, therfore the .300 is a better choice.

As for width that depends on what you want your sight picture to look like.

I prefer to see a little bit of light (the targert) on either side of the front sight so I use the .300 by .100

If you rather see a all sights like the stock sight picture then go with the thicker .125 front sight.

hope this answers your question

P.Clark

A-57508

Hello all the information in this topic makes for a good read. My additional question ..... What front site height would your recommend for a 21SF with the adjustable rear? .285 or .300?

Thanks ..... Idaho Glocker

As others have stated, you will have more *range* with the .300. That said, I just put the .285 on my G21 (same as on my G34) and both guns are dead nutz spot-on on and neither is quite bottomed out. I think the small differences in barrel lock-up accounts for why some people have problems with the .285 and some, don't. At any rate, Dawson has pretty much a satisfaction guarantee and I feel like if there were a problem either way, they'd be glad to swap them out.