Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would You Rather Have One Dillon 1050 Or Two 650 Presses?

Sheldon

I have a dilema right now. I currently have two Dillon 650 presses doing most of my reloading. One is set up for 9mm and is also used for 38 Special. The other is set up for 45 ACP. I recently got a Dillon 1050 cheap and it came with the conversion kits for 45 ACP, 38 Spl., and 40 S&W. It also came with an extra toolhead and powder measure. I had originally wanted to just flip it for a quick profit to buy some CMP rifles, but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off selling off the two 650 presses instead.

I like the two 650 presses as each is set up for a different primer size. The 1050 looks a little more complicated and parts are more expensive, but I have most of what I need (maybe get another toolhead for the 38 Spl. and possibly swap the 40 for a 9mm kit). I believe I have the small parts to swap primer sizes on the 1050. I like the swager built in on the 1050.

So what do you guys think is a better set up?? I am going to convert it over to 45 ACP as it is currently set up for 40 S&W and run about 1500 rounds of military crimped brass I have sitting here thru it and see how well it works....if nothing else I get to process them cases.

I am sort of in the same boat, Just got 2 used 1050's and I already have 2 650s.

I am going to off the 650s and get another super 1050 and just run the 3 1050s.

I think once you pull the handle on the 1050 it is hard to go back to the 650 again.

You get spoiled, Kind of like going from a full race limited gun to a box stock 1911.

Yes it works fine and can do the job but you will miss all those upgrades in a hurry, Just my opinion but I think you get the point. And when that Kiss bullet feeder finally gets here, I think it will be even better, At least thats what everyone who got one so far says.

I will probably put one 650 up for sale and hold on to the other for doing 308 until the I can get the super 1050 bought.

I would try to keep a seperate press for different calibers.. At the least one for each primer size.

Merlin said it right.

Use the 1050 for your high volume caliber.

That's why I had the two 650 presses now, for that convenience. At this point I guess I will wait and see if I HAVE to sell the 1050 as I don't know for sure if I even made the cut for any of the rifles I put in for at the CMP.

Either way my choices still will end up being....either keep the sole 1050 or the pair of 650 presses. I also have a 550B to do the really small batches of reloads in the lesser used calibers.

Edited by Sheldon

I have a 1050 and a 550. I have extra toolheads already set up for the 1050. It only takes 10 minutes to change calibers on the 1050 when I use the same primer size. To change caliber and primer size takes 30 minutes.

I love that the primer is seated on the downstroke and can be adjusted for seating depth on the 1050. :wub:

My 1050 is my most used press. I have settled on a load for each caliber and keep rounds loaded ahead.

I don't own a 1050 (yet) but from what I have read the 650 is easier to change calibers and the preferred choice if you are going to do a lot of switching.

The 1050 is the preferred choice if you just want to crank out mass quantites in one caliber.

You mention 45, 40, 9mm, 38 spl.

If you must choose, it sounds like the two 650 set up for large and small primers is the best way to go for you.

My advice:

Forget the CMP rifles and keep all three presses.

Set up the 1050 for whatever you shoot the most. ;)

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Why does the choice have to be between the 1050 or the two 650's?

If you must turn one of the presses, keep the 1050 and sell one of the 650's

Set up the 1050 for whatever you shoot the most and do your caliber conversions on the 650.

You can get another primer assembly for the 650 from Enos and it takes no time at all to change them out.

It's a two bolt operation + change the plunger.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I'll keep just one 1050 if I have to. I bought mine back in the 80's when they quit making the RL1000 available. It's been great for about 20 years. I gave my 550 to my best buddy who now has two but admits the 1050 is the best. If I ever reload rifle anymore I use my old CH 3 station press and enjoy the good old days. I have 4 heads for the 1050 to do whatever I need....

A super 1050 is even better. Switching calibers isn't a problem...

I loaded 1500 rounds last night after the Giants lost to Philly. It relaxes me!

Mick

A27257

• 2 weeks later...

I had two 650's. Bought a 1050 and wow. Bought another 1050 and a kiss bullet feeder. Double wow. Sold one 650, the other is for sale and I'm going to get another kiss bullet feeder with the money.

so my answer is 2 1050's with kiss bullet feeders and you'll never go back. You might not have money for bullet fixuns bu you'll have a damn fine setup.

1 1050. It does take a little longer to change the caliber on the 1050 and the caliber covnersions are more expensive. However, you can pump out enough ammo in a couple of sittings to last for a very long time. Load 5 to 10K rounds in one caliber and then switch it over. Load the other caliber as you shoot it...