Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eerw

eerw

Stu,

Just found this thread......... good reading, I wasted a bunch of time, thanks...... :roflol:

You shooting Steel on Wed?

I'll try to make it this week.

:cheers:

Charlie D

Did not mean the reading was a waste of time.............

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stu,

Just found this thread......... good reading, I wasted a bunch of time, thanks...... :roflol:

You shooting Steel on Wed?

I'll try to make it this week.

Charlie D

Did not mean the reading was a waste of time.............

:roflol:

going to try and be there wednesday..supposed to meet up with Rags..so we will see.

checked everything over..think I got it figured out..

was working with a 147 gr bullet..and it looks liked I am right on edge of it in the chamber..bullets may have been long and not chambered.

reset my dies..and looks OK now.

• 2 weeks later...

skipped today's match..slept in..

headed to the range to practice..shot about 200 rounds trying out a variety of different loads/weight bullets.

shot about 150 rounds of groups..shot upper A/Bs at 15yds, 20yrds and 25yrds and then the remaining rounds with some SHO/WHO drills at 20yrds.

good practice, was seeing the sights really well. pleased with today's results.

Hoping to shoot indoor match tomorrow, steel match on wed.

shot a good stage last night..didn't have time to shoot the second stage as things were getting backed up and had to boogie home for good nights to the kids.

anyway..

stage one. lateral movement, three boxes, 24 rounds. predominately partial targets and no-shoots.

two of the four targets from the box 2 are visible from the other boxes. so essentially it can be shot from

box 1 engage T1-T4, box 2 engage T5-T8, box 3 engage T9-12 or

box 1 engage T1-T5, box 2 engage T6-T7, box 3 engage T8-12

I went with plan B...my practice has been on keeping low, keep moving, grip the gun and drive the sights.

I ended up dropping 5 Cs, which is still a lot for production..but shot the stage in 12.01seconds with 110 points out of the 120 available. the movement felt good, I was seeing the sights, the reloads were smooth.

result. won the stage overall by .08 HF over a open master shooter.

very happy with that moment.

nothing huge..

match today was six stages..a really good mix of aiming, shooting on the move and a lot of freestyle choices. really nicely done.

I started the match really wanting to shoot accurately..and pulled that off on the first stage. nice two shot groups, reasonable speed and good plan followed.

over the course of the next two stages. two bad shots. both shooting on the move. first one was about 10-12 yards, no shoot infront of a target. walked a shot right into the no shoot, ( one mike, one NS ), 3rd stage move the gun as shooting and move a shoot in between two targets ( one mike ) and then down on the sixth stage. same thing..no shoot in front of a target..moved the gun right into it..( one mike, one NS )

so three bullets, focus lost, 5 penalties. coulda-woulda-nada.

nothing huge..

match today was six stages..a really good mix of aiming, shooting on the move and a lot of freestyle choices. really nicely done.

I started the match really wanting to shoot accurately..and pulled that off on the first stage. nice two shot groups, reasonable speed and good plan followed.

over the course of the next two stages. two bad shots. both shooting on the move. first one was about 10-12 yards, no shoot infront of a target. walked a shot right into the no shoot, ( one mike, one NS ), 3rd stage move the gun as shooting and move a shoot in between two targets ( one mike ) and then down on the sixth stage. same thing..no shoot in front of a target..moved the gun right into it..( one mike, one NS )

so three bullets, focus lost, 5 penalties. coulda-woulda-nada.

Uh, dude. You DID shoot 99-21 in 4.95 seconds...

You were three A's away from a 97.62% on that run. Three C's dropped it 10%. It was a smoking run never the less. (See what happens when you hang out with an accountant?)

Everyone was tagging white today. There were about three really tight shots in the stages today and we all fell victim. They were all shots involving movement throught the course if you wanted to maximize one's stange time too. That really ups the chances of tagging the edge of them (some flat out killed the hostages based on the stickies I saw). I had two rounds I wish I could recall myself.

Interesting side point, PPPS scores are already posted on USPSA. AGC from last weekend are not posted there yet... All hail clubs using Palm Scoring.

short practice last night.

practice centered around partial targets covered with NS only showing the A-zone or part of it.

distance only about 10-15 yards, shooting on the move both left and right.

shot about an hour, maybe 150 rounds.

really worked on seeing what was needed to make the shots and what was acceptable to be successful. and of course what was not.

hoping for more practice on this this weekend.

Finally out to practice.

300 or so rounds and 5 steel plates. worked on transitions to steel and near to far, far to near.

good practice, really learned a lot about my eyes and being on the front sight.

Rocky Mountain Steel Challenge Regional.

now that was fun..what a great challenge that is..

match was great. Hoser and crew did a great job, match was set and ready to go early..so shot on Friday.

when I got there, I was feeling pretty good, relaxed..as I have never really shot this full competition before. I have shot some of the stages, but not in the full context of a steel challenge match.

First stage..man those sight were on the plate and no hit..WHAT THE??!! this was going to be a long day.

finally got settled in.and shot decently the rest of the day. Love the mental exercise of having to shake off a bad run and get right back in there with a strong mental focus. Love the challenge of fighting off the tension and trying not to get tight in the shoulders.

had a problem with my gun..which kind of unnerved me a bit..and caused me to change and insert a new routine. but I did survive and everything ended working as needed.

Anyway.that was a great experience. I hope to get the opportunity to shoot more of this steel stuff.

whew..headed to Boulder to shoot the first ECO qualifier match..

UGLY!!!!

dropped too many points and just crashed on the last stage.

our last two stages were in the indoor range and I just could not see the targets clearly to make good hits. so ended with with some NS hits and a Mike on the stage. pretty much sunk the match.

needless to say..seeing the weak points is helpful for the future.

indoor match tonight was another reminder in how bad a train wreck can be.

trying to work at calling shots at speed. lost focus on six shots and that is where the derailment began.

hoping to get one more good practice in and a steel match in before packing up and heading to HDC match.

much to do, much to learn.

Back from the High Desert Classic and getting back into the groove of being home.

Match was not a stellar performance, but a great time.

I was calling shots better and the accuracy was up..but was slower for it. when I pushed the *thumb rest [generic]* harder I would drop a lot more points.

a lot of practice is needed to marry the speed and the shot calling better.

not sure where to go from here, but will venture forward and see where I end up.

Snap out of it man...... You are what you think, right? If you think you suck, then your performance will suck. If you think you are good, then you will be good.

Go out and do some practice and focus on the Good. Confirm that you “CAN” do what you want to do in order to bring your moral up. Some times you need to go and practice the stuff you know you are good and solid at just to build up your confidence level again. I know I do some times.

Don’t focus on the negative as it will just grow like a cancer and consume everything you do.

I know I suck at a lot of things. I know that I am good at some things as well. More importantly I know that I am working on the things that I suck at to make them non-suck items. The progress of this work may not always meet my expectations, but its still a win if I continue to work on making them non-suck items. Does it really matter if it happens tomorrow or next year if I keep working on it diligently? We all have a different learning curve and can’t set a standard against someone else’s learning schedule.

Make it fun and it will come all that much easier. If you continually focus on the “Suck” then it turns into a grind. Then it isn’t fun any more.

Decided to go to Colorado State match.

one day match..so easy on the schedule and pocketbook. looking forward to getting back out.

Club match Sunday..went reasonably well. found some problems with being properly focused when prepping to shoot stages.

Stage 1 was decent run. Close targets. Couple of different ways to shoot, I picked a safer, more steps, but less direction changes way. Looked a D into the last target. otherwise time was in the hunt with the other production shooters and 2 seconds off the open and limited guys.

Stage 2. A little more accuracy needs as target out about 20 yards. Open targets and couple of poppers. Had a jam, cost maybe a second or two to clear. too many C's after the jam. Steel was one shot each

Stage 3 was good. good plan. started holding a snake ( I hate snakes). had four targets where you had to hold it and then stuff it into a barrel. Decent hits, good time. Came out on top in production, fourth overall in the combined.

Stage 4. a decent stage. shot a miss when I stumbled on a rock, but that happens. I ran this smooth, even with a standing reload.

Stage 5. Here is the lack of focus. Classifier. Riverdale Stds. Wife called as I was the "In the hole" shooter and talked to me till I was the "On deck" shooter. my fault, I let her, but I last my prep time and when I shot the stage, even though it was straight forward stage. I was not on the sight.

two mikes, quarter inch into the hardcover. OUCH.

Stage 6. A lot of running, go prone at the last, all shots through ports. Again. shoot it steady, decent hits.

Match tonight..working on stage prep and focus

Indoor match tonight..

happy with the results.

both stages were the same, but with different light conditions.

3 close targets from a box, three close between boxes, 4 close from the second box and 2 far targets. pretty much a hosefest with a little off the throttle at the end.

first run was decent 11.5 seconds but too many points off. 6C, 1D

second run in low light, I changed my reload sequence and did an extra one ( one at each shooting position this time ) but aimed a little more. 13 seconds, with 1 B, 1C.

overall I am happy with my attention level for the night. a nice boost to the "I can really shoot" voice.

also nice evening talking shooting, mindset, equipment with Glenn Higdon and Ron Avery.

State match was this past weekend.

match was good on many levels for me.

Through the match..I was calm, relaxed. I felt like I shot assertively through the whole match.

I liked the mindset I had. Now if I can work with that, and be in that place I feel like I have a really solid foundation to work from.

My shooting on the move still needs work, I need to see faster too.

I have some training coming up the next few months, so will see if I can make some improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

taking some time off...too much going on in the world right now.

not sure what I'll do with the rest of the summer. going to shoot the indoor match tonight with a borrowed open gun. experiment a bit with a red dot and see what I can see.

indoor match was fun..found out how to make an aftec extractor choke. :roflol:

see if I can dig up mags and run an open gun for a short time.

amazing what you can see with the dot. how fast you can call shots.

see what happens next. I can never stay away too long.

Edited by eerw

see if I can dig up mags and run an open gun for a short time.

amazing what you can see with the dot. how fast you can call shots.

It's fun running (with) an Open Gun... maybe stick with one and join the dark side.

Keep us posted!

post-3295-1247091374_thumb.png

Edited by schmitz

ran the open gun in today's match, had thought about running single stack..but after looking at the stages figured I could through with my two mags..one big stick and one 140mm mag.

good fortune was not smiling as I was plagued with mag problems on most of the stages..mag spring was just not feeding the round fast enough and I was getting jams..so with permission from the match dir. I ran my single stack on my last stage.

I was pleased with that stage..I was seeing the sights well, made good movement. while not a good open gun run.. it was enough to keep me pleased.