• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ah..the planets are spinning right.

through some more good friend sponsorship I have an STI .40 in my hands. Through other sources, bullets, brass, primers.

I am busily reconfiguring mags, dryfiring a little and waiting for some dies to sit down and load. I need to rebuild my knee so I can run and support a shooting platform, but I can feel the excitement growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Got shoot on Sunday at Pueblo West. what a great match. There was a good crowd too for a nationals going on on the same weekend.

Loaded up the mags and tried to run in Limited Division with some of the folks still here.

Six stage match and while not the best performance there was a couple of high points that I can build on.

Much of the downside was due to changing stage plans, running on the edge of mag capacity and getting a little behind in shot calling.

So while not a great performance, I good about what needs to be worked on.

• 2 months later...

wow...been two months since I last wrote.

Have shot a couple of matches shooting Limited. That has been both fun and frustrating. My skillset is off quite a bit from the lack of practice. Mainly in shot calling at the mid-range distances. in the last couple of matches I have had several misses into hardcover.

I hope to settle into a more routing dryfire schedule and maybe I can pick some of this up again. I also need to schedule a visit to the eye doctor and adjust my vision again for the front sight.

a small match tomorrow night at the indoor range so looking forward to getting out and competing a little.

Indoor match last night. Shot on ICORE tombstone targets and scoring so shots out of the X and 10ring add time to the raw time.

Targets were close, only difficulty really was shooting under a wall.

Two stages: First stage was three string. Starting prone, 3 targets under a wall, standing natural, 3 targets through a port, toes on line, hands on mark facing left, three targets. Stage 2 was these three strings put into one stage.

Shot a new gun setup. Had testfired the trigger and sighted in on Saturday afternoon. Gun ran great, trigger was great too. Trying a slightly thicker sight to see if aligning in the notch is quicker than running a thinner front sight. we will see as I need to get this into the daylight too.

Also tested out my magazine setup too. Have two SP01 mags fitted up with Bolen followers, springs and CZ Custom ext basepads. Fit the 140mm gauge and hold 23 rounds. Those ran without a hitch too.

Anyway, fun to get out, fun to have equipment that performs, and fun to kind of keep my head in the shooting.

Stu> You were looking pretty solid last night with decent hits. Its nice to have you back at the matches. When I was watching you shoot I kept saying to myself "He is a bad ass!!!" :goof:

haha thanks..I like watching you and some of the others..makes me want to get practicing again.

on that last stage..at the start position it dawned to me at the words standby..hey..you don't have to stand here, you can move and shoot..hahaha..then I locked up my trigger on the 5 and 6th shots..haha..thinking too much.

I hope this year will be good year..

you have been doing awesome. look forward to being out there.

Made some minor changes to gear last night.

Dremeled on the holster a little to allow my hand to grab only the gun and make no contact the holster. Initial dryfire, the draw seemed a little more consistent.

Worked out a frontsight. Going to try a little thicker this time. Up to a .110 plain black in a .125 notch. Decent amount of light, but a little easier to center and not be off.

Dryfire consisted of working on a lower stance, deeper knee bend when shooting on the move.

Also worked on readjusting my grip pressure a little. More relaxed in my strong hand and more pressure from the weak hand.

Do a few more sessions with these tweaks and get out for some live fire.

• 3 months later...

wow...several months since I last posted..guess its been that long since I have gotten to really shoot.

much of the time has been working, we had layoffs which has left my staff running pretty hard.

Also getting to do some CZ work, which is pretty cool and gets me to do some group shooting when testfiring them

Anyway, got to shoot the indoor match last night. Good to see a lot of the fast guns out and playing.

Indoor match is only a couple of stages, which was lucky for me as I was able to dig up about 40 rounds.

First stage was 16rounds, three positions. This went pretty smoothly except for one trigger problem in the first position of 8 quick shots. Working through the problem costs about 2+ seconds.

Second stage was the classifier "Front Sight". This went smoothly, not fast, but smooth. It only hit factored a 10.095, but I was happy with seeing the sights.

All in all a pretty decent match.

• 1 year later...

tag...been away from shooting a bit. a few distractions and priority changes.

Hoping in the next few months as things hopefully settle in, that I will be back on the range and begin practicing and shooting matches again.

Need to restart a dryfire routine. I am suspecting my skill level has fallen off quite a bit and a lot of work will be needed.