Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Reloads

CenTX

I was on another list that doesn't speak well of IDPA or IPSC shooters, but a couple of interesting thoughts did come up, including this:

"As late as 1916, there were documented instances of military officers noting that one of the "problems with the new service pistol" was that the magazine could be lost, leaving one with a single shot pistol. Early magazines for the Model 1911 pistol had a lanyard loop on them so that they could be secured to the person so that when a reload was accomplished, the magazine would not be lost."

Would the use of lanyards on magazines allow you to "drop" the magazine and still have "retention"?

I was on another list that doesn't speak well of IDPA or IPSC shooters, but a couple of interesting thoughts did come up, including this:

"As late as 1916, there were documented instances of military officers noting that one of the "problems with the new service pistol" was that the magazine could be lost, leaving one with a single shot pistol. Early magazines for the Model 1911 pistol had a lanyard loop on them so that they could be secured to the person so that when a reload was accomplished, the magazine would not be lost."

Would the use of lanyards on magazines allow you to "drop" the magazine and still have "retention"?

Gamer. :P;)

Don'teventhinkaboutit.... :D

Sorry, you can't do it. I copied this from the rulebook:

Tactical Reload (Tac-Load) is recharging the gun during a lull

in the action by:

A. Drawing a spare magazine prior to the ejection of the partial

magazine from the gun.

B. Dropping the partial magazine from the gun.

C. Inserting the spare magazine into the gun.

D. Stowing the partial magazine properly (See “proper

magazine retention” in the glossary).

"Proper Magazine Retention: A place for a partially loaded

magazine to be stowed before firing the first shot after a reload.

These places include: pants pocket; vest pocket; jacket pocket;

waistband; magazine pouch. The use of specially designed

pockets, shirt pockets, upper vest pockets, hands or teeth is NOT

permitted."

Edited by Precision40

So I guess a bungee lanyard that sucked the mag into your pocket would not be allowed. :lol:

I know, ... Gammer :P

If it works you could sell that idea to 5.11 :ph34r:

I am curious just because I USPSA mostly it would almost be worth it not to have to kneel to pick the mag I dumped back up.

There was the story about the IPSC shooter (pre IDPA) who, when he arrived at a stage requiring that gun and magazines come off the table; went back to his car and returned with a powerful magnet in his pocket. He picked up his gun, loaded it, a spare magazine went Click! against the magnet and off he went into the stage.

Merlin and I have discussed the rare earth magnet Codpiece... still working on that.

But sometimes, 'accidentally' dropping the mag and doing your reload is faster with the penalty than trying to cram it in your pocket and having the potential of dropping the darn thing anyways.

So I guess a bungee lanyard that sucked the mag into your pocket would not be allowed. :lol:

I know, ... Gammer :P

Anyone else see the inherent danger in a partially loaded mag being pulled back towards your body via an elastic bungee? :ph34r:

Now what was it that that wise Little League coach warned us to always wear?? :wacko:

But sometimes, 'accidentally' dropping the mag and doing your reload is faster with the penalty than trying to cram it in your pocket and having the potential of dropping the darn thing anyways.

So, your rwr/tr is 2.5 seconds slower than your sl reload?

Besides, intentionally droping a mag to avoid the COF req's is FTDR I'd guess, so if you establish a history of doing it ....

Gets us back to the place of round dumping. For it to be called, you have to know a shooters intent. You can't, unless it's a.) obvious (take acting classes?), b.) you talk about it, c.) you establish a tendency to do so ...

Here's the relevant paragraph:

The key issue in the final stage is the "tactical reload." Shooters must be warned that the "tactical reload" requires the exchange of the partial magazine for a full one from behind cover. The partial magazine must be retained in a manner of practical carry. This means the partial magazine must be placed in a pocket, in the belt, or back in a magazine pouch. Lanyards, special baggy pockets, or placing the partial magazine in the mouth are not considered practical. If the partial magazine is dropped to the ground, the shooter may pick it up for retention without penalty. This is simply a standard re-load for revolver shooters.