Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Got Side By Side Play (frame & Slide)

If it is a new frame and slide keep going and get the slide fully on the frame and fully back. Lap it in, then squeeze it JUST until it gets tight again. Lap again, Squeeze again, and lap. Should be good to go.

It is pretty unusual to have a new slide and frame other than GI have play side to side. What make is the slide and frame?

If it is a new frame and slide keep going and get the slide fully on the frame and fully back. Lap it in, then squeeze it JUST until it gets tight again. Lap again, Squeeze again, and lap. Should be good to go.

It is pretty unusual to have a new slide and frame other than GI have play side to side. What make is the slide and frame?

Thanks, smith it is an sti 2011 frame and slide. my first time building a race gun.

so your sugestion is to squeze on the vise? lap and squeeze? will it be accurate gun

or should I just accurail it?

It should be done with a good machinist vise that has parallel jaws. Tighten the jaws then hit the one that closes with a hammer. Protect the slide with a couple of pieces of real thin plastic. Watch the area with cocking serrations. Real easy to damage this area.

Brownells has a "vise" just for this.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...861&s=25667

Did you narrow the frame rails at all?

Yes, I am saying to go ahead and finish getting the slide on the frame THEN squeeze and lap, squeeze and lap. We are talking a thousandth of an inch or two on each squeeze, then lap. You will be able to see when you get good contact from the lap marks.

If it is only a couple thousandths of an inch it will work fine. I would squeeze and lap. If you have 6 or 8 thousandths you can probably still squeeze and get a good long lasting fit. More than that I would call a good gunsmith and ask them what to do, I would call a couple independent of accu-rail too.

Lot's of really bad advice. Slides tend to make a loud noise when they crack. I still don't know what you did to your rails. Pinching slides is not a good thing to do. Perhaps the Accu-rails are the way to go. Or a new lower end and some instruction on how to fit a frame to a slide?

Thanks Dave but my frame is brand new... I think i will call my gun smith and have him fix it. it only off by 5 to 10thousands of an inch.

as for the accurail, i really dont like that stuff.

Say HSMITH the answer is yes I did narrow the frame (rail part of it)

that is the 5 to 10thousands of an inch off compared to my other open gun frame?

Thanks Dave but my frame is brand new... I think i will call my gun smith and have him fix it. it only off by 5 to 10thousands of an inch.

:blink: 5 to 10 thou is a lot to be off by on a new slide/frame fit.

:blink: 5 to 10 thou is a lot to be off by on a new slide/frame fit.

Yeah, but it isn't the end of the frame, and education comes at a price in one way or another. I learned a lot of what I know the hard way too.

Talk to your smith, save the frame, and go on. Tightened slides tend to loosen up sooner than slides that haven't been tightened, but the gun can still shoot great with a couple thousandths of side to side play. With a well fit barrel it will be a VERY minor issue. Worst case, you build the gun, shoot it for a while and then accu-rail it. That sinking feeling in your gut when you realized what had happened really is the worst part of this whole thing.

Hmmm, never had a problem pinching slide rails. Probably done 20-30 in my lifetime. A lot depends on how much you need to pinch. About the most I have had to pinch was .005"-.007".

I suspect what happened was the slide would not start on the frame and metal was removed in the wrong place. That old saying of measure twice, cut once is always true.

Joed and hsmith is right...I will never cut on the frame ever again!!!

if I do, it will only be the most .005 thousands. I can always replace a good SLIDE but not the frame!!! this would be my gun and a keeper.

I noticed that after shooting for 2 years, a gun needs a new slide every time? is it worth PINCHING or should I have EGW weld the frame and refit? if so, how much does EGW charge and what is the turn around?

I figured after 2 years, I would have to Pinch another slide on the frame?

but if I had EGW weld and refit, it would be easier to fit a new slide in 2 years?

Edited by shooterbenedetto

It really depends on how much play there is. If it is only 5 thou I would pinch it. More than that? I don't know, I would talk to a couple smiths that know a lot more about it than I do.

If I did send it to EGW I would send the slide too, that way they can mill the rails square again, true them up and fit the slide. Then it would be done, and you can continue the education.

Send the frame and slide to EGW to have it welded. They will do an excellent job and the charge is very reasonable.

When you squeeze the slide and then lap you are reducing the size of the rails on the frame each time. The slide when heated up during a good practice session swells up and the metal wants to return to its original dimensions because you have stressed it. When it does move towards it's original dimensions it is loose again and you have smaller rails to boot. You are also introducing stress into the metal that if it does not crack immediately can lead to a crack down the road.

If they are going to charge you over $175-$200 then I would just get another frame. One question though. How thick are your slide rails? Hope you did not take too much off the bottom of the slide.

At some point you are better off to just cut your loses and chalk it up to experience.

From EGW's website:

Weld up and machine fit slide to frame $150.00

A little known service that STI offers for frames thast are damaged is to make you a new frame with the same serial number and decommision your other frame (in effect a repair). I can't remember the exact cost but it is substantially less than a new frame and you don't have to do new paperwork because it is a repair and not a new frame.

Thanks, BoB and all of your response, i will call EGW and have it

done correctly. in the mean time I will order another frame and

do it again!!! this time I will measure 5x and cut once! and of course

I will still use my good OLD FILE!!! MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU....

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Please don't use a file as you cannot get a clean, straight cut. It would be a LOT cheaper to send it to a smith & pay a little for the fit & do the rest.

DISCLAIMER! This post is by Benny Hill... :-}

Edited by Merlin Orr