Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Got Side By Side Play (frame & Slide)

Waaayyy beyond my pay grade.. :D

Back in the olden days..blah blah blah...hehe - I am sure Benny as well as others here have done the file fit thing. I think I recall seeing Shred post about fitting a project SS gun with hand tools..??? :huh:

Yeah, it can be done by a patient somebody at home with a little education and good teacher.. lots of measuring, lots of blue, lots of trial fits and lots of lapping. Then you'll get a very nice fit, but not quite up to what the big boys with the big machines can do.

They say the old timers could file a piece of iron rod into a cube accurate and square to thousandths of an inch on all sides, but there's not many left with those skills.

But.. they punched out millions of 1911s in the way back when, with tools that might as well have been donkey-powered so even if you don't get something perfect, you'll get something that's likely to work, plus a ton of experience to help you make the next one better. Repeat until the whole internet knows your name... ;)

I have done a couple with a file. It is TEDIOUS, but not all that hard if you know how to file correctly. Work with an old German toolmaker from the old country sometime, grab the file and start rubbing it both directions good and hard. Your education will start right then and there, I guarandamntee it. You may not understand the initial round of curses directed at you, but it will start.

I was thinkin about putting a sand paper on a glass and file down the slide? and this time, I will file the first front rails on the frame first! so that I can correct

any play on the last rails if there was any play.. AMAZING WHAT EXPIRIENCE CAN DO!!!what do you guys think? I just really think that file can work instead of the machine..I'm looking into the Harbor freight 3 in 1 milling? still expensive about $800.00.

A machine can get out of control REAL FAST it takes a precise set up no error.

Measure every thing..know exactly where metal has to be removed!

Work in very small steps..it would be best to get a book.

I used to have a great book on 1911,s the old school guys did most everything by hand

If you decide to do it yourself get high quality files not china stuff,and keep them free of any chips.

I wish you good luck!

Jim