Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I Went To The Atm...

I stopped by the ATM machine earlier this evening to get some cash and take my kids to go see a movie, while I was getting my cash, I noticed the slot where you insert your card and the slot that the cash comes out of have brail for blind people to use...OK, I thought pretty cool, then it dawns on me??? ....the ATM is a touch screen monitor to make selections, how the hell is a blind person supposed to manage that one?

:blink:

We have vending machines at work that have little brail bumps on the keypad to make your selection. I have always wondered how a blind person can see the products and the associated code number underneath it.

LOL, atleast they couldnt see badly they got f*#ked when the item hangs up by just a little bit and dont drop out :D

I stopped by the ATM machine earlier this evening to get some cash and take my kids to go see a movie, while I was getting my cash, I noticed the slot where you insert your card and the slot that the cash comes out of have brail for blind people to use...OK, I thought pretty cool, then it dawns on me??? ....the ATM is a touch screen monitor to make selections, how the hell is a blind person supposed to manage that one?

:blink:

A few years back I worked at Navy Officer Candidate School in Pensacola (for point of reference, the old Richard Gere movie, "An Officer and a Gentleman", which was based on the school in Pensacola). The Navy paid BIG bucks to refurbish the buildings the officer candidates lived in.

In compliance with GSA regulations, all the rooms had braille lettering under the room numbers.

Okay, so how many BLIND officers does the Navy plan on commissioning, anyway?

In compliance with GSA regulations, all the rooms had braille lettering under the room numbers.

Okay, so how many BLIND officers does the Navy plan on commissioning, anyway?

Many Naval officers go on to successful baseball umpire careers. :D

My cousin has no sight, and for what's it's worth he thinks these half-measures are as ridiculous as they sound in this thread.

Another military one...

About three years ago I was involved in a major renovation project that involved the upgrade of a "freight" elevator to a "passenger/freight" elevator. With the renovation came an upgrade to the control panel and all associated stuff. It included a lighted number panel. I asked why the lighted number panel since the buttons lit up and only turned off when the elevator car reached the correct floor. I was told, "It's for blind passengers."

Consider this.

1. The building was for miltary training. How many blind military members are there going through technical training?

2. Passengers are not authorized on the elevator unless they are accompanying freight or have a profile prohibiting the climbing of stairs.

You figure it out.

Liota

nope this one didnt have any, its all touch screen.....now I could understand if it was one of those new talking ATM's, then they wouldnt have a problem.

Except when the machine loudly announces "YOU HAVE ENTERED THE AMOUNT OF $500 FOR WITHDRAWL, IS THIS CORRECT?"

The next line should be, "PLEASE TAKE YOUR CASH AND RECEIPT.....NOW RUN!!!"

:D

This thread reminded me of an incident at a McDonalds a few years ago. One of my Aikido students drove through and asked for a braille menu. At the drive through window the girl handed him the menu and he began to "read" it with his fingers and ordered a Big Mac, fries and Coke. The girl started screaming to her co-workers, "Oh My God! He's driving! There's a blind guy driving a car here!"

Expensive machines for the non-existant blind persons Dept: While serving (contract instructor) at a community college, the hopeless/clueless ESL instruction supervisor was one day proudly showing me this costly book-reading machine (it talks to you) for the blind that the school had just acquired. I asked her THREE TIMES IN A ROW, "Do we have any sight-impaired students here at [name of college]...??" She flatly refused to answer. I took that as a distinct "No." Whatta damn waste of money.