Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Tough Is The Meopta 1-4x22?

Leozinho

How tough/rugged/reliable is the Meopta 1-4x22? Mil-spec tough? Is it in the same league as the S&B Short Dot or the Leopold CQT, which I understand are quite rugged?

Since I don't think Uncle Sam is going to give me a S&B Short Dot, I'm looking at the Meopta as a poor man's subsitute. I'd run it with BUIS and some sort of quick release mount (so if it completely "fails", I can get it off fairly quickly.)

The plan is to run it at 3-gun matches and put it through the shoothouse, and if it works out I'd take it overseas. It has a lifetime warranty and folks here say customer service is good, but I won't bother buying it if it can't take a few knocks.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Leozinho

The Meopta is a very good scope, I personally don't shoot one but have several friends that do, and Benny Hill is one of them. He can't say enough good stuff about them.

the clarity is great, field of veiw is great, the red dot option is nice,.............Benny have I left anything out?

Trapr

I have the 1.5x5, been on the rifle for 2 yrs now. It hasnt been really abused but it hasnt been taken care of either, its been droped, knocked around in the truck and fell out of a rifle rack at a match or two. Never lost zero or any other problems. From what I have seen the 1x4 is just as good. Benny, Ty Gentry, Doc Ellis, Merlin and just about all the Corpus bunch use them. Except for Ty's loose screws I've never seen a problem with them and all Ty's screws are loose so I suppect the scope is fine.--------------Larry

A good scope. The glass is CRYSTAL clear. I have a bunch of top end scopes and this scope by far has the best glass. I bought the scope this year and use it in 3-gun matches.

Larry you can include me as one of the corpus guys that uses one. B)

How tough/rugged/reliable is the Meopta 1-4x22? Mil-spec tough? Is it in the same league as the S&B Short Dot or the Leopold CQT, which I understand are quite rugged?

I would say no. It is not "Mil-spec tough."

Just by doing a "brick test" (as in how much it weighs) I don't think it is as tough as those other scopes.

It does have a looong fixed sunshade. The Meopta's objective's glass is "protected" in that an angled blow (say from brush, branches or kicked up rocks) to the objective won't even touch the glass. Where on more conventional scopes the glass would get hit.

It does make the cleaning of the objective a bit harder to do. I have long Q-tips inside a compartment of my buttstock in case I have to clean them in the field.

It's good for 3-gun. But 3-gun matches usually aren't physically abusive to scopes. I've yet to have inadvertantly bashed my scope against anything. Most of the shooters on this board probably haven't either.

I wouldn't hesitate in using it "overseas" as long as it was backed up with irons.

If it was alone... I wouldn't use it.

Thanks for the replies. And I apologize for the "tacticool" nature of this thread, but 3 gunners seem to have more experience with this optic. Please bear with me and I'll go back to mostly lurking after this thread. :)

Just by doing a "brick test" (as in how much it weighs) I don't think it is as tough as those other scopes.

It's good for 3-gun. But 3-gun matches usually aren't physically abusive to scopes. I've yet to have inadvertantly bashed my scope against anything. Most of the shooters on this board probably haven't either.

I thought the Meopta weighs the same as the S&B Short Dot - both a bit over 18 ounces.

I agree that 3-gun isn't a great test of durability (but maybe a good test of reliability). But I imagine that someone here knows the a bit about the scope and if it was designed for hunters/competitors or if it was built to be a combat optic as the Leopold CQT and S&B.

Thanks again.

I've run this scope for the last year and have no issues. Glass is great, field of view is great, and the illuminated retical can be seen in bright light. For close range hoser stages, it is not as good as a dot but is a very good all aound optic. I'm selling my EoTech.

I thought the Meopta weighs the same as the S&B Short Dot - both a bit over 18 ounces.

I agree that 3-gun isn't a great test of durability (but maybe a good test of reliability).

Yah I guess the specs say that. :lol: But I could swear that it is lighter than 18.9 oz.

I have the IOR 1.1-4 CQT and it is supposed to be only 16 oz. The Meopta feels like a light weight when compared to the IOR. BTW I heard the IOR failed the 4 Runner test.

Anyways if SGDM says it's been combat tested... it's been combat tested.

I can now go around telling my friends and other shooters I have a combat tested scope. :P

The meopta 1x4x22 k-dot was built for the BIG game rifles in africia & used for years there for close quarters shooting on big game. Talk about not wanting your scope to fail, talking to meopta none has let anyone down there yet. If it can take the recoil of the BIG bores, it will do fine on a 223.

Yah I guess the specs say that. :lol: But I could swear that it is lighter than 18.9 oz.

I have the IOR 1.1-4 CQT and it is supposed to be only 16 oz. The Meopta feels like a light weight when compared to the IOR. BTW I heard the IOR failed the 4 Runner test.

Anyways if SGDM says it's been combat tested... it's been combat tested.

I can now go around telling my friends and other shooters I have a combat tested scope. :P

RS, You might be right about the weight. I read somewhere else in a review it weighed 16 oz.

Benny, I hadn't even considered recoil as the question mark, but rather banging it against doors getting in and out of vehicles, etc. But I'm guessing that recoil over time must do a lot of damage to some scopes.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.