Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest Kicking 9mm Ammo

The Outsider

I'm looking for people's opinion on light kicking 9mm ammo.

I recently started USPSA with my G34 in Production class (using THE tungsten extended guiderod with 13lb ISMI spring), using WWB 115gr. I get a lot of muzzle flip with this combo; even other shooters comment that my gun feels more like a .40 cal than a 9mm.

I really want to solve this problem, and I don't want to start reloading. I was thinking of:

Atlanta Arms & Ammo - 147gr JHP

Winchester - 147gr FMJ-Flat Nose (990fps, 320ft/lbs)

Federal - 147gr TMJ (1000fps)

Any experiences or tips on good ammo would help

Cheers! :D

You finally made it here. You think your wife will let you go out more than once or twice a month to let you shoot at matches now?

As for your ammo question, the Atlanta Arms stuff seems to be pretty good recoil wise. I'm not sure what the PF and velocity are but if i run across some AA rounds, I'll run it over the chrono to see what it reads.

Outsider,

This may not be what you are after but if you are economy minded, the best deal on 9mm ammo in SoCal are the 125 gr Miwall reloads you can get at the Crossroads gun shows. The last time I bought some (summer) they were $95/can of 1000. They chronoed about 133 in my CZ-SP01. There was a noticeable difference in that and the WWB 115 in terms of felt recoil. The WWB chronoed about 137 in my CZ. I never tried the big bullets. Miwall uses a plated bullet. If you want the same size in a FMJ, the Armscore 124 gr are nice.

Later,

Chuck

I recently started USPSA with my G34 in Production class (using THE tungsten extended guiderod with 13lb ISMI spring), using WWB 115gr. I get a lot of muzzle flip with this combo; even other shooters comment that my gun feels more like a .40 cal than a 9mm.

I really want to solve this problem, and I don't want to start reloading. I was thinking of:

With more info this could be quite useful to you.

Recoil Calculator

You finally made it here. You think your wife will let you go out more than once or twice a month to let you shoot at matches now?

As for your ammo question, the Atlanta Arms stuff seems to be pretty good recoil wise. I'm not sure what the PF and velocity are but if i run across some AA rounds, I'll run it over the chrono to see what it reads.

Yup! I finally made it! I've been lurking around for a while, but have been too shy to post.

Anyway, I called Atlanta Arms this morning and ordered today. They run $150/1000 rounds for the 147gr JHP reloads. Danny at Atlanta Arms said that this was the same formulation as what Team Glock is using, but using reloaded brass.

I'm really tired of all the A and C hits at mid-distance. I know I'm better than that, but have to fight the recoil to keep my time low. Hopefully this will make a difference.

No, my wife won't let me out more than 2 weekends a month... not likely to change either, so the 1200 match rounds I ordered has to last me through February. I'll probably buy a can of Miwall reloads for indoor practice later.

When I get the Atlanta Arms, I'd really like to chrono it against the WWB 115gr FMJ and the Miwall 124 JHP.

I might make it out this Saturday to Norco. Maybe I'll see you there!

Edited by The Outsider

i'm not sure what PF the atlanta arms stuff is but if the velocity is too low, you'll have some ejection problems with your glock. chnage the spring out to a 13 or 15 pounder and you should be good to go.

if the wife won't let you out to play, you should buy a reloader so you'll have something gun related to do while you're at home :P .

we'll see you there this saturday.

Scott,

Good to see you here!

I think you will be very happy with the Atlanta Arms ammo; it should work like a charm in your G34 with a 13 lb. spring.

There are several people that I know of that shoot the Atlanta Arms 9mm 147 grain ammo over at Norco, and you might want to ask them for a couple of rounds for your testing. Ask Jim/Lisa Levis or Peter Quan and they should be able to hook you up.

Does the $150.00 per 1,000 rounds include shipping? If not, how much is the shipping per 1,000?

Anyhow, I too am planning to make it out this Saturday so I hope to see you there.

Take care,

Cor

Scott,

Good to see you here!

I think you will be very happy with the Atlanta Arms ammo; it should work like a charm in your G34 with a 13 lb. spring.

There are several people that I know of that shoot the Atlanta Arms 9mm 147 grain ammo over at Norco, and you might want to ask them for a couple of rounds for your testing. Ask Jim/Lisa Levis or Peter Quan and they should be able to hook you up.

Does the $150.00 per 1,000 rounds include shipping? If not, how much is the shipping per 1,000?

Anyhow, I too am planning to make it out this Saturday so I hope to see you there.

Take care,

Cor

Hi Cor!

Per 1000 it should be about $28. A little on the expensive side for my budget, but I won't be using them during my non-IPSC week practice sessions. There's a gun show coming up in Ontario, so I'll try to drop by and pick up some cheap Miwall 124gr JHP.

I think I actually tried one of Lisa's rounds one time and was amazed at how light kicking it was. I'm not sure if it is Atlanta, but it got me thinking about how "mule-like" WWB 115gr ammo is...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Saturday. I have to get a baby-sitter for my kids ;)

Cheers!

Scott

Your experience with 115 gr is interesting...

Like just about everybody Down Under I have almost never shot factory loads in anything other than 22's and shotgun... commercial rifle/pistol ammo is just too expensive for regular use here...

We ALL load our own.... and I must say in working up a load for my Glock 17A (the A designates the slightly longer barrel Glock puts on these to satisfy Aussie laws.. clever company!) I too found the 115 to be rather "snappy"...

I ended up settling for a 125gr load with a decent charge of a relatively slow powder..

No point saying what/how much.. it's an Aussie made powder..... made by ADI.. which just happens to make lots of powders for the US market.. but THEY are shipped out in bulk and not routinely sold here .... Bummer!!

The Outsider,

I might as well welcome you to the forum...with a swift kick to the nutz. :)

I could be wrong, but your posts indicated to me that you need some work and instruction on your grip and stance.

Until you get that taking care of, you will likely continue to be a bit frustrated.

No worries though...you are in the right place...you are on the path.

The Outsider,

I might as well welcome you to the forum...with a swift kick to the nutz. :)

I could be wrong, but your posts indicated to me that you need some work and instruction on your grip and stance.

Until you get that taking care of, you will likely continue to be a bit frustrated.

No worries though...you are in the right place...you are on the path.

Thanks for the reply...

I've video taped myself from a first-person view and noted that my muzzle jumps around a lot more than I'd like when I'm shooting. For relatively close distance it doesn't make much difference, but it takes me much more time than I'd like to bring the muzzle back down on target for mid and long range shots.

Of course my accuracy problems only appear when I'm pushing my own speed envelope. If I'm just standing and taking my time, I can regularly keep a 1" group at 50'.

I don't think a lighter load could hurt much at this point. And it couldn't hurt to have Hiro and Cor (who are really great shooters) check my grip out this weekend.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Edited by The Outsider

I've been shooting Monarch "green box" for a Production load out of my G17. $5.86 a box at Academy. Reloadable brass cases and seems to burn cleaner than WWB. Shoots well and recoil is soft (126 PF last I chronoed!)

I wish there was an Academy out here in California. That Monarch stuff sound interesting, as does the UMC that someone else mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
....but it takes me much more time than I'd like to bring the muzzle back down on target for mid and long range shots.

Not to add to the "nut kick" but I think Flex nailed a much larger issue than just ammo based on your response to longer target distances and the recovery time you indicate.

Play with your grip, arm position, upper body alignment relative to your stance. When dialed in the sights will bounce back to the starting position with little to no effort on your part regardless of the PF of the 9mm.

Another issue to consider while you are looking at recoil. 147's may be softer feeling BUT I found that the they make the slide move slower and you spend time waiting for the sights to be back where you can use them. Depending on you skill level this may or may not be an issue, but after a couple of years of 147 I've switched to 124's which provide a compromise beween recoil and slide speed.

It may not be your thing right now, but I would STRONGLY suggest loading your own ammo. I was in the same boat as you, shooting Prod with WWB ammo...until I purchased a Dillon 550 from Mr. Enos. The difference is dramatic!

Several months ago, I got a grip lesson from Flex and another GM (Bob V) and after working on that, there is another significance in perceived recoil. Good ammo and good technique work hand-in-hand.

....but it takes me much more time than I'd like to bring the muzzle back down on target for mid and long range shots.

Not to add to the "nut kick" but I think Flex nailed a much larger issue than just ammo based on your response to longer target distances and the recovery time you indicate.

Play with your grip, arm position, upper body alignment relative to your stance. When dialed in the sights will bounce back to the starting position with little to no effort on your part regardless of the PF of the 9mm.

I ended up doing quite a few things... My collegues adjusted my grip and I switched off to Atlanta Arms ammo; my points have gone way up, on average (a lot less C hits). I video tape my self with my self-made "HoserCam" and I can see a huge difference in muzzle flip.

Now my focus is on transitions and shooting on the move, and so on and so on and so on...

I've been using Winshester 147gr. I like the feel of this ammo in my M&P. It's all department issue but as the saying goes, If it's not broken don't fix it. I don't have any experience with the AA ammo but if I get the opportunity I'll try it to see how it turns out.

• 2 months later...

Go with the Atlanta Arms 147 gr. I use this round in my G34 & it is the lowest recoiling 9mm I found.

Edited by Joseph796