Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Todd Jarrett Single Stack 45

Cuz

I'm looking for a single-stack 45 and am considering the Todd Jarrett Limited Edition Para. Can anyone give me any info on it? How does it stack up to other single-stack 45? Basically, I'm just looking for a steel framed full size 45. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I heard through the rumor mill that not even TJ is having much success with the Power Extractor system. I have yet to see a Para with the Power Extractor system do much of anything but generate streams of profanity.

I would *strongly* consider passing on the Para and buying a 1911 with a standard extractor, just like JMB intended for it to have.

If you really just HAVE to have a Para. Find a gunsmith that knows how to sleeve the extractor channel so you can use a standard extractor. Personally, I'd just buy an STI S_____n and be done with it.

Thanks for the info. STI Spartans are not MA Compliant so I don't see one in my future.

I don't "have" to have a Para. Just wondered because they looked nice. Boy, if they are having trouble with that extractor that's going to be a very big deal for them.

The Smith & Wesson 1911 is also an option, but for some reason I've never been fond of them. There's just too many used ones in "like new" condition for sale. Worries me a bit...

-Cuz.

Thanks for the info. STI Spartans are not MA Compliant so I don't see one in my future.

I don't "have" to have a Para. Just wondered because they looked nice. Boy, if they are having trouble with that extractor that's going to be a very big deal for them.

The Smith & Wesson 1911 is also an option, but for some reason I've never been fond of them. There's just too many used ones in "like new" condition for sale. Worries me a bit...

-Cuz.

If you want a S&W, look for a later model Koenig with the internal extractor.

• 4 weeks later...

My Para works great, after I replaced the slide with a Caspian and put in a aftec extractor. I personally would never buy another gun with the "power Extractor" in it. Although I know a few guys that have had zero problems with theirs.

My Para works great, after I replaced the slide with a Caspian and put in a aftec extractor. I personally would never buy another gun with the "power Extractor" in it. Although I know a few guys that have had zero problems with theirs.

I have seen several of the power extractors fail to work. When I started shooting limited-10 one year ago I bought one and I never got it to work right. This gun would not even feed factory ammo and when I got it to feed it would not extract. I never shot a full box of ammo out of the gun. I also had two kimbers that had the external extractors and I never had any luck with them extracting either. I will never own a 1911 that has an external extractor again.

I have a 16-40, and had a little trouble with it at first. It just did not feed well. After polishing the feed ramp, and putting 700-800 rounds through it, it runs smooth. I will say this, I like my Para, but there is a huge difference in quality between it, and my STI Trojan. If you are looking for a single stack I would go with a STI Trojan 5" or 6" for an entry, and any of there other single stacks. I plan on getting a Range Master this year. I know I can't use it in the single stack division, but I really like that pistol.

We had a guy shoot a Para 16-40 in last weekend's match. He was a first time shooter and competing in Limited. He didn't get through a single COF without multiple jams.

I have a S&W 1911Sc that I use as a backup to my Springer Black Stainless for L-10/SS competition. I now have 2300 rounds through it and have yet to have a single problem. It has an external extractor so at least some of them work well.

it's funny how both Para and Kimber have had an "improved" extractor generate more problems than it solved.

No kidding, Kimbers "improved extractor" worked so well that they went back to the internal extractor. I talked to a head gunsmith from Kimber and even he said they made a mistake going to the external unit.

" If you want a S&W, look for a later model Koenig with the internal extractor."

That's interesting. I didn't know Smith was coming out with an internal extractor...good news. Maybe it doesn't have their FP safety either?

With no experience with the Power extractor, I still think it would be WISE if Para, at least, offered the option of the "regular" internal extractor. Options are good!!

Edited by Irishlad

Thanks for all the input. I ended up doing a complete 180 and acquired an STI Eagle in 9mm. I decided that 45acp bullets were getting way too expensive to use for local plate shoots. The 9mm bullets cost half as much. Of course, I'll have to use the savings to outfit my Dillon with everything needed to start loading 9mm now. But that's an investment rather than an expenditure.

-Cuz.