Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going Home For The Holidays!

uscbigdawg

So it's pure happiness-eve. I've finished packing for the trip home 'cept for the laptop and basically the stuff going in my backpack/carry-on. All the guns are going home with me and all but the open gun fit in my brand new Pelican 1750. Got the green light from SWA that it's cool for a checked bag and doesn't really count 'cause they consider it "Recreational Luggage". Gotta love those guys. Regardless it's got the Benelli, the 16" Tacticool rifle, the ACOG (which unfortunately I had to take off the rifle to get it to fit) and my G22. Not bad and looks pretty cool. Took about 15 minutes and I wasn't going for style (see that if you look you can see my Sharpie trace lines on most of the holes....directions? :blink::D ).

Got more ink work done last night. This one is an in-progress piece for my Southern California roots (born there; raised up north). B)

Got the engagement/wedding ring in hand (actually in the truck) and to surprise the fiancee I'll be changing upon my arrival at Oakland into uniform and propose to her there (she proposed to me first but some things should still be old fashioned). From there it's off to the courthouse (yeah not the most romantic wedding but I'm leaving for Afghani-land in 3 weeks so romance isn't exactly a high priority right now).

Got a new bag to carry my clothes and such. Perfect size and carries everything and is relatively small! Oh....even got a decent haircut today.

Now, the only problem is I'm waiting for the problem to happen. Call it pesimism, I call it that I can't believe I pre-planned this well.

So, to keep the good karma going, to my BE.com family and friends. God bless each and every one of you, Safe return for our men and women currently deployed as well as my brothers and sisters I'll be deploying with. Have a safe and joyous holiday season and hope to see all of you in 2008!!!

Richard A. White

P.S. As soon as I get a mailing address for downrange, I'll post it....and you Mo' Frappies better write! :lol: (I'm kidding)

The very best of the season to you and your family, Rich. Congrats to you and your special lady. Don't worry about the courthouse ceremony - it's not the place, but the people who count. My wife and I did that, and we're still tight after all these many years. Besides, you can always do it in grander style when you're finally home for good.

If I don't see you before you head over, then take extra care - after all, it will not just be for you yourself that you'll be watching out for.

Kevin

Edited by kevin c

So I got home without too much of a headache. Kind of an interesting trip actually. My pesimism has no limits.

Got up, got ready and hit the road at 0400. Had to go to Brigade CQ to sign out and after a little bit they found my leave form and I was poppin' smoke for Raleigh. Wow....let me just say there's a reason I thank myself for leaving early. Foggy doesn't describe the roads and literally almost died 2-3 times. But, once I got to Fuquay-Varina all was aces.

So get to the airport and after having to walk most of the length 'cause SWA, while in Terminal A they are on the FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR end of Terminal A. Got there and no issues with check-in. My agent was great and cleared 4 guns in about 5 minutes. Then comes the TSA moron. After realizing that I had locks on my rifle case he asked for my keys. Eventually he got the hint that he wasn't going to get the keys and walked the case over to me. Then, he was going to not put the locks back on the case once his "search" was done, until he peered over and saw me and 3 other soldiers all watching for each others firearms getting inspected (or cased may be a better word). All in all, not a huge deal. The inconsistency is what bugs me.

Oh...so now we go to security check. This is where the fun begins. Didn't know that you couldn't bring anything with gel/liquid through security. Again, pretty retarded, but I had my shaving kit with me since I was changing into uniform in Oakland and wanted to look my best for the bride. Oh no. They took my shaving cream (aerosol), hair gel (gel), deodorant (gel), toothpaste (gel-like?) and Axe spray (aerosol). Didn't freak out over the nail clippers, Mach 3 razor, sewing kit and mini-Leatherman...but heaven forbid I can put a little "product" in my hair. :lol:

So now the topper. I wade through the lines at security to get to the X-Ray. Backpack down, shoes off, watch, etc. They stop my bag and the X-Ray tech asks (nicely) if I have a laptop in my backpack. I said, "oh crap, sorry I totally left it in there". He was cool with it and called an agent over to initiate a search. Not a big deal, I understand the process. Oh no. Miss Super Trooper grabs the bag (knowing that there is a laptop in it) says something to the effect of am I too stupid to read the sign and begins to search the bag (about 20 feet from me) while I'm still getting my shoes on. Never being one to back down from a pissing contest, I asked her that in the future she may want to wait to open someone's bag until that person is able to watch the search. It is a Constitutional right after all. She said she was and at that point before I could ask for the security supervisor to come over he comes over and asks her who's bag is she searching ('cause there was no one standing there with her). She said mine and instructed her to stop until I came over and watched. That was not what she wanted to hear, and of course had to throw in the obligatory "I told her, but I'm just a stupid soldier."

Fast forward through the inspection. Super Troopette finishes the search and then tosses my backpack on to the table in front me, I'll say "place(s)" my laptop on top. As she's walking away and the laptop is falling to the floor, both the supervisor and I catch it and she walks away saying that he was standing there listening to my lies. I simply asked, "do you already need to know if I'm going to file a complaint today?" He replied with nope not at all, I'm embarrassed and that she would be going home. I filed my report. I can't stand these TSA folks presuming guilt on people. They are mall security working at an airport and American citizens do not deserve to be treated this way.

So, drive on to my flight(s). Decent flight from RDU to Phoenix (5 hours crap...I knew I should have grabbed some drugs out of my aid bag before going to the airport). Hung out with some fellow Joe's in Phoenix waiting for our various flights to California. Got a front row seat. Sweeet!!!

Got to Oakland, put the infamous 82nd Class A's on (we wear jump boots with our instead of the low quarters and of course the crimson beret!). Especially since I got to rock jump wings finally (didn't tell most of you but they were able to work a deal out and once I completed Basic Airborne Refresher will be able to be back fully on jump status from when I went through BAC in 1995).

So the little woman cruises up to the airport with me in my 'best' and in front of everyone, take my knee and propose. It was very, very cheesy but cool. Went to the courthouse, grabbed some witnesses from the couple before us and about an hour later tah-dah!

Went home without an issue on the freeway (weird) and then met up with the parental units. Slept better than ever in MY bed last night.

It's great to be home. It feels like I've been in a time warp as I don't have a TV at Bragg (on purpose) and after spending last year in Korea there's soooooo much that I don't know about (probably for the better).

So thanks for all the well wishes. It was great getting thanks from folks in the airport. I can't tell you how we as members of the military appreciate this. It never, ever gets old (although the lady offering me $100 yesterday was a bit much).

God Bless each of you.

Rich

P.S. Oh yeah that tax-free deployment money is already spent. The wife wants a SJC Open gun and maybe a JP rifle. I got dibs on a GA Precision rifle and/or a Tubb 2000. Then there's my new AR's.

Rich,

Sounds like an event. Congrats on the new Mrs. Uscbigdawg. Since she technically is part of my family now (since we are cousins) she must accompany you to Fayette MO in May (BTW Squad 2). There is room at Casa de' Pinto for the lovely bride as well.

Be good and check your 6

Mike

Were you wearing anything to indicate you were in the military while dealing with security? I'm surprised the supervisor came over and was so apologetic, especially since you weren't "respecting their authority," but maybe he didn't want to cause a scene with a soldier.

Mike,

When I get back in January/February of 2008, I'll be doing EVERYTHING I can to be in the SMM3G that year and have the Mrs. in tow. Definitely have to get together for that. I'm still scheduled for mid-tour leave around the US3GN in Tulsa so we'll see if I luck out with that. Either way, you can count on a visit from us.

Tim - the LARGE backpack in ACU pattern (and by large I mean it's about a 5 day pack) should have been indication enough of who my employer is. If not the Airborne t-shirt and fresh haircut should have probably helped too. Nonetheless after our 'encounter' I can definitely she wasn't the brightest person in the Triangle area.

The supervisor was super helpful and apologetic. What helped was that he watched the ENTIRE exchange and therefore saw my point completely instead of having to listen to two seperate stories.

Oh...another tip. Be careful of which of Matt's radio shows you listen to while in flight. I was catching up on old ones I hadn't listened to yet and his post-Czech horror story came up about getting his guns stolen in Chicago. I was white knucklin' it all the way 'til I saw my Pelican case come off the luggage carousel. :D

All in all it was a good trip. Good people along the way and don't really have a complaint.

Hope to see y'all in '08!

Rich

Got the Christmas present from Dad today via JP Enterprises. Nothing like cracking open a box and finding a brand new SS-LMOS and buffer waitin' for ya. Too sweet...especially with the black coating. :ph34r:

Yet another part to the new rifle done.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Thanks for the offer Mike. Between you and the Mrs. it's been more than a battle on where the guns are being stored while I'm away. Hands down, I'd have to say I can't keep rifles anywhere near you and Kurt. My poor rifles will have the barrels akin to a smooth-bore shotgun by the time I got back. :lol:

I will have my eyes open for some goodies down range for you and Kurt though. If it is even close to what I'm expecting, y'all will be happy.

Rich

Thanks for the offer Mike. Between you and the Mrs. it's been more than a battle on where the guns are being stored while I'm away. Hands down, I'd have to say I can't keep rifles anywhere near you and Kurt. My poor rifles will have the barrels akin to a smooth-bore shotgun by the time I got back. :lol:

I will have my eyes open for some goodies down range for you and Kurt though. If it is even close to what I'm expecting, y'all will be happy.

Rich

For the record, I have only wore out 1 barrel (this year). I think a couple thousandths have come off the rifling of my current one, but will still hold groups. ;)

If a feller could make a .223 shotgun shell that would work with an AR magazine, we might be in business. Not to mention Kurt would have many more usable barrels!! :D

Seriously though, if you need anything while in "Fill in the blank_istan" let me know and it will be there..

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So spent the weekend (New Year's that is) bouncing back and forth between Fairfield and Roseville. Pops got more than a little sick this weekend. Thankfully I was here or else I'd have been a vegetable before my deployment. Good news is that he's alright now.

Eventful to say the least.

Rich

Hey uscbigdawg, Congratulations on roping in the little lady, good luck down range!

I'm here at Bragg and have three "vacations" in a##crackistan, so if you need anything before or during that the family cant get, dont hesitate to shoot a PM, I'm retired but still very "resourceful!"

Stay Safe!

• 4 months later...

Home on R&R from Afghani-land. So far pretty uneventful (at least on what I can talk about). 18 months to go 'til I ETS and it can't come soon enough. Just ready to be a civilian again.

So...update on little things to my BE.com family. Got divorced (yeah...I think it was a record on the level of Drew Barrymore). Luckily soon after the paperwork was finalized I did truly find the woman of my dreams. California girl, through and through and wants to move to AZ...so I can shoot more. Go figure.

Anyways, I'll be in northern CA for Mother's Day weekend and will be trying to shoot at Yolo at the monthly on Sunday morning. Hope to see my Sac and Bay area families there too. I miss you guys to pieces and coming home to bright and sunny 90 degree California has been so far a priceless experience.

Can't wait to see y'all on the range both here in CA and around the country when me and Stef start the circuit again.

Take care and God Bless.

Rich

Home on R&R from Afghani-land. So far pretty uneventful (at least on what I can talk about). 18 months to go 'til I ETS and it can't come soon enough. Just ready to be a civilian again.

So...update on little things to my BE.com family. Got divorced (yeah...I think it was a record on the level of Drew Barrymore). Luckily soon after the paperwork was finalized I did truly find the woman of my dreams. California girl, through and through and wants to move to AZ...so I can shoot more. Go figure.

Anyways, I'll be in northern CA for Mother's Day weekend and will be trying to shoot at Yolo at the monthly on Sunday morning. Hope to see my Sac and Bay area families there too. I miss you guys to pieces and coming home to bright and sunny 90 degree California has been so far a priceless experience.

Can't wait to see y'all on the range both here in CA and around the country when me and Stef start the circuit again.

Take care and God Bless.

Rich

rich-how long's yer r&r? yolo on mom's day not a good idea. capsl on 5/19, ncps on 5/27, and if u have a real r&r, 3 gun at ncps the next day.