dirtypool40

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a cousin, in Pamama City, that builds cues...

http://www.breakpointques.com/kevin-diag.jpg

I know nothing about them (and I haven't seen him in years and years).

I checked them out, those are nice, classic styling, just like I have always apprecited. :cheers:

Couple of latest updates / minor hero stories.

I was in the gym last week when my team captain (league) calls and says she needs me to play. It's a handicapped league, and as I am the highest rating, they can't always play me. She says they have to play the team with the big dog of the league, and wants to match me up with him.

I tell her I am mid workout, WORN OUT and think she'll do better "feeding me" a 3 or 4, and feeding him one too, so they trade wins, with no net loss for the team, better strategery. :ph34r:

She says "nope, no one else TO play, you're it". :surprise: So I accept my fate, lose the first game, and then win the match 5-1. :cheers:

Then this past weekend I play a local tournament. Race to 4 (meaning you win the match when you've won 4 games), playing handicapped 9-ball.

My opponent gets to break the first game, nothing goes in. I step up, cold, new cue and all and run out, four racks.

That first break was the only shot she got in the set. :rolleyes:

First time it's ever happened to me, and it's "only" a "4" as they say, but it was good for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys, just passing through.

This past weekend I got out to the range for the first time in... a REALLY long time. :rolleyes: I literally haven't had my rig on since Area 6 LAST YEAR!!! <_<

It's a new range, out on some nice property, and the owner seems like a good dude, very open minded, full of good energy. :cheers:

We went out as a group, and took up 4 bays, testing new guns, showing new shooters some safety procs, comparing different AR's. Just a relaxed plinking session with 6-7 people enjoying guns in the gorgeous 70 degree FL November.

I spent most of the time working with my sister and brother in law on basic safety stuff.

Towards the end of the session, a couple guys started playing with a stage left over from the last IDPA match. The owner was telling them he'd run it in 14.80 and was showing them how.

I got dragged over, and yes, I was scared I would embarrass myself after after 18 months off. My buddies were throwing around the term "IPSC" and "GM" so to the owner I went from "plinker" to someone to watch real quick.

I got prodded into loading up a swingle stack carry gun (ZH would be proud) and after listening to the owner describe "how to" in IDPA speak, I took my first beep in a year and a half. It was a quick, fun course and I felt like a pig on roller skates. Even my sister piped up the second I unloaded to say "jeez, umm, you don't look at ALL like those old videos of you in matches, not as..... smooth". Thanks Sis. <_<

I was very jerky, and never saw the sights or felt the trigger, but it was all close IDPA stuff, longest target a 11y popper, and a couple partials.

I went 12.40 / -3 and the owner smiled and gave me a good natured "ah... ya prick!". First shot to a -0 / A was a 1.15, no covering garmet. For a first "live draw" in a while, I'll take it. :rolleyes:

So, I decided what the hell, and decided I wanted to try it with the Limited gun, more like I SHOULD be shooting it.

I literally had to scrounge mags, and ammo from HARDBALL.

1st shot to an 8y A was a .97 and I ran a 8.50, down 3, with one extra shot, making up a -3 with a zero in .19.

Neither run was smooth, or GM level, but I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

I can't come back now, but I did remember how much I enjoyed that sport, and I WILL be back.

Miss you guys. :cheers:

Shot my first match in about 18mo and had a BLAST!!!

Damn! That is a fun sport, I gotta think about getting back into it...

..in 3-4 years.

70+ Shooters, weather in the 60's, GREAT stages, getting to say hi to bunches of friends I haven't seen in ages. Looooong day, but I had a blast.

I told myself I was gonna go slow, and not embarrass myself, really see the sights and just take slow times, with lots of A's and be really safe.

Yeah, well, that lasted until LAMR :rolleyes:

I figure I shot about 85% of my old pace, and maybe 70% of my old points. Overall, I was probably entertaining as hell to watch. :roflol: I could not get away from "pull off" mikes, leaving an array, and had one PER STAGE!!! <_< I'd shoot a patient A/C on a mover with a no-shoot covering half the target, then fling C/M at an open static. Go figure.

Ric Arnold has made a miraculous change in that club. It was the WORST match in the state, ALWAYS the same 5 stages, with a target or a box moved, and a control freak with ZERO creativity at the helm. Ric took that, added his energy, great props, let people get out of the box, and I am telling you, it's contender for best local match I've ever seen.

They had activated targets on EVERY STAGE, 6 GREAT stages, and I didn't "stand in a box to shoot" ONCE!!! BRAVO RIC!!!

My timing and smoothness we "a little off" and getting things rolling the first three stages was a challenge. I shot the last three pretty smooth considering, and won one stage over the field, including the Open guys.

When the smoke cleared, I was 3rd out of about 70 shooters, 2 points out of 2nd, and I squeaked out a win in Limited by those same 2 points. :cheers:

There you go shooting a match on the day of the Florida Florida State game. I was gonna try my hand at USPSA again at the range that day if not for the game. I finally decided to freshen up my 15 year old SVI .40 with some tuned mags a Dawson magwell and a new CR speed rig in an effort to try USPSA again after 15+ years. I even got to renew with my old number back when I shot limited B with a SS colt.

Maybe next time.

Sami S

Maybe next time.

Sami S

Bummer, well, I may try to come out in December, or hit Malabar.

I had a blast, and on the positive side, I didn't miss a load all day and ended the day with a 1.06 draw to a 10y plate. Not crazy fast, I know, but after 18mo off, I'll take it.

We thought about doing the "classic" 4 , 4 and 4 so you would feel at home but we just couldn't do that to everyone else.

I wasn't even sure it was CFRPC!!!

I am AMAZED he was able to wrestle it away from the fat man.

+1, I can't belive it went from a bad to a really good match just like that. I think the people helping and the new MD is of course what is chaging the stages, but even so. The match is alot better than most matches in FL now...

Sandro

PS. Good to see you back shooting DP!

Edited by Sandro

Ric took that, added his energy, great props, let people get out of the box, and I am telling you, it's contender for best local match I've ever seen.

Glad to hear this.... maybe i will start making the drive again.... Good to see you back in the saddle!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Even though you are not shooting much any more I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this diary. I read your diary from start to finish and it took me quite a long time. But there is a lot of good information here and a really good example of the trials and tribulations of someone who is striving to be the best of the best. Thank you for the inside view of your shooting efforts!!!

Even though you are not shooting much any more I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this diary. I read your diary from start to finish and it took me quite a long time. But there is a lot of good information here and a really good example of the trials and tribulations of someone who is striving to be the best of the best. Thank you for the inside view of your shooting efforts!!!

thanks bud! Happy to help. It was stumbling around in the dark for a while.

A lot of my posts were diary-like before the range diary thing kicked off. I kept (and still have) a paper version of this, and it goes back another 6-10 months before I started this.

It's always nice to be able to reference a drill or skill level when you've hit a wall, and feel like you're slowing down. Our sport is black and white, and numbers don't lie.

I shot CFRPC again this past weekend, and the quality I saw last month was no fluke. These are big match quality stages, and we shot SEVEN stages at a one day, $15 local match.

:surprise:

I shot kinda pokey and mostly clean. I had one meltdown with a D and a Mike, udder-n-at, I shot no Deltas, and was penalty free.

I was squadded with three old buddies I haven't seen in YEARS!!! including two guys I met at my FIRST MATCH over 12 years ago.

That being said, as the "nice guy clown" at the range I was squadded with five new guys, including a couple of older wheel gunners. 20 second stages were taking 90+ seconds, and reset was ssssssssssslow, so although I had an absolute blast, it was a loooooooooong day.

Rick has said he's running the State Match next year. Y'all don't wanna miss this.

Edited by dirtypool40

...And by the way, I am going to take credit for helping Cliff and Tammy Bordwell. B)

If I don't, how in the hell am I supposed to deal with them kicking my as?!?!? :huh:

Cliff was HOA and NEEDS an "M-card" like NOW!!!

Tammy is winning stages OUTRIGHT :o and mark my words: IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME TO SEE HER EARN HER MASTER CLASSIFICATION IN THE NEXT YEAR and be a serious contender. She is battling every match with solid, experienced Master class guys, and gives them all they can handle.

ok, so I didn't have anything to do with their progress, but I'm telling everyone I built 'em. Hey! we belong to the same range, isn't that enough?? :goof:

They have worked with Manny, have the right attitude, work ethic and (finally) the equipment. Watch these two.

Edited by dirtypool40

• 2 months later...

Thanks Andy! I'm not really back, but I will try to come out once in a while to say hey.

I am still playing pool and sssssssssssssssslowly getting better.

I don't wanna jinx it, but I have been playing well lately; my last two league matches, I only missed ONE ball ball each match, and I'm undefeated for the session so far. It's a screwy 9-ball, handicapped, counting balls league. They have me as an 8 (9 being the highest), but I suspect a promotion is coming soon.

I beat another 8, 65-13.

Then a couple close ones, where I still won but it wasn't a blow out.

Then the last couple weeks I went something like 65-4 and 65-5, each time only missing one ball I shot at. Both times I "Broke and Ran" 2 of the 7 or so racks we played.

It's only on 8-foot tables, so I am the medium fish in the small pond, but it feels good just the same, and I enjoy the competition and pressure.

I played a few "action $ets" this past weekend, on tough 9-footers. My break has improved and it's giving me opportunities to "B&R" I never had before. In one set I broke and ran out three separate times. I had at least one B&R each set, and going to 5, that means I was at least 20% B&R.

I am also trying to learn ONE POCKET, which is like chess on a pool table, it's the toughest, mind bending game out there. Less about a big break and firepower, and more about moves and control, and strategery. Playing last night against a guy I had been going back and forth with, I lost the first two, then beat him seven in a row.

Anyhoo, that's all for now, talk to you guys later.