Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A 200gr Rn .40 Bullet

haras

Brother Haras, I FEEL your pain!

Unfortunately, finding RN bullets for .40 is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Rainier actually made them at one point and had a bunch in their warehouse a couple years ago but don't anymore. I've used Rainier's 200 gr RNFP and they work fairly good but it just ain't like throwing a 230 RN .45 at the gun. Even Berry's and BillyBullets RN bullets are round like a BB instead of pointy round like a 115 9mm or 230 grain .45. I haven't tried the MG's, might have to take a look.

Jerry

I've recently tried bunch of 40 cal. bullets...

The 180 Berrys RN (round like a ball bearing)

The Rainer 180 RN (small flat point, not too much and the round nose is shaped like a 9mm)

Also the Rainer 200 RN (again a small flat point bigger than the 180 but same 9mm shape)

Zero 200 grn TC (fairly good size flat nose but a nice radius around the edge)

And the Berrys 200 grn RS DS (big flat nose with a good sized radius)

Accuracy wise the Zero jacketed was the best with the 180 and 200 grn Berrys a close 2nd,

the Rainers were not that far behind the Berry's and if I could be sure all shots would be

within 50 ft I would have gone with those.

Hands down the reload speed has to go to the 180 RN Berry's, and after comparing 180 grn loads

at 170 pf and 200 grn loads at 170 pf using Clays powder I real did not see a huge diff.

in the recoil feel. (I am using a 6.5 inch 610 with a full lugged barrel so take that into consideration)

One thing I have noticed, the less droopy or loose the rounds are in the clips the less of an issue the

shape of the bullet head has been. Dave's clips would shine here if you want to use one of the "blunter"

bullet head styles, and only be that much better with the full round nose style.

Anyways, those are my observations and opinions, I just ordered 8K of the 180 grn RN Berrys so I think

I'll get used to any recoil differences or other issues that may come up B)

PS, I did try a few Hornady XTP's, they were not as bad as you'd think using a good holding clip,

I would think MG HP's would be about the same since they're about the same size HP.

So how do we get a true eliptical ogive 200-220 grn 40 caliber bullet made ??

It'd be a great one for long loaded 40 Cal flat guns I would think ??

Edited by 10mmdave

I will check with Gary. Wish he had a web site or at least a flier so I could see what they look like. I wouldn't shoot wax lubed bullets but if they are what I want and all I can find I'm not beyond buying them un-lubed/sized and shipping somewhere to be Moly coated. Of course that will depend on the final cost too.

I have been using Dave Long's Precision bullets that are RNFP. They have the most consistant weight because they aren't cast but that little flat point bugs me. I got some of the Berry's 180's and although they aren't pointed they seen to inprove my reloads in the 610.

I've been using Ranch clips. I guess I should give Hearthco a try (to eliminate the looseness.

It'd be nice to see one of the manufacturers come up with a semi-pointed 200 in 40 cal meant for all of us who shoot the 610 with 40 S&W cases. Imagine a 200 that is pointed similar to a rifle bullet. Imagine how well they'd drop into the cylinder. :)

Vince

It'd be nice to see one of the manufacturers come up with a semi-pointed 200 in 40 cal meant for all of us who shoot the 610 with 40 S&W cases. Imagine a 200 that is pointed similar to a rifle bullet. Imagine how well they'd drop into the cylinder. :)

Vince

I'm wit ya Vince, I looked at the profile a little bit and I think the ogive (sp?) would be

so long that a finished round wouldn't work in a 40 caliber gun. Now granted we're talking

revo's so we can load as long as we want, and the 1911 style folks could go out to

1.25-1.26 OAL, the design might work well for Limited and single stack ??

A couple guys looked at getting 230 grn logs plated years ago, I think Berrys would do it if

you sent them 60-100k of the bullets so they could run a whole batch. They weren't

interested in doing a couple hundred for testing prototypes.

The closest thing is the Rainer :mellow:

Imagine a 200 that is pointed similar to a rifle bullet. Imagine how well they'd drop into the cylinder. :)

Almost as well as RN bullets drop into a .45 ACP cylinder! ;)

I think that's the "point" he's trying to get across Mike B)

As I said, Rainer came really close, and looking at the dimensions I think I see why they

leave such a big flat point on their 200 40 cal's (a little smaller for the 180's).

40 S&W (as well as 10mm) seem to have more case than is needed, which leads to less bullet

head exposed, and then they have to feed in an autoloader.

A 9mm has more bullet head exposed compared to a 40 S&W (I tried to run the percentage

numbers but my brain ain't working)

It's those dang Glocks....ya need stubby rounds to fit in those magazines ;)

Unfortunately, all of the local RN bullets I've seen are RN-FP and that's not what I want. Bear creek makes a nice little 140 RN, but even it has a slight FP to it. Personally, I wish I could cast them myself, but um, well, I can't... And plain lead doesn't appeal to me, it's either Moly for me or nada. :( There is a 185 RN that Laser cast makes, but I was never able to make them shoot for me, ymmv. Maybe I'll eventually try my hand at Moly coating these, but they have lube and it's the lube that makes all the smoke. :P A somewhat ogive'd bullet is what I desire also, but unfortunately there just aren't enough competition 610's out there for the manufacturers to justify it.

Vince

Unfortunately, all of the local RN bullets I've seen are RN-FP and that's not what I want. Bear creek makes a nice little 140 RN, but even it has a slight FP to it. Personally, I wish I could cast them myself, but um, well, I can't... And plain lead doesn't appeal to me, it's either Moly for me or nada. :( There is a 185 RN that Laser cast makes, but I was never able to make them shoot for me, ymmv. Maybe I'll eventually try my hand at Moly coating these, but they have lube and it's the lube that makes all the smoke. :P A somewhat ogive'd bullet is what I desire also, but unfortunately there just aren't enough competition 610's out there for the manufacturers to justify it.

Vince

Here ya go Vince, according to my 3D CAD software this bullet would weight approx.

200 grns (.0286 lbs) And at 1.260 OAL max. (10mm OAL) it should fit in a 1911/Hi-cap mag.

(that's a 40 S&W case in the pdf)

Now if I had any disposable income and lots of free time I'd get a mould made and cast up

a few K and send 'em off for plating <_<

And don't sell the idea short Vince, it's not just us 610 shooters that could use this bullet,

Limited, Lim 10 and Single Stack shooters would also benefit :D

Oh well, we can dream can't we :)

Yep, that would be about right. I think I got the idea after looking at some of the dangerous game bullets made for large caliber rifles like the 404 jeffrey, though I doubt a 300 or 400 gr bullet could fit in a 40 case ;) Well, let me rephrase that.. it might fit, butnot within the specs of the 610 or a 1911 magazine.

It's nice to dream..

Vince

Edited by sargenv

Chey-Cast bullets makes a 200 GR. RN. bullet for a .40.
Thanks Brent. I ordered 500 to sample. Welcome to the forum.
Well... I ended up with 1000. They're nice bullets, crisp mold, hard, consistant lube, weigh 196.6-197.9, I would buy more. Now I'm going to see about having some shipped to someone to be moly coated. I've done this before and it turned out fine. You just ask the bullet manufactor to not lube or size the bullets.

If anyone wants some of mine to look at/test just hollar. Send me a little to cover shipping and you can have some.