Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3gun

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the match isnt till June, why are you bumping up the match fee so early?

Tommy,

The reason is... we don't want to cancel like a lot of the other matches have, due to lack of interest. Lot's of people say it sounds good, but since Open Nationals is against it, we don't know if we'll get enough shooters. We're not a regular club and we need to buy targets, shelter, water containers, and everything else. We need to be sure the sponsors we have lined up are going to get a good return. T-shirts should be ordered early to get a good price. We need to give our trophy guy lead time. Just over two months ahead is not that early for a brand new match. We're not like Mile Hi, or Field of Dreams: "if we throw it, they will come". We don't know if enough people will show. JJ doesn't want to build 9 fantastic stages for 30 shooters. We're having dedicated RO's, and over half the match would be them. We've got sponsors willing to put things in bags, but they're not going to be pleased if we aren't doing enough advertising for them. We've got a great caterer lined up, but again, we tell him a big number of shooters and we don't get that many, he's bought too much food etc. It's difficult. I know it's hard for people to know if they can make it. But, we're not Superstition, so everybody isn't fighting like dogs to get in. Their match entries were all due almost 4 months before the match. We obviously don't want to be like that, but we need to know if there are really enough people who really want to come. The only way we can know that is if they get their applications in.

Maybe there's no room for another 3-Gun match. We envisioned making it a prize match next year and bigger and better, but maybe there just isn't demand for another match. We're already worried because of Nationals. There was nothing in June last year, and now there are lots of matches in June. If we can't get enough people, we'll have to send everybody their money back.

It was my idea to try to get some more applications in, because I really need to know if we can get enough people to pull this off. We don't really want to charge more money, but we don't know how else to get people to send in their apps soon. So far people say good things, but the apps aren't coming in very fast. You've said you're coming and I haven't seen your app yet. :( Also, JJ has said, if someone really plans on coming, sends in their application, and has to cancel at the last minute, we'll give them a full refund.

We should be buying stuff already, and we've got no idea how much to buy and we need money to buy it. If we have to cancel, we can't have spent anybody's money. I know of at least two matches that have cancelled for just this reason. We really want to do this...but we'll see if there's really enough interest.

Hope that answers your question. It may just be worry-wart me, but if we do this, we want to do it right! We want this to be one of the best matches anybody has gone to. We need time to get things together.

Denise

I knew the above... JJ kinda told me at the Feb Eddie Rhodes rifle match.

I just wanted to make sure everyone else knew why.

I will get my app in when I dig out from work. Been slammed with all the people getting out and/or retiring.

• 2 weeks later...

We are coming along, getting a few apps in but could use more! Some of the AMU guys are in, Daniel Horner and Robbie Johnson... I suppose Robbie would have to shoot the Johnson 3 Gun!

So if you are planning on coming, get your apps in NOW! Only 3 months to go!

www.home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun

jj

• 4 weeks later...

We are so excited to announce that SABRE Defense (after being one of the first sponsors to sign up) will be our major match sponsor! :D For you shooter's - that means at least one awesome rifle in our random drawings! YOU could win a SABRE rifle! :o

We're doing trophies only, but we already have some great sponsors for great things in shooter's bags. Sportsman's Warehouse, Nordic Components, Flash Target, R & R Racing, Grams Engineering, Arredondo, Cavalry Arms, and DPMS so far! Thank you all so much for supporting (hopefully, the first annual) Johnson 3-Gun!!!! Sponsors are awesome! :)

As far as sign-ups, we've gotten enough to be good to go, but we could use some more. Don't wait too long though, as it's our first match, we do need to limit the number of shooters to be sure we get you all through the stages smoothly and on time! B)

Thanks again to Sabre Defense, all our sponsors and all of you who have signed up! We're really looking forward to seeing you all in June!

Denise and JJ

• 4 weeks later...

More fabulous prizes! On top of the Sabre rifle, we now have a $500 certificate from DPMS for the random drawing! FABULOUS!!! :lol: Brownell's and Dillon have joined Arrendondo, Grams Engineering, Flash Target, R & R Racing (come to our match and check out their new 12" long range targets), Cav Arms and Nordic components as sponsors as well as Sabre and DPMS!

AMU will be there and a number of other good shooters. Join us and we think you'll have a great time!

JohnsonApp.doc

Don't forget, the Pueblo West 4H Shooter's will be there to help brass and set stages, so less work, more fun shooting! :)

Nine stages, long rifle out to 425, lots of multi-gun stages, lots of choices! Of the 6 stages that have at least some rifle, 4 of them have shots at least 100 yards away! Shotgun stages include slugs out to 50 yards, flying clays and a lot of thinking. There's one all pistol stage, but a lot of chances to use your pistol, too!

Hope to see you June 23 and 24!!!!

Denise & JJ

Looking forward to being there in June. Have you identified a Match Hotel/Motel? If not, can you recommend a convienent motel. By convienent, I mean close to the range and close to decent dinning spots. Not the Ritz, but not a fea bag either.

We're just starting out so we don't have a match hotel, but if you look in Pueblo, CO at exit 102 off I-25, there are a number of hotels that are next to lots of restaurants.

Also, in Pueblo West near Highway 50 and McCullough, there are a number of hotels and food as well. More restaurants near I-25.

Both areas about 20 minutes from the range. South Colorado Springs has some hotels, Fountain, but those would be farther away! There is also a KOA at exit 108 off I-25 which is the exit you use to get to the range!

Hope that helps!

Look forward to seeing you in June!

Try the Comfort Inn in Pueblo West. Phone #719-547-9400. It is a newer hotel and not that far from the range. Also, close to good food without having to drive all the way back into Pueblo.

Thanks, will check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're kind of jazzed!

Stage Round Counts Are Here!!!

Because of the nature of choices in the match, we can't tell you exactly how many from each gun, but this will give you the idea! Some may change just a little when we get to the range.

Stage 1 - 3-gun - 27 rounds minimum - 18 paper, 6 clays, 2 - 100 yard flashers and 1 popper.

Stage 2 - 3-gun - 22 rounds minimum - 8 steel, 3-150-200 yd flashers, and 11 paper.

Stage 3 - 3-gun - 28 rounds minimum - 12 plates, 6 paper and 5 flash targets engaged twice out to 300 yards.

Stage 4 - rifle - 24 rounds at flash targets from 200-400 yards.

Stage 5 - rifle/shotgun slugs - 18 rounds minimum - 18 paper targets.

Stage 6 - pistol - 22 rounds minimum - 22 paper targets.

Stage 7 - rifle/pistol - 24 rounds minimum - 24 paper targets.

Stage 8 - shotgun/pistol - 25 rounds minimum - 25 steel.

Stage 9 - shotgun - 28 rounds minimum - 4 poppers, 18 stationary clays and 6 flying clays.

That's 218 minimum, 317 minimum if you shoot all paper with two rounds each which you probably won't!

Spoiler Alert!!!! Some of the paper targets will be half scale, 1/4 area! :lol:

We are finally getting more entries, but please get them in as soon as possible. It's trophy ordering time!

We could use a couple more RO's if you're interested. RO's shoot free on Friday!

Benny Hill, since we offer RO's a free match, will you be coming to RO? You said we could get great Ro's if we just offered a free match! :wub:

We'll be sending out an e-mail to shooters in a couple weeks with last minute details!!!

See ya' in June!

Denise

GPS coordinates are 38 degrees 24'37" N 104 degrees 42'67"W.

It's address is tricky. The gate is basically at the corner of E. Loma Dr. and N. Loma Dr.

If you put in 640 E. Loma Drive

Pueblo West, CO 81007 you should get there!

Hope this helps!

JJ is putting the stages on the computer as I type, and they're going to be fun!!

See ya' in just 3 weeks! :rolleyes:

Got slots left, and room for a couple more RO's!!!

Denise

OK, stages are posted on the website!

Johnson 3 Gun Stages

Slots are still available, see the website for the application. Its important to avoid last minute registrations for squadding, ro assignments, awards... please GET ER DONE!

Hotels are kinda scarce now in Pueblo, but look in Fountain or Colorado Springs on Circle Drive. These are about 30 minutes from the range.

jj

Johnson 3 gun website

johnson3gun@earthlink.net

• 2 weeks later...

We're happy to announce, that with the addition of Trijicon as a sponsor, we have almost $10,000 in drawing prizes and shooter's bag give aways! Thanks again to our major match sponsor Sabre Defence and our other sponsors Nordic Components, Arredondo, Grams Engineering, R & R Racing, DPMS, Cavalry Arms, CMMG, Dave's Metal Works , Brownell's, Dillon Precision, Sportsman's Warehouse and Flash Target. For not having a prize table, we're pretty happy with the results. All the shooter's should get at least $90 worth of stuff in their shooter's bags, PLUS our random, Fabulous drawings for things like a Sabre rifle, Sabre upper, $500 DPMS certificate and a Trijicon TR21 among other items.

Special thanks goes to Hung and Curt M. for the Trijicon scopes. They were an excellent surprise!

We're getting some more shooters, and are really excited and looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

There are about 15 slots still available...

Take care,

Denise

$10K in prizes is impressive. :surprise:

If I wasn't shooting Nationals I could have helped out, you should have asked me anyway... did I mention I'm doing Nationals instead B)

Are you saying I should have asked you and told you about the fabulous free t-shirt a 73rd time????

Hope you have fun at Nationals, though you would have had more fun shooting 3-gun. I know you can learn to use long guns if I can!

Consider yourself asked a 73rd time! :blink:

Denise

Well all the prizes are here, the stages are on paper, prop count, etc is done... Its all ready to rock!

Still have a FEW slots, if you want to come and haven't sent in your application, bring your check book and sign up this friday 1600-2000 at the range, or 0700 saturday morning. shooters meeting at 0730, first shot at 0800.

see everyone in Pueblo!

jj

Inquiring minds want to know; when and where is the shooter's meeting? What time do we start on Saturday? Or is that redundant?

Once you're inside the range, stay on the left access road and drive in about 1/4 mile, it will be most obvious since there aren't any trees to block the view :lol: Shooter's meeting is 0730 hrs, I think.

Edited by PacMan

that info was sent out in an email earlier, but basically shooters meeting is at 0730 saturday, first shot at 0800. same time sunday. registration from 1600 - 1900 friday and LATE REGISTRATION 0700 saturday. Should be done with shooting and awards by 1500 sunday.

arrived at the range today at about 1300, set up a stage and moved a bunch of props, etc to stages for the big setup party tomorrow. if you are inclined we could use the help ttomorrow... free lunch!

weather is gonna be hot and dry all weekend, so bring lots of water and sunscreen!

we will have a caterer at the range for breakfast and lunch sat and sun, so no need to pack a lunch. 4H shooters will be here selling popsicles and iceceam as well as helping run the stages...

jj