Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open gun shooter...

Ron Ankeny

I just got back from the range and my head hurts. I am on summer break so I have been shooting a lot lately (probably too much) and it seems like my new open gun is really an obnoxious beast compared to my limited pistol. In the past two weeks I have put about a thousand rounds through the open blaster and perhaps twice that through my limited gun.

I have been wearing foam  ear plugs under muffs when I shoot the open gun, but I still develop a mild headache. Today I found myself shirking away from the blast of the pistol and I darn near started blinking. I love the dot and I like the flat shooting, but the blast and noise sucks. Is this something a person gets used to or is there some deep dark secret that experienced open shooters can share?

I have a .38 Super and I am shooting 115 grain bullets over AA7 or VV 3N37 at 1450 fps. My comp has three big ports on the top and two on the side. There are also thee little porpoise holes in the tube before the port. Would I be better off with a heavier bullet and more dot lift? I am open to suggestions.

Ron...with all that open sky...you gotta be outdoors, right?

I have only shot my Open gun in a few match type situations.  I didn't hear a damn thing.  :)

When I was doing chrono/load development...I was getting near to a flinch.  

What kinda muffs ya got??  Make sure they are over 25db on the reduction (most electronic muffs aren't).  Same for the plugs...many of them give a 30 reduction pretty easy.  Ensure that all hearing proctection has a proper (read instructions) fit.

Has is that blaster running and hitting???

Huh???

Just kidding I have shot Super for over 10 years. Plugs and muffs are necessary. There is actually a little damage that could occur through your bones in your head(shockwave)

The lower power factor helps. I shot 1560 fps for a few years.

To be honest I don't notice a thing when shooting. Could the heat/humidity be contributing to headache?

1000 is really not that many rounds unless you are not properly protected. I use the Pelter muffs. - 29Db reduction. Every 3 Db is 1/2 of the total power decrease. what I am trying to say is 3Db is alot.

I am wearing North Deci-Damp plugs (29 db reduction) under Peltor Bull's-Eye muffs (29 db reduction). I am shooting outside in the middle of Wyoming so there is plenty of sky. It seems like it is the shockwave that is bothering me. I think my brain is rattling around inside my skull. It's like a pea bouncing around in a box car.

I am not really recoil shy, but this pistol has a blast that makes you stand up and take notice. I bought some 124 and 147 grain bullets today to try. Of course, when I got home the UPS guy had already left 5,000 more 115 grain Zero bullets on the door step. Maybe I just need to get used to the beast.

Flexmoney:

This gun runs and oh man is it ever flat. Now that I know the timing, it is amazing how flat it really is, and the dot tracks perfectly. You should have seen Ron Avery make that gun rock. The accuracy is amazing too. I have no trouble getting 10 shot groups into 1.5 inches at 25 yards from the bench. I still am not used to the dot and close up shooting (3-10 yards) has me baffled. On most drills I am faster with my limited gun.

Ron, you'll probably get less blast from the 147s but you might not like what they do to the dot. Not much else you can do but try different powders unless you are willing to rebarrel with a no-holes barrel and maybe get a top-chambers-only compensator.

I don't notice my foo-foo gun blast unless I'm near a wall or something. I always notice others when I'm ROing.

I don't think iron sights can be beat by a C-more at close range, with equal shooters. (Proven repeatedly at matches when close stages are won by Limited guns.) But lots of practice will help overcome that ungainly, detached feeling of point-shooting a dot gun.

Thats the proper ear protection. I think you just need to get used to it. I have posted about the violence of an open gun. This is part of what I meant. Just practice calling the shot and then try shooting as fast as you can. I remember having big breakthoughs and one of the things I noticed when they happened was I heard the echoes through the hills and not really the gun.  I call it opening yourself to the inputs.

Now I can't stand ROing someone shooting my gun.

I also shoot Limited very fast on close open targets. I not exactly slow with an Open gun:o

I tried a different powder this evening. The load that rattles my cage is just too harsh. It almost seems like I am getting harmonic vibrations between my ears. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll work on it.

I agree that close arrays are best shot with iron sights, but beyond ten yards a dot is a blessing for old eyes. Last month I shot the Mini-Mart at almost 100 per cent...sure wish I could do that with a C-More...

I'd go up to 124's.  It may seem like a minor change, but for me that's the break point for flinching. I can't shoot 115's past about 150 pf before I break out into nasty flinching, and my ears hurt, even with ear protection.

You're probably not going to notice any more flip, but if you do, just practice with it.  You'll get over it....

Ron,

Try using a plastic mouthpiece.  I use one when I'm practicing around barricades, ports or shooting indoors.  Makes a big difference.  I'm probably just not keeping my mouth shut (big surprise!)

Try different powders.  AA7 is really loud in my gun, N350 is almost as bad.  Sr4756 is moderately loud.  Sr7625 isn't bad, but good luck at finding any.

Try the 124 grain bullets, that makes a huge difference in noise levels in my gun.  It does make a significant difference in dot movement.

Ron,

Sorry to hear (no pun intended!) you are having such noise problems.  It also could be the comp design - are the plates angled back, straight, or forward?  

I've been shooting Open for years, with just the Pro Ears "Magnum" muffs and no plugs.  I don't get headaches, but also I don't practice over about 350 rounds because I'm just tired of shooting at that point.  I used to get headaches with the thinner Peltor / Dillon style earmuffs.

It is definitely loud RO-ing an open gun (especially with barrel ports) and I've had the "joy" of RO-ing someone else shooting my gun and YIKES it's loud.  

But actually shooting it is not very loud - (anymore).

Bret