Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Next Most Popular Brand Of Revolver After S&w?

Matt Griffin

The GP100 uses the same speedloaders as a 686 and most holsters are interchangable between the two of them. I would love to see a .40 GP100...Now if I could get someone to make RN .40 cal bullets that are shaped like every other caliber RN. :D

[q

Politics aside, nothing wrong w. a ruger 6-shooter.

If we can stomach the history of S&W, we can easily love Ruger.

A Redhawk Lite in 45ACP would be just about bomb proof. And if they got with some interesting Scandium/Titanium/unobtanium type material would be very useful to IPSC/USPSA/IDPA/etc AND also have the ultra-cool factor for overall market. Think of the 45ACP articles the gun mag writers could put out. Besides with a 45ACP an owner could shoot more than a box of ammo without either breaking the bank(check big bore ammo prices) or getting arthritus in the wrists and elbows.

Hello Ruger - are you out there???

When Ken Jorgenson moved from SW to Ruger, I really hoped he would move them toward more competition oriented revolvers. He did lots for ICORE while he was at SW. He even shot the match.

A bunch of guys I shoot nra hunter pistol silhouettes with use rugers. I have an sp101 all tricked out that I carry, but shoot a 627 mostly. here's my impression:

1. longer, lumpier da pull. never as good as a smith. might be a dealbreaker.

2. quality control better than taurus, worse than smith

3. really easy to work on. trigger group falls out the bottom, no screws, special tools, tricks

4. better cyl. release - just mash it.

5. built ford tough. stands case sticking hot loads for decades, according to the silhouette guys.

DoubleAction has gotten a real good trigger job on his Ruger. A lot of meticulas work done by DA. It can be done but not as easy as the S&W's. :ph34r:

Now if I could get someone to make RN .40 cal bullets that are shaped like every other caliber RN. :D

No kidding! I shot my 646 at the Iowa Revolver match, and that's the one thing I noticed most. About half the time, I wouldn't hit the reload quite right and those dang truncated cone bullets didn't want to drop in. True round-nose is the only way to fly.

DoubleAction has gotten a real good trigger job on his Ruger. A lot of meticulas work done by DA. It can be done but not as easy as the S&W's. :ph34r:

I have a Security-Six with a Python barrel on it (I call it "the Couger") and I managed to get a very nice action on it. There used to be a guy named Chris Peters who worked at Ruger in NH and moonlighted gunsmithing on the side, his action work was just phenomenal. He's been off the radar scopes for awhile now, I think.

Way back in the 80s and early 90s there was a guy in south Alabama (Fairhope) that I shot with named Don Henrico, he shot only a Ruger Security Six and won many PPC and action shooting titles with it. I watched him clean steel plates at 100 yards with his 38 special Ruger, he also talked about shooting beavers on his property at 80-120 yards. He was one heck of a shooter and an nice gentleman.

David

I'd like to see a .45 ACP Ruger Redhawk set up to accept the same moonclips we all use in our S&Ws. Might not be quite as refined, but you could pound the living crap out of it forever and never have to do a timing job or fix peened cylinder notches.

Taurus? Depends on whether they've improved their metallurgy.

[/quote

Mike,

Check out WILD WEST GUNS, about $80-120!

Angryreb

I'd like to see a .45 ACP Ruger Redhawk set up to accept the same moonclips we all use in our S&Ws. Might not be quite as refined, but you could pound the living crap out of it forever and never have to do a timing job or fix peened cylinder notches.

tryed a taurus..after 200rnds it lost the timing big time..sent it back got it repaired and 145 rnds later did the same thing..finish looked good,just didnt hold up even using white box winchester and remington..i think they make a better drawer gun rather then a competition gun

Mike,

Check out WILD WEST GUNS, about $80-120!

Angryreb

Looks like they'll do a .45 ACP moonclip conversion on a Super Redhawk. That'd be kinda cool although the sumbitch would be pretty hefty! Plus I'll bet it uses special custom ($$$) moonclips rather than the "regular" moonclips we all use.

That was my thought exactly!!! I contacted a gun smith about the conversion and it can be done but the gun would'nt be legal for registered shooting would it? Custom built guns can't play can they? (except for local stuff). If Ruger makes this gun I will buy it!

41 mag

Good idea on the GP100.

I think Rudy at billybullets.com carries a 180 grain .40 RN - check it out

Thanks! I tried finding them a while back and couldn't find the website. Their .40 RN looks like Berry's .40 RN - they're round like a BB, not semi-pointed like 9mm and .45 RN. The Berry's bullet always worked good though. Might have to give them a try!

QUOTE(Carmoney @ Dec 7 2006, 04:19 PM) *

Why couldn't you use a .45 Colt RH - if you can find one - and have it set up for moonclips. The 629 and RH use the same speedloaders for .44 so why wouldn't regular .45 moonclips work for this?

Why couldn't you use a .45 Colt RH - if you can find one - and have it set up for moonclips. The 629 and RH use the same speedloaders for .44 so why wouldn't regular .45 moonclips work for this?

Interesting! If somebody can locate a .45 Colt Redhawk maybe we can ascertain whether the chamber placement in the cylinder is the same as on a 625. If so, all it would take is machining the cylinder.

Too bad Ruger doesn't come out with a 10mm/.40S&W GP-100. I see

Dave Clements does the conversions for about $450 complete with

moon clips.

Rover, is that a 6-shot conversion?? If so, I think that idea has potential.

Interesting! If somebody can locate a .45 Colt Redhawk maybe we can ascertain whether the chamber placement in the cylinder is the same as on a 625. If so, all it would take is machining the cylinder.

Mike,

Standard 625 moonclip full of ammo WILL drop right in, only needs to be machined for the clips. :ph34r:

Angryreb

Too bad Ruger doesn't come out with a 10mm/.40S&W GP-100. I see

Dave Clements does the conversions for about $450 complete with

moon clips.

Rover, is that a 6-shot conversion?? If so, I think that idea has potential.

I used to play around with a Taurus 608. 8-shot 357/38 that I shot 38 Short Colt in. Not a bad blaster. I kind of wish I still had it. I sent it to Bob Miles and had him do some magic to that gun. Tightened up everything, improved the trigger and made me some more moon clips. Great pistol and probably (then) the only other real option to S&W.

That said, I was thinking the other day. Has anyone made a 10-shot cylinder for the S&W yet?

Rich

.....[snip]....

That said, I was thinking the other day. Has anyone made a 10-shot cylinder for the S&W yet?

Rich

Kirby Goodman has had a ten shot for some time now. It is in 32 Magnum and legal in ICORE. He shoots it in Open as he has a dot on it. It is fit into a N Frame Smith.

Mike,

Standard 625 moonclip full of ammo WILL drop right in, only needs to be machined for the clips. :ph34r:

Angryreb

Hmmmmm......I'm going to keep my eyes open for a .45 Redhawk. Anybody know anything about these guns? I assume they're out of production? How many were made?