Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Travel Question For Shooters In Northeast U.s.

Carmoney

I've got this great idea that might allow Sam and me to hit both the Summer Blast and Area 7/AWARE matches on consecutive weekends this summer. Checking the airlines, I see a good deal on nonstop flights in and out of New York LGA, and I'm seriously thinking about booking the tickets.

My idea: Fly into NYC on Saturday morning, drive to Pennsylvania that day, shoot the Summer Blast on Sunday morning, do all the tourist stuff with the family around NYC and maybe Boston during the week, shoot A-7 the following Saturday, drive back to NYC on Sunday and fly out Sunday evening.

My concern: I don't want to violate any gun laws in the process.

Is this feasible? What do I need to know?

I can look up the statutes on Westlaw at the office tomorrow, but I'm just as interested in hearing from those with first-hand practical experience on how all this crap works. I've been gone from the northeast too long to remember much, all my old permits are expired, and there have been a lot of changes in the laws in the meantime.

(I've actually managed to sell my wife and daughter on this concept, gotta figure if I can get that task done the rest should be fairly easy....) ;)

Mike,

When I had to fly to PA, I was told that I would have alot more drama flying into New York with firearms, so we flew into Philadelphia and had a little longer drive, but no hassles with the firearms. We flew out of the same, now I am unaware of where the matches are being held in PA and the geography of where you have to get to, but I thought I would share my past experiences. I hope it gives a bit more food for thought.

...now I am unaware of where the matches are being held in PA and the geography of where you have to get to...

The match is about 2 hour drive west from Phila airport. Federal law allows you to travel to and from destinations where the two destinations are legal to own such firarms. Since your "final" destination on your initial trip is PA, you should be good to go. Where you are staying during the week may be a problem if you are staying in NYC - I'm not sure. If you are staying in PA, that is not a problem except for the longer drive.

Edited by racerba

Mike, you might want to check out flying in to Newark instead of NY. NJ is still anal about guns but not quite the degree NYC is. When I was stationed at McGuire AFB, we would fly out of Newark instead of NY or Philly even though Philly was closer.

For what it's worth, even if you have a permit to carry in NY, you can't carry in NYC - it's a whole nother country. I've heard too many horror stories about firearms at La Guardia or JFK to want to chance flying in to there.

Jerry

Jeez....fly into anywhere besides NY :o

God forbid you get stuck in the city for some reason with handguns :wacko:

And...I don't know how true it is but I was told once that "handguns" were a no-no within

NY City limits no mater what, Federal/traveling/whatever issues be dammed.

Philly or even Boston might be better, heck we even have a big airport in Manchester NH now :P

Course it's an 8 hr ride to the SB from NH but only 2.5 to the A7/Aware !!

For all that is holly .. DO NOT FLY INTO NEWARK. Newark arrests shooters regularly for things which aren't crimes but which the uninformed guy at the gate thinks should be crimes in his little world. Go via Philly.

Mike - Given that the match is in PA, I'd recommend flying into Filthadelphia. Shoot, if you want, the Sheriff in Centre County (in which PSU is located) will issue you a carry permit (good state-wide) by mail, so you wouldn't have to drive around like a New Yorker. ;)

As someone who was born in New York, I do my best to not return there except for family...and almost all of them have moved.

I second Vlad's recommendation, especially as an awful lot of NJ Gun Law is based on the concept of "affirmative defense?" Is that the right wording? Basically, for instance, New Jersey prohibits possession of hollow point bullets, with certain exceptions, such as: You may buy them, transport them from the store to your home or place of business, transport them to the range and back. The mentality however is to arrest you, and then have you deal with the system.

NY has some laws about traveling through the state with firearms, so doing touristy things there with guns in the car/hotel might be problematic.

Rob Boudrie could probably chime in here with regards to MA --- but shipping might be the best option....

I appreciate everybody's thoughts.

I booked the plane tickets. $974 for all four of us, non-stop from Des Moines to LaGuardia, and only 2.5 hour flight. Can't beat that.

I've looked at the law, and I'm pretty sure that if necessary, I can fly in and out with the guns, as long as I don't dawdle around in New York along the way: http://www.nraila.org/images/DOJltrTSA.pdf

HOWEVER, I do need to be practical here, and I really don't want to tempt fate (as Jake aptly put it), so I think I'll ship the gear out and back, to eliminate one big layer of anxiety.

So is there anybody planning to shoot both Summer Blast and Area 7 who'd be willing to babysit two S&W revolvers during the week between the matches, while I take my family around to visit all the non-gun-friendly parts of the northeast? :)

So is there anybody planning to shoot both Summer Blast and Area 7 who'd be willing to babysit two S&W revolvers during the week between the matches, while I take my family around to visit all the non-gun-friendly parts of the northeast? :)

Not sure if I'm doing both at the moment, plus I'd be awful tempted to pull out that lightened

hammer for some more pic's and that self-bent main spring :D:P:D

Or should I say "sure Mike, I'll watch 'em for ya" (he he he he :ph34r: )

I'm sure between the crew we have here we'll be able to work something out.

(vision's of clandestine gun swaps late at night in a Mass Pike rest area :o )

I've got this great idea that might allow Sam and me to hit both the Summer Blast and Area 7/AWARE matches on consecutive weekends this summer. Checking the airlines, I see a good deal on nonstop flights in and out of New York LGA, and I'm seriously thinking about booking the tickets.

My idea: Fly into NYC on Saturday morning, drive to Pennsylvania that day, shoot the Summer Blast on Sunday morning, do all the tourist stuff with the family around NYC and maybe Boston during the week, shoot A-7 the following Saturday, drive back to NYC on Sunday and fly out Sunday evening.

My concern: I don't want to violate any gun laws in the process.

Is this feasible? What do I need to know?

I can look up the statutes on Westlaw at the office tomorrow, but I'm just as interested in hearing from those with first-hand practical experience on how all this crap works. I've been gone from the northeast too long to remember much, all my old permits are expired, and there have been a lot of changes in the laws in the meantime.

(I've actually managed to sell my wife and daughter on this concept, gotta figure if I can get that task done the rest should be fairly easy....) ;)

You could look into flying into Allentown or Harrisburg PA. They are smaller airports (compared to Philadelphia, New York, or Newark). In any event, I'd avoid flying into NY/NJ if it were up to me.