Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 45acp Springfield Trp Nose Diving / Dipping

lucas

It has a standard 16# spring now. I'm going to try a 14# W/buffer next.Do you think that will be to light for a service weapon and will i need the buff with factory 230gr 45acp?

Edited by lucas

It has a standard 16# spring now.This surprises me because i dont have this problem with a STI W/16# spring and buffer shooting factory 230gr ball.The STI tracks fine without a light spring and pronounced front end dip unlike the TRP. For the TRP i dont want to go as low with spring weight as i do with my USPSA match guns because i want to keep the TRP set up as a Tactical/self defence gun which will also go thru a Thunder Ranch class soon.I'm going to try a 14# W/buffer next.Do you think that will be to light for a service weapon and will i need the buff? :wacko:

Is the slide a lot heavier on the TRP? Might try weighing both of them.

Take the shock buffer out, then try it... simple but it can shorten the stroke of the gun, and cycle time. I presume your using 170 or above power factor ammo.. probababally even above 180 if it's a duty gun.

How often do the jams happen?

is it at the same place in the magazine. Has the gun had any work done to it?

are you using the same magazines in both guns? if not it may be magazine related

The power factor is atleast 184 to 190 easy.with this PF i got it on good authority i should stay with 16# spring with full house loads,but it just doesnt feel right . I Think it is indeed timing issues.A all steel gov 45 is totally differ feel than shooting STI/SVI.I'm told the biggest factor is the weight distribution difference,which would explain maybe why i have no problems with my 45 STI W/16# W/buff and factory ball. Having most the weight on top gives me the recoil impulse i'm timed to.

...Ditch the buff, IMHO just another thing to flub up the works.

What Merlin said. First and often best thing to try when encountering this problem - gives the rounds more time to "get out of bed" and up the ramp... Certainly solved a long-time PITA with a .40 I once locked horns with for an extended period of trial-and-error festivities... :huh:

It has a standard 16# spring now. I'm going to try a 14# W/buffer next.Do you think that will be to light for a service weapon and will i need the buff with factory 230gr 45acp?

Nosediving is caused by the extractor being too tight 95% of the time. I doubt your recoil spring has any thing to do with it.

Nosediving is caused by the extractor being too tight 95% of the time. I doubt your recoil spring has any thing to do with it.

Is lucas talking about the rounds nosediving or the gun when it returns to battery?

ba

Try the spring weight you have now except in a variable. Then try the lighter spring. The variable will open softer and slow the slide toward the rear....then come back and close softer at the end. Gives you the same slide slowing power except at the end of the travel rearward. Also if you have a tungsten guide rod..the nose may just be too heavy.

• 3 months later...

The variable in same weight made all the differ.It tracks alot better now and i have no complaints.Infact my first time out with it with new spring while i was shooting i plum forgot that i was having problems with it tracking before.Its funny how small changes make big differences,varible for my SS and reg for my wide body.Thanks for the help.

I'm a major fan of the Wolff variable power recoil springs in a 1911. Given the same poundange in my experience, a gun running the variable spring will have much softer perceived recoil than the exact same gun, same load, running a straight rate spring.

On the question of whether or not the 14-pound spring can lead to gun battering, or if you'll need a shock buff, I've run a 1911 for 30k with recoil springs from 14 pound variable all the way down to 10 pound variable, without a shok buff, and without a single problem. Most of that 30k was with a 14-pound recoil spring and 170 pf handloads, but quite a bit of it was also factory stuff going all the way up to 200 pf, also with the 14-pounder.

In short, don't worry about it.