Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Wife's Super Power

dirtypool40

So I'm a new MMA fan, never miss a UFC pay per view, and fast forward to the end of every TUF episode to see the fights.

UFC Fight Night and "Unleashed" are favorites.

It started as a way to keep "la Esposa" interested; they show the "tale of the tape" and she picks a fighter, with no input from me. Usually she picks the bald guy or the guy with the most tatoos, all in all a solid strategy if you think about it. <_<

However, she's developed a 6th sense, and it has never been more evident than last night. There's this marathon of "fight nights" and we start watching.

she starts winning... :mellow:

...and winning. :huh:

She calls the ENTIRE FIRST PROGRAM. Five fights. She's 5-0. :blink:

We watch the second one....BAM five more......she's 10, TEN and O. :wacko: Surprise one punch knockouts, a guy cut and bleeding so much they are going to stop it AGAINST her pick, and BAM triangle outta no where!!! Nothing's getting past her!!!

We're half way through the third one and as of this moment she is 13 - 0.

It's kinda humbling, but so long as she doesn't pick St. Pierre over Hughes next week, we don't have to get divorced over it. B)

It was a marathon on Spike, replays, not live, but she hadn't seen any of them.

It was hysterical because I remembered about 2/3 and had to bite my tounge. Hell, after while I started to try to mislead her but no dice.

After all was said and done she went 14 and 1. She picked the brazilian over "crippler" who landed a lucky counter and jumped on to G&P, but then she picked Sanchez over Karo to end with a win. That's a tough one to call, I like both of them, but I would have had to guess Karo, especially after Sanchez' last lackluster piggy back.

As to GSP v. Hughes, against anyone else I would cheer for GSP, but I gotta cheer for the old, country boy wrestler. (on the MMA forums they refer to him as "country breakfast") I think GSP is clearly one of the heir apparents, but I would love to see Hughes beat GSP again, then mash a big wet spot in the mat with the TUF 4 winner. In fact, the editing makes it look like they are hoping for a Serra / Hughes matchup. I like Lytle, and would hate to see him hurt, but Serra talked enough trash to move me out of his corner.

Man they are working the Champs hard right now, going from BJ to GSP is no easy stretch, but I like Hughes.....

Let's not turn this into a betting line about the next UFC, just a fun discussion about how you pick the fights.

Can anyone come up with a better way than the bald guy with the most tatoos?

I didn't think so. B)

I dig Matt Serra too, I was jumping up and down when Shonie Carter landed the spinning back-fist... again... in TUF 4 semis. I can't remember which fighter said it, but they said "Serra would've cut his wrists if Shonie landed the spinning back fist completely...". I have to agree, that would've crushed Serra's spirits.

Speaking of spinning back fists, what other super-strikes are everyone's favs? I'm sure the Hughes fans will say Superman Punch. :)

she picks a fighter, with no input from me. Usually she picks the bald guy or the guy with the most tatoos, all in all a solid strategy if you think about it. <_<

Then she won't pick Hughs. :o

BTW - who does she like in the Chuck vs. Tito fight in late December?

Edited by chp5

Then she won't pick Hughs. :o

BTW - who does she like in the Chuck vs. Tito fight in late December?

She actually LOVES Hughes, the whole humble, tough, furry teddy bear thing....I can pull off most of it....except for the tough part. <_<

She doesn't like GSP cuz of the Fronch accent.

She thinks Tito's a punk, and likes Chuck, especially how his face gets screwed up when he's raging around after a KO. Actually, this is a no-shitter, :unsure: she said she "likes racoons more than monkeys" :rolleyes: , and apparently that means Tito's more monkey like and Chuck....

... :angry: Oh hell man, she pick the fights damnit!!! ;)

I'll be the lone GSP fan. Heck, I like Hughes too actually, he destroyed BJ Penn in convincing fashion.

Hughes was getting his assed kicked by Penn. Hughes even admitted that he lost the first two rounds.

Penn "pulled/tore internal muscles located inside and around the bottom right rib and fractured the rib" at the end of round two.

http://www.bjpenn.com/index.php

See the fight again with the above injury in mind.

No doubt that Hughes won that fight. But if Penn hadn't had that injury... I don't think Hughes would have pulled it off.

I think GSP is going to win.

See the fight again with the above injury in mind.

No doubt that Hughes won that fight. But if Penn hadn't had that injury... I don't think Hughes would have pulled it off.

I'll watch the fight again, I didn't realize Penn was injured while fighting.

BJ Penn will rehab that injury and fight the rubber match without a doubt. Hughes would definitely sign on too if the UFC will sanction the fight.

I haven't enjoyed watching boxing since I found MMA 3 years ago. I'd love to attend a fight but the tickets are a bit too pricey.

I think GSP is going to win.

Me too! :D

again, I didn't want to turn this into that kind of thread, but I'll be the first (or 5th?) to say that while I am a Hughes fan, he didn't look crisp the last couple of fights. I think he was a little apprehensive with BJ, to say the least.

On the other hand, his standup is improving. HE is still improving, which is a big thing to say for a guy who is champ and getting on in years. Now he's stopped the #2 and #3 contender. That's got to help your confidence.

that 170# division is TOUGH. I still gotta cheer for Hughes to reign for a little longer.

GSP is the biggest hope for those who want to see Hughes dethroned, but even if he managed it (Hughes overconfident or whatever), Hughes would kill him in the next 2 fights. From what I've seen, GSP is also afraid of Hughes.

As far as Penn being injured, who do you think injured him? Same guy who beat the hell out of him in the next round. Matt doesn't take a nap when on the ground, he's constantly trying to hurt you. In this case Matt broke his rib. Damn good fight though. Penn definitely made Matt look human for 2 rounds.

Comparisons like this are poor anyway for some reason. Look at Matt's 2 fights with Trigg. Trigg put up quite a fight, but he looked like a child against GSP. Then GSP was hardly Hughe's most difficult fight in what will come to be known as "his first loss to Hughes". B)

My prediction, based on who is a punk, is that Chuck will actually kill Tito. I believe he is as sick of Tito as everyone else and is prepared to do us a favor. There first fight was a good indication of 2 things: #1 is Tito is a punk. #2 is Tito doesn't have a way to escape when Chuck starts connecting with those combinations. Of course nobody else does either, but at least they aren't punks.

I'm heartbroken that Franklin got beat up so bad :( Anderson Silva might just keep that belt for a long time. The rematch should be great.

The winners from the "Ultimate Fighter" are going to get mangled when they get their title fights. Matt Serra will probably win the finals after another boring fight. After liking him initially, his mouth has me ready to pay $50 to see Hughes show him why losers shouldn't get title fights. This is my pick for the fight where Hughes stands up for the entire 3 minutes it will take to knock Serra out. Whoever fights Anderson Silva has my sympathy :(

Can anyone still watch boxing? It's too boring for me now. I spend the entire fight yelling "knee him in the head" or some such thing :P

dirtypool40

Your wife's opinion of Hughes will change as she sees more of him. Not that I expect a guy who beats the hell out of people for a living to be a nice guy, so I'm still a big fan.

I must be her alternate universe opposite as I have only picked one win of significance.......Silva over Franklin.

I have picked GSP over djckhead Hughes, so that means Hughes will win...oh crap I just picked Hughes that means GSP will win....oh, Crap I did it again.........