Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had shot this match for the last 4 years, didn't get in this year which didn't really bother me that much. It is a very expensive match to attend if you have to travel very far at all. I try not to think about how much I spend in match fees every year but some times it slaps you in the face when there are two or three that get sent in all at once (CMG multi gun team match, RM3G, and Benning all fell in the same week as far as me sending in the match fees) around $600.00 for the 3 matches. I'm not bitching about the fees as I know what it takes to put on one of these matches, but if we go to a what the market will bare type pricing for the top matches it will shrink the pool of shooters in the sport. The big matches are the infection agent for spreading the sport across the country. If you confine it to local shooters we all loose out on the benefit of disseminating the newest techniques, cool new gear and the latest diabolic target. For the good of the sport there needs to be a cross section of the country represented. Keith

Yep, nothing like following the rules exactly as written.

However, signing the hundred checks to go with the hundred applications would be a bit rough ;)

This "lottery" thing is a really silly idea, from the standpoint of shooting with The Usual Suspects. I may throw some of my shooting buddies under the bus (well, depending on how much insurance I took out on 'em), but I'm not going to shoot a match that my wife also didn't "win the lottery" for.

Sigh.

Alex

Can you say EBay for SMM3G slots?

You mean letting the free market decide the cost of entry? Capitalist pig! I like it.

Silent auction: with your entry, include a check for the price you are willing to pay. The 300 (or whatever) highest checks get in.

You mean letting the free market decide the cost of entry? Capitalist pig! I like it.

Silent auction: with your entry, include a check for the price you are willing to pay. The 300 (or whatever) highest checks get in.

Now this is a great idea. The match organizers could then auction off, say 140 single slots, 30 double slots, 20 tri-slots and say 15 quad slots, You bid on the combination of slot packages you need as an individual, or as a group.

Let the bidding begin ;-)

jhgtyre;

Now that my wife and I have already sent in our applications WITH ONE CHECK ( we sent our apps in last wednesday, before the lastest change) what's going to happen with us? We looked everywhere to make sure one check was ok. What about all the other couples and small groups who want to shoot together? Say that one of them gets chosen and the other(s) don't? Why would you break up couples/shooting partners? this is just crazyness... :wacko: Stick with the plan and don't change stuff mid-stream!

So far, I think the Ft Benning method is the best; no overnite mailings needed, use the time/date stamp (after a certain date) on the envelope the application is in, and fill the match from the earliest time/date stamps. Simple, to the point, easy on everyone, (even the match staff), and no BS controversy.

jj

So far, I think the Ft Benning method is the best; no overnite mailings needed, use the time/date stamp (after a certain date) on the envelope the application is in, and fill the match from the earliest time/date stamps. Simple, to the point, easy on everyone, (even the match staff), and no BS controversy.

Eggs Ackerly! +1 (even said this at the start of this thread).

jhgtyre;

Now that my wife and I have already sent in our applications WITH ONE CHECK ( we sent our apps in last wednesday, before the lastest change) what's going to happen with us? We looked everywhere to make sure one check was ok. What about all the other couples and small groups who want to shoot together? Say that one of them gets chosen and the other(s) don't? Why would you break up couples/shooting partners? this is just crazyness... :wacko: Stick with the plan and don't change stuff mid-stream!

jj

Hello,

I am merely the web guy for this match. I don't have any insights into the selection process or any input into it for that matter. If you check out the Contacts page for the match you should be able to send an e-mail to the appropriate parties. I hope it works out well for you and your wife.

Thanks,

-Larry

• 2 weeks later...
The problem here is simple. There are alot more people who like to shoot 3-gun matches than there are folks willing to do all of the work to put a first class match on. The solution is a bit more difficult. 3-gunning needs more people stepping up and helping to plan and run matches. If you don't like this situation, quit whining and think about how you might be able to contribute solving the problem.

Actually, the last time I checked, the SMM3G match has a waiting list for ROs. See below for reason.

Wow!, there is no way we can even attempt to keep everyone happy but yet so many are quick to throw out the comments.

The problem lies in the fact that the shooters involved with this match and the Desert Classic put on to good of a match and everyone wants to shoot them. You make many good points but here is the problem to many of them.

1. Nobody gets paid here it is all donated time including taking time off of real work to setup and help work the match.

Sorry, gonna have to call foul on this one. By my estimates (and it's just an estimate), approx 25-30% of the prizes for the match are reserved for the ROs only. I'm not opposed to compensation for the ROs, but let's tell it like it is. The ROs do have their own prize drawing following the match that includes several firearms and other big ticket items.

Furthermore, under Furbee's management (and I don't know if this is still the case), non-shooting ROs did get paid some cash.

Edited by MP5_guy

If there are 200 shooters who pay, that's over $45,000 in fees. I know some of that goes to the range but some of that should be set aside for people who take time off work to help set up and RO.

If there are 200 shooters who pay, that's over $45,000 in fees. I know some of that goes to the range but some of that should be set aside for people who take time off work to help set up and RO.

Try this... I heard that the prize table for SMM3G was worth something like $180K this year. If 25% is set aside for the ROs, that's.... $45,000 worth of stuff. That sounds like compensation. :)

FWIW, I don't really think the prize table was worth $180K, but at least for SMM3G and the Area 2 match, the ROs are taken care of. I don't know if this is the case with other large matches.

• 3 weeks later...