Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I am being thick, but I dont understand the round count quota - regarding the single shots - is that implying a A zone hit, on paper and single hit on steel - and double shots implying how much ammo you need to take for 2 hits on paper and a single hit on steel - I assume this is the case.......?

By that calculation does it mean that there is 23 pistol paper targets and 4 steel / other pistol targets ? :unsure:

Round Counts

Type Single Shots Double Shots

Rifle 97 174

Pistol 27 50

Shot 67

Slugs 20

Totals 211 311

OK I am being thick, but I dont understand the round count quota - regarding the single shots - is that implying a A zone hit, on paper and single hit on steel - and double shots implying how much ammo you need to take for 2 hits on paper and a single hit on steel - I assume this is the case.......?

By that calculation does it mean that there is 23 pistol paper targets and 4 steel / other pistol targets ? :unsure:

Round Counts

Type Single Shots Double Shots

Rifle 97 174

Pistol 27 50

Shot 67

Slugs 20

Totals 211 311

I'll take a shot at this.

Thinking outloud...

Lets use rifle as the example.

If you double 97, that equals 194. Thats 20 more than 174. I think this means there are 20 steel rifle targets. To test that, subtract the 20 steel targets from 97 and that gives you 77. If 77 is the number of paper targets and you shoot twice at them, thats 154 rounds. Add 20 steel targets and thats 174!

So, I think the "Single shots" is the number of rounds you will use if you shoot once at all targets, paper and steel. "Double shots" is the number of rounds you will use if you shoot once at the steel targets and twice at the paper targets.

So, I think the "Single shots" is the number of rounds you will use if you shoot once at all targets, paper and steel. "Double shots" is the number of rounds you will use if you shoot once at the steel targets and twice at the paper targets.

I think you've got it.

-ld

Cheers Mike !

That is what I figured but needed confirmation !

Hope you are well and see you in March, are we all going to be squadded together again ? I hope so as it was a great squad last year.

Based on an earlier e-mail exchange with Barbara, I believe that most of the squad will be back again this year, but I don't know definitively. There may have been some more additions after the lottery. Hopefully, we can focus a little more on shooting and a little less on defending ourselves from the elements this year. In any case, it will be great to see you on this side of the pond again. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

OK I will be the first one to ask how the match is progressing - only 4 weeks to go and I am excited !!

I know SMM dont preview stages, like Benning, but any idea would be nice ?

Should I bring my snow shoes this year ?? :D

Edited by mike.45

First day: Dry, hot, windy with snakes and bugs abound. Dust so bad you cant keep it out of any of the cracks.

Second day: Cold, rain, sleet. smow, chill factor in the minus catagory, creek running through the middle of the stages.

Third day: How the heck is it allready over, it never last long enough. I want more.

It doesn't matter what the stages are, they are gooing to be great.

I got shoot man, I got three guns for one finger. What a happy little pointer.

Get yourself over here mate and lets get blastin.

Ty

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got confirmation from the match directors...magazine fed shotguns like the Saiga-12 are legal for tactical scope division so long as the gun never has more than 9 rounds in it at a time (between chamber and magazine) and it follows all the other rules for tactical division shotgun.

I think I'll be changing divisions...

Well I just got confirmation from the match directors...magazine fed shotguns like the Saiga-12 are legal for tactical scope division so long as the gun never has more than 9 rounds in it at a time (between chamber and magazine) and it follows all the other rules for tactical division shotgun.

I think I'll be changing divisions...

Should not make any difference... :rolleyes: Everyone knows you can load a shotgun one round at a time as fast as slapping a 9 round mag into place. :wacko:

I think this is BS. a magazine fed shotgun is so much more efficient when a stage is 14-15 shots or more. Even in USPSA Detachable magazines are defined as speed loaders, any Division that speed loaders are not allowed, will apply to detachable magazines as well. Hence the tactical division. I know mystery mountain isn't a USPSA event, but it sure seems like it would make sense to follow this rule. Another dumb rule for mystery mountain.

Just so you know...I wasn't the one that brought up the issue. I was registered in Open until I heard someone else was doing it so I figured I should ask. I thought everyone would like a heads up since these guns are becoming more popular, and the people who have them wouldn't want to artificially hold themselves back from using modern equipment.

I really don't care either way what division I'm in. However, Like anyone else here I will make the most advantage of the rules as they are.

....... and the people who have them wouldn't want to artificially hold themselves back from using modern equipment.

I just keep reading and rereading this statement. Competitors holding themselves back from using modern equipment has nothing to do with the issue here. TO ME the issue is a poor decision in regard to allowing the use of improper/wrong equipment in Tac division.

Modern equipment my ass!! Shotguns are outdated, antiqueted, if thats a word. You, yourself called them ancient last year. Now all of a sudden saiga's came on the market with magazines and now shotguns are modern equipment?

Use of a shotgun in competition isn't about skill level in shooting, its about how fast you can reload the gun!!

Modern equipment my ass!! Shotguns are outdated, antiqueted, if thats a word....

....Use of a shotgun in competition isn't about skill level in shooting, its about how fast you can reload the gun!!

duh...one reason among many why the match we put on is rifles only.

You, yourself called them ancient last year. Now all of a sudden saiga's came on the market with magazines and now shotguns are modern equipment?

Well they're more modern than tube feds, 20th century tech vs 19th century...but in general I agree.

Detachable magazine fed shotguns in tactical class is ridiculous. I can't imagine what logic could be behind this decision.

The point about not having more than 9 rounds in the gun at any time is strange too. As it stands, such a rule does not apply to tube fed shotguns. In the prior 2-3 SMM3Gs, the 9 round limitation has only applied to the shotgun at the start, but more were allowed after the buzzer.

Edited by rmfield

This has got to be a joke! :lol:

That spring forward time change made today April 1 and they are just messing with us!

That's it! Right????!?!?!?!?! :wacko:

Hopefully that is the case!

This is a very interesting development at this late a date out from the match. I just can't wait to hear what everyone has to say between now and the end of the match. This oughta' be a pretty darned interesting thread to follow ;-)

[Moderator Mode On] But let's do remember to keep it polite, or we may not get to watch the whole story unfold in this thread. Thanks. [Moderator Mode Off]