Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oops, Dropped My Gun

John K

I was getting to the front of the check in line and when they asked for my pistol, well it just fell out of the, apparently unzippered pouch. Hit me right in the foot and then slid about 8 feet. To top it all off I swept the check in guy with the muzzle when I retrieved it.

That being said, the RO was a little upset but was fair and did not make me feel any smaller, if possible than I already did. He said that I had dropped my gun in the only place in the match that they wouldn't DQ me from, as I hadn't checked in yet. saw the guy latter in the day and we just sort of laughed. I went on to have a pretty good match.

I learned a big lesson that day.

The RO was great at beig firm and compassionate. I'd like to say that I would never do that again, but........

Let's hope I learn from my mistakes.

John

I was getting to the front of the check in line and when they asked for my pistol, well it just fell out of the, apparently unzippered pouch. Hit me right in the foot and then slid about 8 feet. To top it all off I swept the check in guy with the muzzle when I retrieved it.

That being said, the RO was a little upset but was fair and did not make me feel any smaller, if possible than I already did. He said that I had dropped my gun in the only place in the match that they wouldn't DQ me from, as I hadn't checked in yet. saw the guy latter in the day and we just sort of laughed. I went on to have a pretty good match.

The RO was great at beig firm and compassionate. I'd like to say that I would never do that again, but........

John

flew down with some friends to a match in Piru in the late 80's called the trophy challenge. buddy gets to the line with his gun in the locked case. ro said unbag, he opens the case and his gun falls on the ro's foot. funny at the time. in that situation, "unbag" really was the start of the stage, and under uspsa rules, he likely woulda been gone. but the trophy challenge was not ipsc.

John

flew down with some friends to a match in Piru in the late 80's called the trophy challenge. buddy gets to the line with his gun in the locked case. ro said unbag, he opens the case and his gun falls on the ro's foot. funny at the time. in that situation, "unbag" really was the start of the stage, and under uspsa rules, he likely woulda been gone. but the trophy challenge was not ipsc.

Check in line??? Is this an IPSC (as opposed to USPSA) phenomena?

Unloaded, dropped gun outside of the confines of running a stage is not a DQ under USPSA rules. Not sure how it applies to a "check in line".

IDPA Match

Required verification that the blaster you brought conforms to specs of the division you entered. They inspected it before giving you your shooter pack.

Ah . . . thanks for the clarification. Except for USPSA matches, I don't get out much. :wacko:

If my memory serves me correctly, dropping an UNloaded gun is not a match DQ.

just my .02 cents

It would be if it happened after LMR & before RIC. 10.5.3

Also, if dropped any time other than shooting the CoF AND gun is retrieved by the shooter. (10.5.14)

• 4 weeks later...

Never Droped one at a competition (only been to two) but when I was in Boot Camp....

I was the poor recruit who was holding everyones weapons while they were in the head. Some Col. comes walking by, and the Sr. DI yell's Atteniton on Deck! (we were getting ready to go down to the butts... line was cold) Like a good little Recruit, I Snapped to attention and threw up a crisp salute.... and 6 BRAND NEW M16A2's went clattering to the ground..... I was doing pushups for a WEEK!

Oh well. I still shot expert.

Billy