Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig-sauer P226 X-five All-around

wmtell

I just purchased an X-Five All-Around (SA/DA) in 9mm specifically for IPSC/USPSA use. I have been shooting an X-Five L1 (SAO) for target/bullseye and I must say that the gun is more accurate than I will ever be. It is a rock solid platform and reliable. It is the most accurate Sig at distance since the P210 and I almost like it as much as my P210-5.

I plan to upgrade the fixed front sight to factory FO sight and have some work done to smooth the action on DA and reset on SA. Probably, I will replace the plastic factory grips with the straigt replacement wood grips from Karl Nill (I adore them on many of my guns and was pleased to see them on the new X-Five and X-Six).

As I am relatively new to Practical Shooting, dos anyone see any problems with my plans for the X-Five All-Around as a Production Class gun (it is on the list).

Eventually, I hope to convert my X-Five L1 to a real Open Class Gun, but will need to restore my cash flow first.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

that's a great gun..

one of your local shooters..Roger Sherman of the Air Force Shooting Team uses one for competition and it seems to really work for him..I believe he had Bruce Gray do the trigger work on his..I played with one of his back up Sig226SST guns with a Bruce Gray trigger and it was phenomenal..

you picked a good one.

Hello every one i was wondering how come you never really hear much about sig guns in uspsa to me all i see are springfield XDs and glocks. I was curious in why sig isn't to much around i thought they were decent pistols one questions that i had back in my mind. haha another reason im asking is because i have a sig 226. That i would possibly use for production only problem is it has fixed sights

Hello every one i was wondering how come you never really hear much about sig guns in uspsa to me all i see are springfield XDs and glocks. I was curious in why sig isn't to much around i thought they were decent pistols one questions that i had back in my mind. haha another reason im asking is because i have a sig 226. That i would possibly use for production only problem is it has fixed sights

SIGs are a very good gun..we have a couple of shooters that use them in production..

not sure what their sight setup is..but all I use on my CZs are fixed sights..once they are dialed in for your load...you are good to go..

Erik Lund shoots an old ragged looking 226 with an awesome Bruce Gray trigger. You look at his gun and think what a POS.....that guy can't shoot.......his equpments wore out. Then the buzzer goes off and you think to yourself.......WOW. Its definitely the singer not the song.

BTW....I actually prefer fixed sights on everything including limited.

Edited by 00bullitt

I don't hink the fact that your 226 has Fixed Sights should prevent you from using it in Production at all!!

Dave Sevigny doesn't use Adjustable Sights!!

Neither did Julie, Jerry, Bobby McGee, Scott Warren, Gilberto Perez (Sig 226) and many others!!

IMHO, Adjustable Sights are just one more think to Break at the Match!!

Ask STI's CEO/HMFIC Dave Skinner back at the 97 or 98 Area 3 in Rolla!!

I saw him shoot a stage and trhow over 15 rounds at a Popper, when hew finally finished, we all noticed that the real blare off his Bomar was totally gone!!! I've never seen a Heinie or a Novak and now Warren Sights break-Off!!

All my 1911's have a Novak Cut, and my Factory Refurb Certified SIG 226 has Heinies, I would feel just fine shooting it in Production, I just like my M&P Better :D

Erik Lund shoots an old ragged looking 226 with an awesome Bruce Gray trigger. You look at his gun and think what a POS.....that guy can't shoot.......his equpments wore out. Then the buzzer goes off and you think to yourself.......WOW. Its definitely the singer not the song.

His sights are the Factory ones, just turned around so that the Dots are facing Forward!!

and yes, it does look like $hit!! But daaaang!!! Can he use it!!

OK, someone please give Yamil a GM card in action photogtaphy already...

Edited by ysued

Beware of the man with one a beat up gun, he probably knows how to use it.

I think the reason you don't see more Sigs or HKs is evident in the first picture. Both guns have a high bore axis = more muzzle flip. Sure the top shooters can make them work, that's what they are paid to do. The average guy will find the Glock and XD platforms easier to shoot.

I think the reason you don't see more Sigs or HKs is evident in the first picture. Both guns have a high bore axis = more muzzle flip. Sure the top shooters can make them work, that's what they are paid to do. The average guy will find the Glock and XD platforms easier to shoot.

also a new Sig or HK costs a fair bit more than a Glock, an XD or a CZ

Maybe I looked in the wrong place but prices I saw for the X-5 were something like 4x or 5x the price of a Glock/XD/CZ sort of gun.

If that holds true, maybe that's a reasonable reason for the lack of X-5's being shot in USPSA/IPSC.

Maybe I looked in the wrong place but prices I saw for the X-5 were something like 4x or 5x the price of a Glock/XD/CZ sort of gun.

If that holds true, maybe that's a reasonable reason for the lack of X-5's being shot in USPSA/IPSC.

X-Five All-Around is about $1200-$1400

post-627-1161969201.jpg

Edited by eerw

I will replace the plastic factory grips with the straigt replacement wood grips from Karl Nill (I adore them on many of my guns and was pleased to see them on the new X-Five and X-Six).

Here is the applicable USPSA Production rule:

21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for

the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber

sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously

mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release

or size reduction.

I will replace the plastic factory grips with the straight replacement wood grips from Karl Nill (I adore them on many of my guns and was pleased to see them on the new X-Five and X-Six).

Here is the applicable USPSA Production rule:

21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for

the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber

sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously

mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release

or size reduction.

Thanks for the chapter and verse. Actually, I plan to replace the plastic OEMs with Sig-Sauer's own Karl Nill X-Five OEMs. As such, they should conform to the Rules.

Edited by wmtell