Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What A Great Evening!

ima45dv8

I just HAVE to tell y'all about this.

Night before last, after all the days work-related activities were done, everyone took a break to clean up and then met down at the hotel bar as directed. Soon thereafter three big tour buses showed up at 6:30. We loaded up and took a short drive to Sea World. (I'm thinking, "Sea World isn't open at night, is it?") Well, it was open on THIS Wednesday night -- JUST FOR US! My company and one of our prime vendors sprung for an evening I will always remember.

As we went through the gate out first stop was at an area set up with beer and mixed drinks, just to make the walk to the auditorium a little easier (you gotta love it when a company serves cold adult beverages simply as an apology for making you walk!). We get to the auditorium and have more cocktails and such, and visit for a while, until they wheel out an excellent buffet dinner.

After a wonderful dinner they walk us over to one of the big indoor aquariums that specializes in Manatee rescues, for dessert and more libations. **Between you and me, I saw some enormous catfish in that tank that brought Hushpuppies and french fry recipes to mind (yum!). I'd venture a guess that that wasn't what they intended with that exhibit....

When you were done admiring the view (they didn't hurry anyone at all) we were funneled over to the Shark House. Too cool for school!!!

At the entrance of the Shark House there was yet another bartender open for business. This was one of those cool places that winds down several levels to where you were walking through a glass tunnel with large predators swimming all around you. More than a few of these nasty looking fellows made me think "2-Alpha, 2-Alpha, etc.". ;-)

Exiting that exhibit we were led to a large pool with a very special guest of honor. After seating we were treated to a private show by Shamu and his 2 mates! Talk about overwhelming!! It was truly astounding to witness the level of training these young superstars had managed to bring out of these large Orcas. Killer Whales, a stunning light show, and awesome music made for a spectacular show!

**I'm an Operations grunt and not usually invited to these "Sales-y" events. Man, what a treat!!!

Cool - what a fun night. Seaworld rocks, but normally not quite like it rocked for you that night! The Killer whales are just mind boggling. And San Diego rocks too. I usually get in a couple long weekends a year there. And have a great time every time.

:D

San Diego is one of my favorite towns. For a while the wife and I placed the town on our "We could live there" list, but eventually it got bumped off because of their refusal to pick up the town and move it out of California.

San Diego is one of my favorite towns. For a while the wife and I placed the town on our "We could live there" list, but eventually it got bumped off because of their refusal to pick up the town and move it out of California.

Same here, San Diego is always a trip I don't mind taking for work, it's just great out there. Friend of mine from school is stationed out on Coronado so it's always great to see him and hit some of his regular haunts when he's in town. It's defintely on the my "places I wouldn't mind living list" but going from almost total freedom firearm-wise to CA would be hard (even for great weather, we had flurries here this morning).

For what its worth, I sadly have to live in NJ, I don't have to spend my travel dollars in places that hate my hobby as much as my home state does.

That said, I passed on a tripto San Diego next spring. GOing to FL instead.

BTW, Our company rented Main Street USA at Disney for a cororate meeting a few years back. We went in after the park closed and had a ball. Definately a good time. (Yeah, I know Disney isn't friendly either, but family sometimes rules over politics)

Jim

• 7 months later...

Its pretty much always 84 degrees and sunny, in the area, all year. Check out La Jolla if you like great resturants and bars. There are also beaches and palm trees scattered along the coast. Couple of good shooting clubs in the area. Its southern CA so ITS FULL OF HOT WOMAN TOO. Sorry got a little carried away.

My brother moved there last year and I would live there in a second of it wasn't for the communist like, gun laws. Pretty much all laws stink in CA.

What's to see in the area?

Having lived there for a goodly portion of my life, let me give you some of my favs in no particular order...

Dog Beach in Ocean Beach - even without your own dog, it's fun to watch pets and the owner's play in the surf.

Exploring the tide pools at La Jolla

The Star of India and the Berkley - Floating museums on the wharf

A drive up to Julian for the apple festival through the Quyamaca mountains, stop at Dudley's bakery on the way back and buy some Danish apple walnut bread.

Whale watching

Deep sea fishing

Balboa Park and it's myriad of museums including the houses of international relations and the japanese gardens.

The San Diego Zoo

Dinner at any Anthony's Sea Food Grotto (Drink the Grog, Drink the Grog!)

Wander around sea side at Shelter or Harbor Island

Eat a burger and play darts at the Bold Weevil

Explore Old Town, the Presidio, and the Mission...and while there in old town eat at Casa de Bandini (seafood chimichanga) or Casa De Pico

To this day I remember the limerick posted on the restaurant tables:

There once was a man named Rocco

and a pigeon who wanted his taco.

Said Rocco these words,

"Please don't feed the birds

for we fear it may bring a whole flocko."

ETA: And how could I forget!!! The "Over the Line" tournaments at Mission Bay!!! (Go profo-athlectics!)

San Diego has conservative roots as it was (and still is to a degree) a navy town. The weatherman could almost do his forecast days in advance because most times it stays in the 70's. Too bad it can't just secede from Kalifornia.

Edited by carinab

Thanks for the good intel. Sounds nice.

Here is the deal. My girlfriend wants to go on a cruise out of San Diego. (Carnival...to points south.) I have absolutely zero desire to go on a cruise ship. None. Did I mention zero? I am fat and lazy enough as it is. If I am going to float around on water and do nothing but drink and eat for a week (and, I don't see it going any other way), I'd rather float down the local river in an inner-tube with a cooler in tow.

But, the idea of San Diego itself...that sounds interesting.

If I am going to float around on water and do nothing but drink and eat for a week (and, I don't see it going any other way), I'd rather float down the local river in an inner-tube with a cooler in tow.

TOO FUNNY! I have a similar view of cruises.

BUT... I grew up in So.Cal and love the area.... too bad it's changed too much for me to go back for anything but a a vacation.

What's to see in the area?

Having lived there for a goodly portion of my life, let me give you some of my favs in no particular order...

Dog Beach in Ocean Beach - even without your own dog, it's fun to watch pets and the owner's play in the surf.

Exploring the tide pools at La Jolla

The Star of India and the Berkley - Floating museums on the wharf

A drive up to Julian for the apple festival through the Cuyamaca mountains, stop at Dudley's bakery on the way back and buy some Danish apple walnut bread.

Whale watching

Deep sea fishing

Balboa Park and it's myriad of museums including the houses of international relations and the japanese gardens.

The San Diego Zoo

Dinner at any Anthony's Sea Food Grotto (Drink the Grog, Drink the Grog!)

Wander around sea side at Shelter or Harbor Island

Eat a burger and play darts at the Boll Weevil

Explore Old Town, the Presidio, and the Mission...and while there in old town eat at Casa de Bandini (seafood chimichanga) or Casa De Pico

To this day I remember the limerick posted on the restaurant tables:

There once was a man named Rocco

and a pigeon who wanted his taco.

Said Rocco these words,

"Please don't feed the birds

for we fear it may bring a whole flocko."

ETA: And how could I forget!!! The "Over the Line" tournaments at Mission Bay!!! (Go profo-athlectics!)

San Diego has conservative roots as it was (and still is to a degree) a navy town. The weatherman could almost do his forecast days in advance because most times it stays in the 70's. Too bad it can't just secede from Kalifornia.

Damnit Carinab...now I want a loaf of Jalepeno/Cheese bread and a Steerburger!!!!!!!!!! :wub::lol:<_<

That brings back memories of good times! :cheers: