Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm looking to buy some land to have a private range. I know almost all the answers to any questions are going to vary by county/state/etc. But thought I would see if anyone has experience doing something similar.

In my very preliminary research I've encountered a noise limit at the property boundry. Anybody know how loud pistols are roughly? They are saying 55db's at the boundry. Or where can one get a decibel meter. I think some of the codes I've come across relate more to a commercial or public range as opposed to just "shooting on your own land" but I'm not sure.

Any info appreciated.

It might be best to research the noise issues within the county you wish to build in....Noise abatement is a real issue and was a real issue with a range in the Dallas area...and they were on a highway with lots of traffic...

If you are in the area first, should have no problems when the encroachment of others gets to you, but if you plan to build in an established area, it will be tough...in more ways than the noise issue..then there are the issues with lead in the soil and runoff from rain into others property or the ground water sources...lots to consider before you build it and also if you decide to sell it after having shot on it for a while...

A guy in Houston had a clays range on 28 acres for 10 yrs...he got a hotel chain interested in buying the land but it would have cost over 2million dollars to get rid of the top several inches of soil where the pellets were...the land is still sitting idle and that was 5 yrs ago...

Just some issues to consider.. :)

check with the NRA. thay have a range development course that is really good. I took it myself maybe 4 yrs ago and it was a good class that covered all the aspects of building a range, public or private. also, if you built it around their guidelines, how could you go wrong?

Steve

Edited by tewlman

Smitty,

We built a range (three-side pistol bay, 60 feet wide by 90 feet deep, 10+ foot berms) on our 20 acres about a year and a half ago. Our property sits on the edge of a small town (very small, population 714) in rural Indiana. We have had no problems, but then again we live in a very gun-friendly environment. Noise is not a problem. Our range is at least 800 feet from the nearest property and at that distance the sound of a handgun is not an issue. Can't even be heard indoors.

The NRA has a range "binder" that costs about $50. We purchased it just to make sure we built our range to spec in case there were any inquiries / objections. It has far more information than we will ever need. Our range also meets / exceeds USPSA recommendations for the same reason.

Don't know if this helps as our experience is purely anecdotal.

David

More important than the actual DBs is the attitude of the neighbors. Get some that don't care and you're golden. Get some that want to be a pain in the butt and it will be a pain even if you're legal. The noise of a pistol shot can be heard for a long way if the conditions are right.

That said, I've seen wood walls made of 4x4 posts with boards on alternate sides sorta pallet-style work really well to cut shot noise

There National Association of Shooting Ranges (which I assume is a branch of the National Shooting Sports Foundation since they share the same address) lists a bunch of noise consultants at http://www.rangeinfo.org/supp_cons.cfm

One of these consultants, Erich Thalheimer, is a USPSA member and was in charge of noise (or perhaps, in charge of quietness) on the most expensive public works project in US history (the Boston Big Dig). I've seen a draft of one of his reports for an outdoor range which include a topological map style plot of noise contours. He can basically produce any analysis you can afford :).

Smitty, you're getting good advice here, but before you actually sign anything, be sure to consult with a smart land use attorney in the area. I can immediately think of a dozen potential legal issues that your project could raise. A good lawyer can help insulate you from the possibility of expensive problems in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon,

Let me know if you need any help with any environmental issues (i.e., permits, noise and groundwater monitoring, wetlands, etc.). I am a Registered Professional Environmental Engineer in the State of Florida.

Just some advice on who you pick. There is a range in the West that hired company in AZ to do a study. The company was not an engineering company but architects and planning consultants. And it has caused major problems. There is a big difference. Engineering Companies have to have a registered professional engineer (PE). Anyone can put Architect or Planner behind their name, that means you, me, the guy next door. It does not speak to their qualifications. Which can come back to haunt you later as it did in NM.

The NSSF is a great resource. I personally do not know Big Guy but if he is a PE in Fl he is the type of professional you want signing your documents.

I personally do not know Big Guy but if he is a PE in Fl he is the type of professional you want signing your documents.

I know Big Guy and yes, he'd be the guy I'd have sign and stamp my permit apps, plans or any other document needing sign & seal. Because he's a PE and a most competent one.

Smitty, I can do your wetland delineation and NEPA document. ;)