Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter Clothing

Holshot

Personally, I like anything made of thermax. REI, Cabelas, etc all have winter weather shirts and long underwear for various conditions. When it's really cold I like the thermax because I can run around in it but won't get clammy since it keeps me dry and warm on the inside. For rainy weather I have a pair of Goretex pants that I got from REI.

Vince

Under Armor makes a "Cold Gear" clothing line, it should fit just the same. I know they are a little thicker material with a lining. Should be able to find it at any major online outdoor supply catalog (i.e. Cabela's, Brigade Quartermasters,)

Lowe, Patagonia, Northface, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, ect. They all have "expedition weight" underwear. Basically tight think fleece. YOu may think it is expensive, but it lasts a long time with good care. I have a Lowe shirt I've used for 10+ years and it is in great shape.

I love patagonia. The stuff is pricey, but in my experience holds up better than any other. The base layers are made in capilene, which is a stretchy, wicking fabric, and come in four or five different weights. Great stuff. Cheers.

-br

• 2 years later...
Anybody try merino wool?

Yep, great way to go! I get the winter base layer stuff made for cycling as it's not bulky under my regular shooting clothes. Works for me in the Pacific Northwest winters anyway.

As a Norwegian i have seen my share of cold weather. In my experience Haglofs is one of the best.

Check out: Haglofs

Dont know if it is possible to get in America but if you find it, buy it!

Haglofs is from Sweden and has made expedition and outdoors clothes since 1914.

For your use i would recomend the POLARTEC® POWER STRETCH® series.

No, i dont work for Haglofs :)

Anyone have a recommendation for a warm thin form-fitting shirt for shooting USPSA in winter.

If you live where the weather is cold, then you already know about layering and there is a whole new breed of clothing just made for layering. A surprisingly good place to look for info on this kind of wear is a cycling shop or cycling magazines.

And I've recently gotten interested in Under Armour heat gear and cold gear. It seems rather expensive at first glance, but it also appears to work extremely well. I know a lot of people who work summers at the beach and they swear by Under Armour polo shirts.

When it starts getting nippy I wear an UnderArmour ColdGear shirt as an undershirt under my normal shooting polo shirt. : http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens...ock/1000512-001

Down to about mid-40's that is all I need. Any colder than that then I just wear an appropriate weight jacket until I am up to shoot, and the ColdGear shirt is enough to keep the chill off for the minute or two it takes to shoot a stage.

• 3 months later...

Now that winter is here or just about I have a question...has anyone tried anything in cold weather clothing especially sox that is equal (or close) to "Under Armour" and less expensive. I've tried a number of different things except "electric sox".

Thanks in advance.

Richard

I have a bunch of UA Cold Gear stuff and it works really well. I like the long sleeve Mock under a normal shooting shirt when it's reasonably cold. When it gets a little colder I'll wear a long sleeve tactical crew (seems a little lighter material than normal Cold Gear) and then put a Tactical 1/4 zip over that....the zipper lets me regulate my temp a little bit. Actually, now that it's gotten colder here I'll throw the 1/4 zip over a tee shirt and it's nice for working in the shop and going out with the dogs.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens...Zip/1005557-001

Hello: If you keep your head and feet warm/dry just layer the rest of your body. I am using Smart wool socks and like how they are working so far. I used to use Wig Wom(sp) socks when I lived in Canada and used to ski alot. I also used Murray Merkley touques/hats as well. It is hard to beat wool, cotton and silk materials. For underwear I used to use Stanfields double layer thermo ones. I know some of the newer type stuff works great now but I have not tried them except Thinsilate(sp) in gloves and jackets. There are alot of great outdoor shops that can supply everything you need. Thanks, Eric

Merlino Wool is great. I have socks that I wear all year, lighter in Summer, heaver in Winter. I have a boatload of DuoFold that Ive had for years. Good stuff, THi layer of cotton to keep woll off the skin and then the wool outer layer. Got this stuff before UA was around. Add a layer of silk as a bas and a pair of flannel lined jeans over an dI am warm for anything we have around here.

Wool pants and sweaters are also real good. And have the extra added benefit of keeping you warm even when wet. Hint, keeping dry is important. and regulating foot temperature is probably the most difficult. Remember if your feet are cold, put on a hat.

I have been thinking of getting a set of merlino wool long johns. Should be real nice and czy, but probably too much most of the time.

For real cold mornings during set-up or when I find myself having to plow or work outside all day, I have the Carhart insulated Bibs and a Carhart coat. There is also a Carhart Hood that is NOT attached, but slips oner hour head and has a real nice soft neck ring. Allows full motion of your head without getting hood blinded. especially nice when working around a lot of machinery.

All in all though, I'd rather move to a warmer clime in the Winter and back in the Summer. sort of be a USPSA-Match bird )as opposed to a Snowbird)

Jim

I just got a set (top & bottom) of Smartwool midweight baselayers. Wore it for saturday's match, which wasn't that cold but quite windy. I was very pleased with it and am looking forward to trying it in some real cold. The best part is that as the day warmed up I didn't really feel hot.