Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Glock 22 Upgrades

elenius

I just started shooting my glock 22 in production (I reload for soft .40s).

I am considering what upgrades to get for this gun, and I would like some input from the experts here :)

I understand that I can change the sights. I am considering the "Heinie SlantPro with CGR Race Cut" found here.

(Sound good?).

As I understand, I can also change the barrel (right?) but I might not, since I'm not too scared of pressure problems with my minor loads.

My main question is, can I use one of these trigger kits?

The rule book says I can do trigger work to increase reliability... Not sure if this falls under

that category?

Your sight choice should be a good one. I use the same front sight but I use a Novak in the rear (I just file down the front sight to make it work). I like really small sights but I might be going to the Heinie rear pretty soon.

The trigger kit should be legal as long as there are no modifications to the outside of the trigger. This includes the over-travel screw that some companies put in the trigger pad. All safeties must remain functional as well. I would ask the company that sells it about those things, though I am sure someone here has probably already tried that kit.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Unleashed

Good sights, some grip tape, and some ammo should be all you need.

I wouldn't bother with the trigger. I shoot a factory pull Glock just as well as anything else. I am of the opinion that all Glock triggers suck, and that no matter how much money you spend you can only reduce the suck, it won't go away. Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG fan of Glocks and use them, but match grade trigger and Glock to me in the same sentence is a joke. I would spend the money on practice ammo or instruction.

I have to disagree about the trigger.

While it will never be a 1911 trigger, the RS trigger kit is a major improvement. Mine no longer sucks, it's just really "different". While you can do nearly the same yourself, the RS kit saves some time. Mine did limit me to Federal primers. That way it goes bang every time.

Grip tape is a must-have unless you sweat glue.

I like the Bomar rear and Dawson FO front sight. The factory dovetail Bomar isn't pretty, but it's a noticeably increased sight radius over my 1911s and like it (G35).

Triggers. I've got the RS trigger in my 34 for production, and a Vanek drop in in my 17 for production, both of which are legal. After shooting these triggers in a Glock I would never go back to stock IMHO.

As said, take a good look at the Sevigny competition sights from Warren Tactical, they are on both my guns now which use to have the Race cut Heinies with dawson FO front. These Sevigny sights are really fast, some of the best IMHO.

Triggers. I've got the RS trigger in my 34 for production, and a Vanek drop in in my 17 for production, both of which are legal. After shooting these triggers in a Glock I would never go back to stock IMHO.

As said, take a good look at the Sevigny competition sights from Warren Tactical, they are on both my guns now which use to have the Race cut Heinies with dawson FO front. These Sevigny sights are really fast, some of the best IMHO.

What is the width of the Sevigny front sight? I like the thinner ones a lot. And which of the two has the wider rear notch? I like the wider ones :)

Also, do I need any special tools to install the sights? I noticed some of them come with a tool for the front sight, and gunracing.com has a $75 tool and a $5 tool to install rear sights :huh:

Edited by elenius

Last I heard the Sotelo trigger (the one you posted a link to) was/is legal for Production. The Charlie Vanek trigger isn't legal in Production because it modifies the trigger enough that you can see it from the outside of the gun.

I just started shooting my glock 22 in production (I reload for soft .40s).

I am considering what upgrades to get for this gun, and I would like some input from the experts here :)

I understand that I can change the sights. I am considering the "Heinie SlantPro with CGR Race Cut" found here.

(Sound good?).

As I understand, I can also change the barrel (right?) but I might not, since I'm not too scared of pressure problems with my minor loads.

My main question is, can I use one of these trigger kits?

The rule book says I can do trigger work to increase reliability... Not sure if this falls under

that category?

Last I heard the Sotelo trigger (the one you posted a link to) was/is legal for Production. The Charlie Vanek trigger isn't legal in Production because it modifies the trigger enough that you can see it from the outside of the gun.
vanek also sells a drop in kit that is legal for production. it's not as light as his full on trigger job (which is not legal in production), but is very similar to the sotelo trigger kit.

The Charlie Vanek trigger isn't legal in Production because it modifies the trigger enough that you can see it from the outside of the gun.

Charlie Vanek makes a PRODUCTION LEGAL drop-in trigger kit. I have Vanek Custom triggers in my glocks. His triggers are hands down the best glock triggers on the market for function, quality of workmanship, reliability, and you can't beat Charlie for customer service IMO. Again, he makes different types of triggers depending on the division you are shooting and he does make a PRODUCTION LEGAL drop-in kit that's totally sick! (these days that means it's really, really awsome B) )

edited because I flunked english

Edited by glockrocker

didn't see anyone respond to this. you can change the barrel and still be legal in production as long as its the same caliber and length as the original. i don't shoot .40 but everyone i know that does and reloads has a kkm or equivalant type barrel replacement.

What is the width of the Sevigny front sight? I like the thinner ones a lot. And which of the two has the wider rear notch? I like the wider ones :)

Also, do I need any special tools to install the sights? I noticed some of them come with a tool for the front sight, and gunracing.com has a $75 tool and a $5 tool to install rear sights :huh:

I got the $75 tool for the rear sight from gun racing. For me its a heck of alot easier to install rear sights vs beating them with a hammer. The rear sights are tight ( which you want them to be ). As far as the front sight goes, if you get the Sevigny competition sights you can also purchase the front tool for a few more bucks. If you go with the Heinie / Dawson FO front combo, Dawson includes a front sight tool in the package.

Also gun racing sells a .090 front sight. I have one and actually prefer the .115 Sevigny front. The Dawson FO front is .105 i think, which is nice to, but man the Sevigny competition combo is sweet.

Edited by kamann

The Production-legal Vanek trigger kit is $125 and the RS is $75. Is the Vanek worth the extra $$?

The RS trigger is in my 34, which I have about 1000 rnds through.

The Vanek drop in is in my 17, which I just installed in this past weekend.

In my opinion, the RS is a little lighter and smoother, which was so when it was first installed. I'm not sure if my Vanek will get lighter and smoother with time, but initally it was not quite as light. The one thing that the Vanek does do is that it will reset on its own if you depress the trigger then let off, which the RS does not. I have to say however that during live fire they both feel the same. I also know that I still have quite a few rounds to go through both of them for long term reliability, but with what I know now I would just go with the less expensive one IMHO.

I have both and prefer the Vanek. Vaneks production legal trigger provides a tweaked Glock trigger housing and a polished GLOCK factory 3.5 connector. RS provides no trigger housing and he is utilizing a polished aftermarket connector. Aside from those parts the kits are similar in content.

I have played around with the sights, and for a while swore by FO, but ended up with a Heinie rear (non race-cut), and Sevigny front. I've used this all summer, and don't see a need to experiment further.

It was fairly easy to drift the rear sight in, with a hard block of wood and a hammer, until it was even with the slide, and then tweak as needed with more beating. <grin> A rear sight tool would be nice, but isn't necessary, IMO.

First off I am no expert by any means, but also shoot a G22 in production.

Mine has a Federal match drop in barrel, tungsten guide rod w/ 15lb captured ISMI spring, I put a Glock "stock" extended mag and slide release, Tru-glo TFO sights, (I tried some Dawson adj with FO front and didn't like them), tru-grip tape, and polished up all the internals with the dremmel tool and installed a 3.5# connector.

Trigger pull isn't as clean as the G24 I picked up that had a complete drop in style triger job done on it but it breaks crisp.

As I have found, if you can't shoot it decent plain jane then the upgrades aren't going to help you much either. They just confirm it is the shooter because all of the best parts are installed. :ph34r:

Thanks a lot, all, for the input.

I decided to get the Sevigny sights (I don't like FOs), tru-grip, stainless steel guide rod, and a set of recoil springs (13#,15#,17#).

I decided to do a trigger job myself, partly because I need some use for my new dremel tool, and partly to learn how my glock works B)

In case other newbies are reading this, I found great instructions:

here and here .

So I will get a 3.5lb connector, reduced power striker spring, reduced power trigger spring, and a glock disassembly tool :)

I also need to make my mags fall free more easily. I found some suggestions that the mag catch spring could be bent a bit, so I'll try that.

And last but not least, my mags do not seat when full (10 rounds in 10 rd mags). If I use enough force to slam them in, I can't cycle the slide, and the topmost round is marked by some part in the frame which I don't know the name of yet... I think I will just try to remove part of the mag springs...

Then I'll be a happy camper ;)

Thanks a lot, all, for the input.

I decided to get the Sevigny sights (I don't like FOs), tru-grip, stainless steel guide rod, and a set of recoil springs (13#,15#,17#).

I decided to do a trigger job myself, partly because I need some use for my new dremel tool, and partly to learn how my glock works B)

In case other newbies are reading this, I found great instructions:

here and here .

So I will get a 3.5lb connector, reduced power striker spring, reduced power trigger spring, and a glock disassembly tool :)

I also need to make my mags fall free more easily. I found some suggestions that the mag catch spring could be bent a bit, so I'll try that.

And last but not least, my mags do not seat when full (10 rounds in 10 rd mags). If I use enough force to slam them in, I can't cycle the slide, and the topmost round is marked by some part in the frame which I don't know the name of yet... I think I will just try to remove part of the mag springs...

Then I'll be a happy camper ;)

Get yourself a CRTC training magazine, and tape a business card to each side, and store your pistol with that magazine in it. Or find a 1st generation NFML magazine, load it full of dummy rounds, and store it that way.

That should help your mags drop free.

I've never heard about bending the mag catch spring, and I've been shooting Glocks in competition for 5+ years now. You might achieve better results with the G20/G21 magazine catch in the G22 (extended) as you might not be getting enough "push" on the mag release to get the mag catch to clear the notch in the magazine.

You probably don't need the aftermarket trigger spring. I've gotten thousands of rounds out of my OEM trigger spring with ZERO issues.