Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide-Glide and Titegroup

Duane Thomas

Checked my records last night. It's almost 5,000 rounds since the last time I cleaned my Wilson .45 (4,856 if you want to be exact). Almost all those rounds were my lead and Titegroup reloads. And Titegroup burns so cleanly that the gun is still smooth as silk. Two great products that go great together.

How long can this go on?

Guys, when you say "clean burning powders" do you mean that the exposed barrel hood in the ejection port doesn't get black goo (SG and bunt powder), the feed ramp is still relatively shiny or no burnt powder on the muzzle area?  Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks.

Actually the experiment ended a few hours ago. Not because it really needed to, but I was pulling the gun apart to install a Nowlin long match trigger - versus the short match trigger I've been running for years - and once I had the bottom of the gun in pieces **of course** I just had to clean it. (And how's that for a run-on sentence.) And once I'd done that, well **of course** there was no reason not to do the top end, too.

• 2 months later...

Using the grease that came with my Dillon, and Tightgroup is not a powder I like.  I'm still able to go a long while without cleaning.

Last Wens. night the guy at the safe table next to me says it's been about 300 rounds since he cleaned it, and he hopes it will run.  I laugh, say I 've gone about 2000 rounds, and won't be looking to clean for a good while yet.  I lean over and look at his Caspian.  Barely any soot.  I lock my P-16 open and show him, you could make mud pies.  Gun is still tight, smooth, and runs forever.

I did admit, that it does take a long time to get all the gunk out.

I use titegroup, lead bullets and slide glide in my Para 16-40, I tried not cleaning and then my chamber got so full of junk that I could barely rack the slide with a round in it.  Am I doing something wrong to get stuff in the chamber.  To clean it out I have to scrape it out.

Duane, what p/f and bullet weight do you use in your .45?  My experience with Titegroup is that it's very dirty.  At 170pf in my .40, it's dirty, at 170pf in my .45 it's VERY dirty. But I like the way it shoots, so I tolerate the crud that builds up after a couple hundred rounds.  BTW....Great article in Blue Press about the 1911

I have just switched my NRA 38Super back to Titegroup to run up to the Bianchi Cup. It shoots better than what I normally use, but is nearly twice the cost, down here in New Zealand. It is so clean I was most disappointed when I pulled it down to clean to this afternoon, there was hardly anything to do except get the copper fouling out of the barrel.

I also highly reccommend Hodgdon's Titewad with lead projectiles. Very fast, very low recoil and super clean. Just watch the pressure with heavier bullets.

Duane, obvious answer.

Last time I tried LaserCast bullets, I kept having a problem with the lube not staying on the bullets as I loaded them - kept gumming up my press. Has that changed?

Anyone with experience with OT's new premium line of bullets?

(and yes, I will put this into the reloading forum)

"Last time I tried LaserCast bullets, I kept having a problem with the lube not staying on the bullets as I loaded them - kept gumming up my press. Has that changed?"

Just increase the bell on the case mouth a bit. That'll stop the casing from scraping lube up into the die during seating.