Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic 9mm Ar - Any Good?

chp5

I belong to two gun clubs. The one closest to me doesn't allow you to shoot rifle caliber rounds in the pits, but will allow pistol caliber carbines. As a result, I'm considering a 9mm AR for practice.

I'm considering an Oly 9mm that uses modified Sten mags: Oly 9mm

I can get a flattop complete rifle for $779 or the upper for $559.

Questions:

* Are these rifles reliable?

* Where do you get extra mags; how do you modify them and are they expensive?

* If I buy just the upper, will it run with my 5.56 lowers? I've heard things about having to change the buffer and hammer, etc . . .

* Is there a better choice other than the Oly in the same price range? RRA?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions but it seems like there's a lot of vodoo involved in 9mm ARs.

Edited by chp5

Hey also look into the Glock lowers, they use unmodified mags and you can get a 33rd 9mm mag for cheaper than Oly's Modified Sten mags.

I have not heard many reviews negative or positive on these and you would have to spend a little more for a whole rifle rather than just buying a lower. The Glock lowers do not have a stangard sixe mag well they have a mag well that fits the glock mag only.

Just something else to look into and spend more money on.

Happy Shopping,

Casey

Edited by CaseyJ

I bought a Rock River 9mm A4 for a SBR and supressor project for fun. I bought the rifle from first ADCO for $849. I have not had any experience with Olympic other than being told to stay away from them. Most AR-15 armorers will not work on them around here because of the quality. A 9mm lower has a different hammer than the .223 lower so I think you need a dedicated lower but I may be wrong. If you just buy the upper remember that you will also have to buy a mag block for another $125 to make the mags fit, so buying a complete rifle makes more sense to me.

I have the Oly 9mm upper and it runs great. $6.00 Sten mags with a mag adaptor from Socom Mfg. so you don't need to modify the mags.

I run it on a lower that was a .223 with no modifications to anything. IIRC Oly is the only 9mm upper than can be run on a 223 lower, all of the others require a different buffer and hammer or other parts.

I have the Oly 9mm upper and it runs great. $6.00 Sten mags with a mag adaptor from Socom Mfg. so you don't need to modify the mags.

I run it on a lower that was a .223 with no modifications to anything. IIRC Oly is the only 9mm upper than can be run on a 223 lower, all of the others require a different buffer and hammer or other parts.

TMC - thanks. If I get the complete rifle do I still need the SOCOM mag block?

Herky - do you have a BM 9mm?

TMC - thanks. If I get the complete rifle do I still need the SOCOM mag block?

Herky - do you have a BM 9mm?

Yes, if you want to run unmodified sten mags. Oly doesn't sell the adaptor. I got mine some years back from Socom directly. The adaptor is held in place by the stock mag catch, the sten mag is held in place by an m14 style release on the adaptor.

I’ve had an Olympic 9mm upper for years. I run mine with the Socom Mfg. mag block, which allows the use of unmodified sten mags. The Olympic upper doesn’t require a different hammer, just swap the lower from your .223 gun and go. Mine runs flawlessly with a JP trigger and a full size hammer. The big pluses of the Olympic/Socom system are the cheap ($3 each) 32 round Sten mags, you can use your standard AR lower, and they run great on the cheapest 9mm ammo you can get (Wolf, Brown Bear) . The biggest thing against the Olympic/Socom setup is the different position of the magazine catch. Also, getting the last 10 rounds in the mag without a mag loader is tough. I’ll admit, Olympic had problems with their stuff 10 or 15 years ago, but everything I’ve got from them in the past 5 years has been great. The Olympic rifle that takes Glock mags would be a great way to go. The 32 round Glock mags are fairly cheap, easy to load and the mag release is back in it’s proper position. I run a bi-monthly, high round count, pistol caliber carbine match at my local range and there are a half dozen guys using the Oly/Socom system. Everyone is happy with their reliability and function.

I have one in .45 ACP on a Cav Arms lower that uses Grease Gun Mags and it has been great. Not the 9mm version but and OLY product.

The only thing I don't like is the cheesy cast front sight which is a bit rough. I will probably change it out just because I am pickey.

Here is a pic:

408304.JPG

Neal in AZ

• 2 weeks later...

CHP,

Have you looked at the Beretta Storm's? They are a little easier on the pocket book and use the regular beretta mags (Which you can get 30 rounders for) I have shot a couple of them, and havent had one miss out to 50 yards. In fact, I think "No.343" is looking to get rid of his. It is loaded and I think they are around $500 brand spanking new.. Something to think about. You can also get them in .40 if that is your fancy to save on reloading..

Just a thought..

Mike

CHP,

Have you looked at the Beretta Storm's? They are a little easier on the pocket book and use the regular beretta mags (Which you can get 30 rounders for) I have shot a couple of them, and havent had one miss out to 50 yards. In fact, I think "No.343" is looking to get rid of his. It is loaded and I think they are around $500 brand spanking new.. Something to think about. You can also get them in .40 if that is your fancy to save on reloading..

Just a thought..

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm looking for an AR platform for practice of 3 gun on pistol-distance stages.

I've found an Oly 16 flattop upper and a mag block. After I get it I'll post a review.

Cy

Knowing nothing about 9mm AR's, does one install a comp or are they soft enough without? Just curious..

I have no first hand knowledge, but here's what I hear.

The 9mm is a blowback design and has slighly more recoil pulse than a comped .223. This seems counter-intuitive, but the Beretta Storm I shot fits this description.

You can comp a 9mm, but it has far less pressure than a .223 and a comp is not very effective.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think on this issue.

Edited by chp5

The recoil impulse in a 9mm AR is quite a bit different than a .223 AR. It’s slower and heavier mainly due to the extra mass of the bolt. A Olympic 9mm bolt is about 6 oz. heavier than a .223 bolt/carrier assembly. I tried a “Miculek” style comp on mine and it didn’t seem to make much difference, but I only shoot 147 grain subsonic loads. Shooting a fast 115 grain bullet would probably help. I have some 90 grain, 9mm bullets around here and might try a warm load with those thru the comp and see what happens. All that being said, I don’t think you could make a 9mm AR ever “feel” the same as a .223 AR.

...here's what I hear...blowback design and has slighly more recoil pulse than a comped .223... This seems counter-intuitive...

{chuckle} I remember being more than a little surprised at the difference between a comp'd 223 - and a 10mm (200gr JHPs over a max load of Blue Dot) Mech-Tech when I first touched one off...and it even had a ported barrel... :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Oly 9mm for several years. It was an older model, and it developed the disturbing habit of doubling and tripling on me. I tried several things but ended up sending it to Olympic.

They replaced the barrel & bolt with their current version, which seem more massive. It's been fine since then.

I use the Socom mag block too, with good results.

As far as shooting it, the mass of the bolt reciprocating makes the gun move around a little more than .223 ARs, but it has less recoil and is in no way unpleasant. It definitely hangs right on target.

I'd have no problems buying another one.

Cy, I just finished reading an article in Gun Test magazine where they compared the Oly 9mm, the Bushmaster 9mm, and the Rock River Arms 9mm (complete rifles), and they decided the Olympic was their choice. Mostly because you could switch the lower for .223 use, when the other two manufactures lowers are dedicated to 9mm only. But also they said the were more reliable, cost less, and you could get 32 rounds in the mags instead of 30 rounds (one manufatures mags held alot less; something like 26 rds)

Go with the Oly, Cy ........... none of the others have your name, in their name! B)

http://www.gun-tests.com/

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Cy, I just finished reading an article in Gun Test magazine where they compared the Oly 9mm, the Bushmaster 9mm, and the Rock River Arms 9mm (complete rifles), and they decided the Olympic was their choice. Mostly because you could switch the lower for .223 use, when the other two manufactures lowers are dedicated to 9mm only. But also they said the were more reliable, cost less, and you could get 32 rounds in the mags instead of 30 rounds (one manufatures mags held alot less; something like 26 rds)

Go with the Oly, Cy ........... none of the others have your name, in their name! B)

http://www.gun-tests.com/

Thanks Chris.

Today, UPS delivered my new Oly 9mm flattop upper with a threaded 16" barrel. I also picked up a SOCOM mag block off of AR15.com and new Sten mags on the cheap from CDNN.

I hope to shoot it this weekend and I'll post a review.

Edited by chp5