Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Para Extractor

TreblePlink

In my seemingly never ending quest to build a decent Para 16-40 Limited blaster, I've been troubled by failure to extract about 4% of the rounds. The hook somehow comes off the rim - sometimes. I've seen others on the forum report similar issues with the PXT "Power Extractor". There aren't many options besides buying a new $75 extractor from the Para office in Sevierville, TN. The guy I spoke with there was very helpful, but couldn't suggest anything besides trying a new one. He did say the one he was sending was a REDESIGN. - Ahh - hope!

Attached is a photo showing the old and new. Apparently the only change is to increase the length of the spacer rod by .120 --- It would be simple to buy a piece of 1/8" rod and cut off / polish a .620 piece to convert to the new design. This would seem to make the spring operate in the more compressed region for more pressure. We'll see if this cures my problem.

I asked if replacement springs were available. Nope. (Wolf - are you seeing this?)

post-5415-1157835189.jpg

Everybody I've talked to says nothing will fit the bored out extractor channel Para now uses for this PXT - I'd much rather use a standard type but ... no choice.

I've now about 180 rounds through the Para since installing the new unit - with no extraction failures (still have mag failing to feed the last round issues, but thats another story). So I think its fair to say that the performance is better than the original PXT design.

So, I was thinking that mebbe by installing a .620 spacer rod in the old one, it might fix it. Grinding off a 1/8" bit and polishing it, I installed it into the old unit. I then noticed that the cutout that the claw portion fits into looks a little different in size. (The claws look identical). I've reassembled it and it fits very tightly into the hole. Rounds seem to slide up and be held okay, but tomorrow I test the functioning. It doe look like the new design includes changes in the rear part as well.

When I was speaking to Paul at Dawson, and when I spoke to the guy at the Para shop, I asked about this very thing - who does it? They thought it should be possible, but nobody knew anybody who'd done it. If anybody has a drawing for the insert, I'd be interested. BUT

Following up on my earlier post, having made a .610 spacer rod and installed it into my original "Power Extractor", I've now shot a little over 100 rounds through it without an fte. Time will tell, but that may be a fast&cheap&easy fix for folks that develop fte with the PXT.

When I was thinking about shooting the LDA in production this is the advice I was given. Have a smith fit a sleeve inside the extractor tunnel so that it will hold the standard type extractor. A good machinist should have no problems with that.

I've been living your PXT nightmare for about a year. I shoot a 1640 ltd w/ PXT. My gun extracted perfectly for about 20000 rounds and then I started getting a failures to extract every 300 rounds. I contacted Para and at that time the were not selling the PXT. Their solution was for me to send them the gun for service. After griping for 30 minutes to 2 people they finally agreed to send me a new spring and a new claw.

The new spring and claw fixed the problem for about 3000 rounds, then the same problem. I called again and there was good news...now they sold the power extractor...then then the bad news...they had none in stock...no springs either.

I "fixed" the problem by cutting a small piece (<1/16") of hanger and dropping this in the hole under the spring. This puts more tention on the spring. I got about 2000 rounds and then the problem started again...about 1 of 300 failures to extract.

Called Para again. They remembered that I had been waiting and were kind enough to send me an entire extractor for free (thank Para!). Within 2000 rounds I started having troubles again. Last weekend during a 600 round practice session I had about 10 failures to extract. I stretched the spring before going out. UUGGHH!!!

My original extractor looks just like your original one. The new one looks just like your new one...with the longer rod.

I believe that para is having trouble with springs. I observed that the new spring was about 1/16" longer than the new spring. After more failures I noted that the new spring had compressed to the same length as the original compressed spring. Same issue with the new extractor. New spring was longer...failures after compression.

My experience was that the original extractor design was better than the new one. It ran for 20k and the new one ran for 2k.

I'm about ready to fix my Para with a hand-grenade. Even cheaper, maybe I could drag it behind my car for a couple of weeks.

My solution was to have a new STI built...it's off to the chrome shop right now, with some luck I'll have it end of the week.

Today I'm taking my gun to a local gunsmith to have him look at the issue. It does seem like a machine shop could maching a sleve so that a standard extractor would fit. The next option would be to junk the slide and have a new upper built. One way or the other I'd like to get it fixed to use as a backup gun.

I'll let you know how the visit to the gun doctor goes.

Landis

If it seems the spring is at fault, call Wolff and see what they have in the way of springs that will fit the space. Don't get into a debate over the application, they will surely tell you they don't make PXT springs, just get something the right O.D. and long enough to clip to fit.

I had these same problems with my Para. I know other guys with Para's that have never had a FTE. I finally got tired of the "power" extractor, I put a Caspian slide and Aftec on my para. No more problems.

Edited by f250sd

Update. I took my Para to Eddie Jimenea (a very good local gunsmith) and he replaced the (pos) power extractor with a Wilson series 80 extractor for a .45. This is a standard stiff metal extractor...one piece. He creatively bent the extractor so it curved right and then left, straightening at the end. It grabs the end of the case well. Afterwards he ran 20 rounds through it and it functioned fine. I need to burn a few hundred rounds through it to see if it continues to work. I'll post again later an let you know if this is a permanent fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this? After about 6K rounds, I'm experiencing the same problems as mentioned. How do you shoot a match knowing at the back of your mind that your next shot might jam? The reason I bought the PXT is that I THOUGHT its has a better design than the standard version; guess I was wrong. Hope someone can shed more light on this. Thanks so much guys!

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim:

My very wiley gunsmith came wiht a solution. First he trashed the POS power extractor. He discovered that the hole for the wilson bullet proof extractor for the .45 is only slightly smaller that the hole the pxt went into. I have 40. He bent the extractor a little left, back right and then back left, ensureing that the hood stood straight outl.

Becase of all the extractor problems I bought an STI....now there's a gun! Its run flawless for the first 6k rounds.

I spent most of my time shooting the new gun so the para doesn't get too much exercise. It has about 250 rounds through it with the Wilson extractor and it's ejected perfectly so far. One of these days I need to burn 500 rounds through it...just to exercise and old friend!!

Thanks Landis

PXT.... this gun looks really nice but it does not function as it supposed to be... i tried polishing the extractor hoping that it would help with the fte but i guess not.....i gave up and decided to buy a new sti slide, barrel, novak sight (complete top end) no more malfunctions.....no more headache.......but i am still holding on to my pxt top end and hoping someday that there would be a fix to the problem...

here's what i found at 1911store.com:

Extractor, BCG - Pro Series Performance Tuned

On the Pro-Series Performance Tuned extractor, all bearing surfaces have been polished and radiused for proper fit. It has been pre-tensioned to where it should work in most guns although minor adjustment may be required in some cases. Available only for 9mm/38 Super/40 S&W.

Price: $40.00

that will probably solve your problem...

I'm waiting for a P-16 I got from Al Capizzo and if I'm not mistaken it has an aftec extractor in it and runs flawlessly from what I think he told me. Is it possible to build a good para? Yeah I think so, but you have to pretty much do anything you would do to an S_i to make it run right. When I practice I usually shoot about 350-500 rds, When I get a new gun some times twice that. I assure you when i get it next week, I'll let you know how it handled my torture test..

For those folks not aware of the PXT Paras, standard extractors do not fit these pistols. That's the central reliability issue that these Para owners are sour about, their pistols keep malfunctioning and the long term fixes are hit-or-miss.

If it were a matter of adding an Aftec, it wouldn't be much of a problem.

I know this stupid extractor is keeping me from buying a new para back-up gun. "Solutions" for non-existent problems is getting old quick. First Kimber, then Para :(

spoke to the guys at Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, they can fit a sleeve to the slide for a standard extractor! So, if you really want to cure the problem it can be done. :)

spoke to the guys at Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, they can fit a sleeve to the slide for a standard extractor! So, if you really want to cure the problem it can be done. :)

I'm hearing that the sleeve solution won't work with an Aftec, because of the way the Aftec needs to pivot and work with the firing pin stop. I'm sure there's 50 ways to sleeve the extractor channel though, so perhaps my information is just anecdotal. Even with that consideration I'm sure a lot of PXT owners would be happy with a traditional extractor that functioned 20,000 rounds between replacement.

I'm hearing that the sleeve solution won't work with an Aftec, because of the way the Aftec needs to pivot and work with the firing pin stop. I'm sure there's 50 ways to sleeve the extractor channel though, so perhaps my information is just anecdotal. Even with that consideration I'm sure a lot of PXT owners would be happy with a traditional extractor that functioned 20,000 rounds between replacement.

forget the Aftec, just use a standard tool steel extractor. :)