Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke It Again

ParaJoe

The first thing to go on the stock parts was the plastic guiderod. A big chunk of it went by-by half way through a match without me knowing but it still ran. This time it was the spring that connects the trigger bar to the trigger mechanism housing. I am running a Sotelo kit and he is sending me a new spring. I noticed the trigger was funny on my warm up drills today and then about 250 rounds later I went to unload and show clear and the trigger didn't reset. Odd. Tear it apart and this is what I found.

bustedglockpart.jpg

Uh oh. I'm really liking how my Glock takes its thrashings and keeps going.

Joe

I keep hearing (and seeing) more and more of those particular springs breaking.

I've only heard of a few Glock brand trigger springs breaking...and not too many first-hand reports.

I have seen these break...and hear about more and more of them....first-hand.

I understand they are the Wolff brand ??

I am guessing it's the spring, and not some smithing that Ralph does ? (no sharp edges?)

Flex,

I beleive it is just the spring as it broke on the plastic side not the metal trigger bar. I have no idea what brand they are or where they came from. I did not ask Ralph to divuldge any info, just asked how I would go about getting another, and he told (wrote) me to send him my addy and it would be on the way.

Joe

Flex,

I beleive it is just the spring as it broke on the plastic side not the metal trigger bar. I have no idea what brand they are or where they came from. I did not ask Ralph to divuldge any info, just asked how I would go about getting another, and he told (wrote) me to send him my addy and it would be on the way.

Joe

I've broken three of the Glockmeister competition trigger springs. I think this is the same spring most everybody is using on their trigger jobs. It's a dark gray extra power trigger spring.

My nice light sub 2 lbs trigger goes to like 8 lbs when it breaks but the gun still shoots and resets. Just have to be real delibrate to finish the stage.

The Glockmeister heavy spring breaks less than the Wolff heavy spring but they both break. Depends on how often you rack your slide & dryfire & shoot combined.

Glock doesn't make or sell that part. If they did they'd probably re-engineer the thing until it stopped breaking. But since they want you to have a 5lb+ pull, don't bet on them making the part. I think the spring's 90deg turns have a bad design.

If someone is good friends with Marc@ISMI that might be a good person to [beg] ask. Until then you could at least set aside a "match" spring for big matches.

I use Vanek Trigger kits (Tried the RS) in all of my Glock’s and I believe Charlie is using a Wolff trigger spring. I make it a point to carry spare springs when ever I am competing but having said that I have never had one break on me. It’s my belief that if you practice a little preventive maintenance by replacing the springs at X intervals (20k for me) then this issue would have a low probability of occurring.

Concur with ryucasta.After having the sme thing happen to me, posted here and got some replies and remedies.Then I got word from Ralph that he would replace spring(and more).

I believe that any mechanism that is tweaked to the maxium will fail more than a run of the mill mechanism.So the moral of the story is that if you tweak, have the parts backed-up so if it does fail you can replace it.By the way, am so happy with the RS kit that I have persuaded(too strong a phrase, maybe led by example) 7 more Glock shooters to try the Rs kit.Excellant after-service.Recommended.

I use Vanek Trigger kits (Tried the RS) in all of my Glock’s and I believe Charlie is using a Wolff trigger spring. I make it a point to carry spare springs when ever I am competing but having said that I have never had one break on me. It’s my belief that if you practice a little preventive maintenance by replacing the springs at X intervals (20k for me) then this issue would have a low probability of occurring.

I also carry extra things with me but not knowing what kind of spring that it is kinda hampers this. I agree with replacing springs at X intervals as I do this in my Para, but, how do I account for dry-firing? Is this included in your 20K intervals. If so, then mine was overdue. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Para,

The 20K number is a ballpark figure and yes it includes dry firing.

Well, then that time came and went. Looks like I might need to order some of the Wolff springs because I don't want to continue asking for replacements.

Joe

Use Glock springs.............................

I put the original back in on your statement and the trigger breaks at 2.5 pounds. It "feels" a little different but that might just be me. I'll keep it in there so I can shoot it until I get receive the replacement from Ralph. It will be send to the spare parts baggie on standby after the replacement comes in.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Mine broke today. Trigger felt slow to reset during the first stage, but I thought it might just be first stage jitters. Second stage, pulled trigger and the trigger didn't move. Racked it, round flew out, trigger didn't move. Slam, rack - no bang. Dropped the mag, racked it, and boom. Continued the COF -- after about 10 seconds of confused jackin around -- and it ran the rest of the way.

Suspected the trigger spring, as did every glock shooter in my squad. I had a G17 spare gun in my bag, set up the same way, and just switched the top of my 34 to the bottom of the 17. Ran fine the rest of the match.

Upon inspection, same break as ParaJoe's, except mine broke at end of the spring that attaches to the hole in the trigger bar as opposed to the housing end. Right where the sping makes a 90 degree turn. I use Ralph Sotelo's trigger. The spring was a Wolff extra power. I switched it out in April, and have about 7,000 live rounds through it and countless number of dry fire.

Are the regular power springs known to breack? Don't know the solution, other than to replace that spring more regularly. Been competing with glocks for 2 years, and this is my first broken part and first time my gun has jammed or otherwise not functioned. Cheers.

-brian reynolds

Freaking today at the Western PA match, I had this same thing happen!!!!!

At the load and make ready command, I always take a few dry-fire shots at my first target. I noticed that my trigger pull was rather heavy, and after 5 more resets, realized that my reset was not always resetting! Looking at the RO with "oh-crap" eyes, I explained that my pistol (G34) was malfunctioning. As was consistant with the rest of the PA staff, he was very accommodating and allowed me to instpect the issue. The picture at the top of this thread might as well been a picture of my problem.

The lesson to be learned from thjis entire incident is that one must always be prepaired! I was without my spare parts box, but Chris Keen, who today is my lord and savior, had a punch and the appropriate replacement part :rolleyes:

Thank you very much Chris! I will now and forever carry extra freakin' parts no matter where I go :D

Use Glock springs.............................

Or just keep spare parts. I run a RS also, and have had no problems whatsoever. That being said, I am ready just in case.

So much for always being prepared <_<

Edited by Pharoah Bender