Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Would Cause the Barrel Lug to Break?

Typically, that is caused by uneven impact of the barrel foot against the rear of the frame opening. It can, however, happen from a too-hard barrel or brittlenss caused by plating.

What to do? Ask for a new barrel, fitted at no charge. Let the barrel maker and the gunsmith argue it out.

Looks like a bad barrel fit to me. This can happen with ramped barrels and SS barrels. I only use barrels made by Fred Kart and have for over 20 years. I am still waiting for the first failure. Have whoever built it install a new barrel for you. It's bad work and a bad barrel so they should take care of you. I would also check with Wolff and see what the proper recoil spring weight is. I don't do .40's so I can't help you there. Good luck on getting it up and running again.

Edited by Dave Sample

Looks like timing. I had a SA 1911 do the same thing. Go read that Schuemann link above. Wil claims that if the barrel is hitting the frame early the lugs will shear within 5000 rounds. He was dead wrong, mine sheared in 5180 <_< .

Later,

Chuck

Possible problems...

Improperly milled frame (barrel failed instead of breaking link)

No radius behind ramp causing stress fracture

Improper heat treating

Either way, agree with Patrick. Your gunsmith owes you although I don't know that I'd trust the work again.

Is the frame cut for a Wilson/Nowlin ramp or Para/Clark ramp? If its cut for the Wilson/Nowlin......theres your answer. I've seen a few times where smiths would fit up the Para/Clark ramped barrels into the Wilson/Nowlin cut frame and they would work fine for a couple thousand rounds and the same thin happened that happened to yours.

Ask me how I know. Can you post a pic of the top view of the frame where the barrel lug would lock up?

Edited by 00bullitt

00bullitt ,

As an experiment, I converted a Clark/Para barrel lug into a Nowlin style barrel lug to see if it would last. It lasted forever which leads me to believe that, if the timing and fit is correct, either lug style can last indefinintely.

Cannot fit a clark barrel into a nowlin cut frame w/o cutting the barrel lugs .100 . This barrel lug is still a clark cut. You can see a dark area on the lug, this is where it was cracked for awhile before breaking.

That's exactly what I did ... I cut off the rounded part of the Clark lug and made it match the dimensions of a Nowlin lug barrel. It lasted until the barrel was shot out (years).

All things considered, Timing is off.

Ivan

that gets my vote as well. In lockup, a properly fitted 1911 barrel has contact at the upper lugs against the slide and the two lower feet rest "just right" on the cross pin. No play, but no stress either.

If it's fiitted wrong, the slide stop pin will be stressing the lower feet each time it goes into battery. Don't know if that's what happened here, but barrels sure as hell are not supposed to fail after 15k rounds.

ADD: I doubt if you did this, but lower barrel lug fractures are common in 1911's which are "slide dropped on empty" from lockback repeatedly and regularly. That also stresses the lower lugs.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks everyone for your help!

Just to update, KKM said to test the Rockwell hardness, 40 to 42 is the magic number. I don't have a way to test it. The gunsmith who built the gun has moved out of state. So I'm just going to send it out and have a new barrel fitted.

Benny, please check your inbox! Email in route!

The barrel went south when the shot was fired. That means it was standing on the link and slide stop pin. There was too much pressure on the pin and that is why it failed. it was an improper fit. Period. It was probably a barrel that was stainless steel and not properly heat treated. It just couldn't take it. Let someone who knows how to fit barrels install a Quality Barrel in it.

You can change frame cuts if you know what you are doing. Claudio Salass did one for me 15 years ago and it still works great. he wanted me to try a New (At that time) Barrel in a .38 Super I was building from extra parts. Then his company sent my gun to a guy who ordered a pair of binoculars, and sent me the binocs! Thank goodness he was honest! We made the switch and created the Red Eye Special. I still have the letter he wrote me about my checkering on that one.

A friend of mine had a gun where the lower lugs were cut wrong on a Nowlin bbl. This led to two slide stops shearing. Similar problem but not the same.

He "fixed" it by taking it to a reputable 'smith (APG member) who identified the problem in about 15 seconds. He welded the lugs, recut them and welded the hood like they did in the old days with bullseye guns and refit the bbl.

It shoots now and he hasn't broken a slide stop.

Could a loose link pin cause the lugs to shear?

A loose link pin? I really don't know. My guns are tight everywhere and have been for a very long time. I don't do much factory gun tweaking so I can't help much on sloppy fits. My slide stops are .200 in diameter and I use Kart Barrels, with his links and pins. They are hard to smack out, too! I don't think it would matter much because all the link does is pull the barrel down to the barrel bed while it feeds. Then the recoil spring takes over and locks it up.

• 6 years later...
You can, the smith that built my gin did that. 5k rounds in or so the barrel cracked. There was no radius where he made the cut and that is probably what caused it to crack. I would just buy a W/N barrel and sell your clark barrel

Hey paul, sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean there was no radius in the cut? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

this is my old barrel, note the crack it starts where the cut should have had a radius:

20121209_163725.jpg

This is the new barrel, it is not a great pic but look at the same area and not how the cut is rounded.

20121213_122846.jpg

This is mine, my gunsmith made a radius to the cut

arebe2aj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

post-44954-13571226508_thumb.jpg

Edited by bonglee0507