Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunday Prize Tables

ExtremeShot

This is my second year of shooting IPSC so I've still got a lot to learn and experience.

With that said, it's my understanding a person may have an opportunity to go through the prize table, even if they didn't score in the top positions. Due to this, I know there are some people that choose to shoot matches on Sunday so they can be there for the opportunity to get a prize. I also understand that you can have someone pick up a prize for you if you are not able to attend.

So my question is, how fair do you think this system is, especially to the people that don't shoot on Sunday? Do the people that shoot on Sunday end up taking home the majority of the prizes?

Thanks,

DM

Most matches have most shooters shooting almost right up until the prize table time (ie: most matches almost everybody shoots Sunday). The matches that don't usually have some sort of prize-collector-assignment system where somebody can pick for you.

So if you can't attend yourself and you don't have any close buddies there, you basically have to find a stranger that is willing to get your prize for you and then hope that he doesn't swap the slide you won for the spring that he won? Is that how it works? :)

DM

Most matches have most shooters shooting almost right up until the prize table time (ie: most matches almost everybody shoots Sunday). The matches that don't usually have some sort of prize-collector-assignment system where somebody can pick for you.

Yeah, pretty much. That's why you pick somebody that finished above you ;)

Actually after a while you'll discover it's about impossible to go to a match where there's nobody you know... and if you do, the MD may well be able to help you out. Make a little list of what you shoot and what you want so you don't end up with 5000 bullets in the wrong size or whatever.

I was told once that "Fair doesn't mean equal"

+1 on Shred's advice for handling the prize table if you can't be present.

However on the other hand everyone has the same opportunity to be present. Simply because at times it doesn't work out for an individual due to THEIR OWN constraints. I don't see how "unfairness" can be pushed on the Match organizers.

Most match director's will bend over backwards to help a competitor but please don't approach them with your list of prize table wants. Lord knows they have plenty to worry about that weekend already.

I've never seen a match with a suprise prize table so you know where you have to be and when if you want a chance at a prize table. If you opt to shoot all day on Saturday to save yourself the hotel fee for shooting half Sat. and half Sun., etc. then you're making the decision to forfeit your prize table trip in favor of saving $100 on hotel bills.

I am shooting or have shot 7 or 8 matches this year where I have to travel more than 400 miles. Four of the matches I have flown too. More than likely it is a vacation conflict or travel time that will make us miss that prize table. I will spend around 5 grand this year on travel. Do you think that 100 dollars saving on the hotel will make me miss your prize table? You put on a great match and we enjoyed ourselves. If we had to leave before the prize table do you think we would have liked for you to pick the next best prize and send it to us? Of course we would. It would also promote another visit to your next match. Do I shoot for the prizes. NO.. but it is a nice way to remember the event. I have also seen some of the trophys that have been given on some of these matches. Did all of the trophy places close shop. Some of them are pretty cheesy. You could do away with the prize table if the match fees went down. I really do come for the shooting. Look at Area 2 do you think people paid that huge match fee for a trophy? This match was sold out long ago. Heck why can't the shooters at every match come up with an extra 5 dollars to donate to the local Boy Scouts or ROTC group and have them tape and set steel for us every big match? What a could be a better way for a fundraiser for these groups.

I am shooting or have shot 7 or 8 matches this year where I have to travel more than 400 miles. Four of the matches I have flown too. More than likely it is a vacation conflict or travel time that will make us miss that prize table. I will spend around 5 grand this year on travel. Do you think that 100 dollars saving on the hotel will make me miss your prize table? You put on a great match and we enjoyed ourselves. If we had to leave before the prize table do you think we would have liked for you to pick the next best prize and send it to us? Of course we would. It would also promote another visit to your next match. Do I shoot for the prizes. NO.. but it is a nice way to remember the event. I have also seen some of the trophys that have been given on some of these matches. Did all of the trophy places close shop. Some of them are pretty cheesy. You could do away with the prize table if the match fees went down. I really do come for the shooting. Look at Area 2 do you think people paid that huge match fee for a trophy? This match was sold out long ago. Heck why can't the shooters at every match come up with an extra 5 dollars to donate to the local Boy Scouts or ROTC group and have them tape and set steel for us every big match? What a could be a better way for a fundraiser for these groups.

I really like the idea of Boy Scouts or ROTC to tape and set steel. Would shooters mind that a match cost an extra $5 (sectional or above) if they didn't have to paste and resent and could just focus on shooting, cleaning dropped mags, and preping for the next stage?

The Carter Martin match used to do that, and it was great, but there are problems with kids being exposed to lead, noise and liability and such that makes organization leaders very skittish about having volunteers near shooting.

Were I MD at a big match, I'd set it up so the volunteers got a minimum guaranteed pay, then ask shooters to tip as they see fit. I bet they'd rake in the cash doing that.

The Carter Martin match used to do that, and it was great, but there are problems with kids being exposed to lead, noise and liability and such that makes organization leaders very skittish about having volunteers near shooting.

Were I MD at a big match, I'd set it up so the volunteers got a minimum guaranteed pay, then ask shooters to tip as they see fit. I bet they'd rake in the cash doing that.

Another good idea. I was actually thinking of the ROTC from the local college(s). They (or the program) get some $$ and shooters have less work. Plus, and I could be wrong, ROTC people shouldn't have a problem with guns or gun safety. :D

Another source of help is to check with the local junior shooting program. Sometimes they are willing to help out in return for much needed money for their program. Another plus is that you will expose them to the sport and maybe gain some junior shooters and maybe even their parents.

At one match a couple of the kids where picking up live ammo and empties and filling their pockets with them. When they got on the bus to leave the adults found out about it. They marched them off the bus and had them empty their pockets. Some parents can get alittle bent out of shape with little Joey coming home souveniers from the days work.

Rich

As far as match entry fees going up to cover the prize table. They don't necessarilly have to. We had almost $100K donated (not purchased) at Area 1 this year. We bough very little and only at the last minute with some extra money that we didn't expect due to the large number of entries. Price was the same as 05 w/o table.

We also used a couple of Explorers to help on the stages. Did not get a great response though. At our local club matches we have a group of kids, some shoot, some don't that do tear down at two of the three clubs. For an extra $2.00 a shooter you don't have to worry about tearing down your last stage. Makes it nice and nobody has to feel like they are shooting and scooting.

At Area 1, was it a random draw for prizes or order of finish. I f someone was not their did they pick the next best prize to send it to them. At Area 8 last year they did a double blind draw and when you registered you got your prize so you did not have to wait till Sunday.

I became intrigued with this thread......because it had all the elements of, "why are we doing this, and what do we get out of it?" I was drawn into IPSC by the famous Mr. Carmoney, and asked to shoot the Summer Blast. I even got my Son-in-law to do the same. Now he works (read paycheck) & I'm retired. I buy 625 Revo and all the other requisites except for holster and clip holders which Mike Carmoney lent me. I join USPSA, pay the Match fee and that blows another $100. I've bought 4,000 rounds of .45 ACP. I shoot first local match on May 14th (Mothers Day) under tutelege of Dennis Smith. Okay, I'm now infected with the sport and going broke doing it.

I never wanted to ask Dennis how he managed to get around to all these Matches because I'm buying gasoline out the Wazoo just to drive to a Match, and I"ve Never, Ever seen a prize table. I'm 63, shooting REVOLVER, going broke doing it and never expect to win anything.......didn't even know there was something to win, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Yes, I'm "D" class and the top of the ladder is almost out of sight. For now, I go into every match hoping: Not to finish last. Not just in Revolver, but in the Match. Not to DQ. To improve each time. To have fun. To UP the Revolver numbers.. To be alive at the end of the Match.

And Dennis, to beat a certain Lady named Echo. Yeah.......I still have ego and hate to be wupped by a Lady.

But........now I know about prize tables. I'm going to carry Dennis' bags, shoot more matches, and probably be found with my cold clenched fingers around the leg of the first Prize Table I ever see. When do I get a prize? :unsure:

I really don't like the "must be present to win" type of thing. I think the best way of doing this is like many matches did. Draw random prizes by competitor number and such and they are handed out at registration. Though this is not as sponsor promoting i feel it is the most fair to competitors. ... we need announcments thanking the sponsors though.

RO drawings are a different thing entirely though.

All that said i was absent from one match and won an XD where it was passed to the next person because i was in bed sick. and then this year won an XD by giving a friend the ticket since i couldn't be there.

Personally, I don't shoot for prizes!!

I shoot for the fun of it and the good company at all matches.

At the 04 Nationals I went home on Friday night and never even thought about Prize Tables.

I have won some good prizes at several matches, but this is not the incentive for me to shoot a particular event.

I have known several shooters that go to specific events just for the plentyfull Prize Tables, nothing else.

I've never done that, and I know I never will.

Y