Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para -ordinance mag springs

matts

I am now using a para p-16-40 for ipsc shooting and I am having problems with the high cap mags since I added extended basepads. I have heard from leuage members that IMSI or wolf springs help to insure better feeding.  Also is it recomended to use modified followers from Dawson or Wolf insted of factory followers. It hurts my score when my Para has feeding problems. Any input on this gun?

Funny, there are several shooters here with P-16 .40's in various states of custom tune, that swear by Para tubes, Para followers, Para springs (easy to recognize because of "square" bends rather than round) and Dawson basepads which give them a reliable 21+1.   Some load around 1.155 and some load closer to 1.200 but the mags/guns work.   Interesting.

Matt,

I know where you're coming from.  When I first got my Para 16-40 everyone told me that the way to go was Para tubes, Dawson Basepads, Wolf springs, and Arredondo followers.  That combo may work for some people but I promise you it wouldn't work for me.  Trying new combinations gets a little expensive when you're talking about five or six high-caps and I tried a lot of them.  I finally settled on the Para Spring (PO490001), Follower, and tube combo with Dawson pads.  You will want to smooth the contact surfaces of the follower a bit with some 600-800 grit sandpaper when you first get them.  On mine, I just barely radiused the corners and smoothed the flat surfaces on the front and back.  I've run about 2k rounds per mag on five mags since I found this combo without a failure to feed.  

Most of my experience has been with a P14 and that was when they were new so it's been awhile. The springs on my original mags were crap, they were very soft. Maybe Para has improved their springs but I still think you can't beat Wolf. I also used the stock follower cleaned up and Para tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried several springs on my P16. Settled on ISMI springs with grams pads. Never had anymore trouble. Followed the advice of my gunsmith after I tried everything else.  Wish I had listened the first time. Would have saved some cash.

Mike

Matts,

I recently purchased a P16 Ltd and I have 4 hi caps for it with various combinations of basepads/springs/followers.  I've put approx 1000 rounds through the pistol.

Fortunately, all the mags feed 100%.  My only trouble is with two mags that have Arredondo basepads and Arredondo springs:  the slide locks back with one round still in the mag.   I can stuff 18 rounds of 40 in these mags and this is the only issue I've had.  

My favorite mags have a Dawson basepad with a Para stock spring and a Arredondo follower.  This set up lets me get 21 rounds in the mag.

For my loads, I use a short OAL of 1.125 (this is my same load/OAL I use for my Glock 35) with 180 grain Ranier flat nose.  I've read posts that state Para's need longer OAL for reliablity, but mines been 100% with these short loads.  

BTW - I also had a Grams basepad, but it cracked when I droped in on the floor of an indoor shooting range.

Good luck!

ISMI mag spring's will last 3 times longer than any other. they also do not lose their height or pressure. put a wolff in a mag, load it up, leave it a few day's & ck. spring pressure on a spring scale. then try a ISMI and you will see why they are the best.

• 1 month later...

OK I've been shooting a P16-40 for two years now I can tell you First if you shoot indoors dont use Grames they are great but cannot handle the hard floors Get the Dawson +5 get in 21.Second use a wolff spring cant beat em if you try.Third factory followers get new or keep the old. simple not broke dont fix it

GO  FAST  SHOOT A'S

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shooting P-14's for a while now... done a lot of experimenting.with springs followers....base pads....the best combinnations I have come up with are properly sized ISMI springs with either Gramms or Dawson Base PAds...you have to be careful using the Gramms with pin on magwells ...fit will be very tight....you can make out better using an S&A that requires the frame to be trimmed .020 or an older guncraft weld on ....both well opened up....if you try to trim your gramms pads to get clearence you will wind up having them crack.....are far as followers use either Gramms or Dawsons....

Good Luck... ;)