Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Wrong With Springfield's Stainless?

Malak

Does anyone know what type of stainless Springfield uses in the 1911's?

I see more used stainless Springfields come through my shop with all kinds of rust, than any other pistol. Now it is not deep, picken off flakes with your fingernail rust, but definite surface rust and staining?

Being a pawnshop/gunshop I know alot of the guns that come through are not well taken care of, but it still seems like Springers rust up real quickly. I have even has some brand spanking new ones show some surface rust. They are the only new gun that ever shows it. Anyways, I don't carry new Springfields anymore, so the only new ones I see are custom orders. We moved to Kimber.

Reason for the rant: I just spent half my day basically refinishing a stainless single stack 6inch springer with that V-16 comp barrel, that had all kinds of rust.

Edited by Malak

Stainless steel has carbon as part of it's chemistry. Some more than others.

Even low carbon SS, like 316L, still has a bit of carbon. Chromium is the element that helps SS avoid rust. Chromium forms what is called a "passive film" on the surface. When this film is scratched it quickly forms a new layer. Salt water/sweat breaks this film down too fast for it to repair itself before it starts to rust.

There are three basic types of SS. Within those three are many grades. Some are heat treatable some are not.

Edited by Joe D

I found out a long time ago that stainless does not mean rustproof. I've seen quite a few stainless guns rust, pit (it looked like pitting anyway) and just plain turn ugly over time. A Joe D points out there are many types of stainless and I am sure that some are much better than others but I doubt if any of them are completely impervious to rust. All that being said; lets see some pics of your refinishing job!

-ld

I had a stainless Springfield come out of the box with little rust spots here and there, mostly on the matte slide top. FLD would have sent it back but I kept it and cleaned it up. Good thing, they discontinued the model soon after, so it was freckles or no gun.

It is not the carbon content that makes some grades of stainless subject to rust, it is the lower percentage of chromium in the free-machining grades commonly used in guns. The usual firearms stainless is Type 416 which contains only 0.15% carbon and 12-14% chromium. Where corrosion resistance is more important than machinability, the chromium content is higher, usually around 18% and some nickel, up to 8%.

Krieger will make you a barrel out of Type 410 stainless which is stronger than 416 but is less machinable, so the cost is higher.

Who knows what kind of stainless they make in Brazil?

Edited by Jim Watson

Rusted slides beat the alternative: soft slides. I'll take the rust pits all day long over slide stop notches that roll over and slides that shoot loose before their time.

A little Flitz or Wenol will take the rust pits right off.

by request, here are some pics of the pistol. Removed rust and most of the scratches and a whole lotta dried up oil. I also recut the front strap checkering; it looked like some took a ball peen hammer the checkering, but now its nice straight again.

single stack six inch bull barrel 45acp with porting? can this be used for anything?

post-8630-1156013407.jpg

post-8630-1156013427.jpg

post-8630-1156013444.jpg

by request, here are some pics of the pistol. Removed rust and most of the scratches and a whole lotta dried up oil. I also recut the front strap checkering; it looked like some took a ball peen hammer the checkering, but now its nice straight again.

single stack six inch bull barrel 45acp with porting? can this be used for anything?

Limited 10 gun------Larry---Oops didnt see the porting. Pretty useless for a game gun.------Larry

Edited by lkytx

Limited 10 gun------Larry

How about a nice retro SS Open gun.... ;)

And nice job on the checkering, Malak....

Edited by Merlin Orr

Nice, IIRC Springfield did away with those 45 Super guns about 5 years ago. Drop in a non ported barrel, change the recoil springs, and you have a 6" Skinny Lim 10 gun. Someone in the past probably did take a hammer to the nice factory checkering after it grated their fingers with a hot 45 Super load and a loose hand hold.

If I had some loose change around, I wouldn't mind having one of those... ;)

Edited by Middle Man

Its not 45super, although the slide says 'V-16 45 SUPER', the chamber is clearly marked 45acp. Blue Book said that you could get it chambered either way from the factory, this one is the milder ACP version. I assume that the slides all say SUPER regardless of it being one or not

In it's ported form the only thing I can think of would be shooting Bowling Pins which does seem popular anymore. To many rounds were coming back to hit people.

I was just going to say pin gun when I saw that Gary had beat me to it. From your description of the situation before you worked on this it looks like you did a nice job of dressing this one up.

I agree with the other posters; a non ported barrel and a nice big magwell would make this one into a fun L10 gun. Maybe get some more slide cuts to save weight and you would be all set.

-ld

Its not 45super, although the slide says 'V-16 45 SUPER', the chamber is clearly marked 45acp. Blue Book said that you could get it chambered either way from the factory, this one is the milder ACP version. I assume that the slides all say SUPER regardless of it being one or not

The .45Super has exactly the same case dims as 45ACP.

If you send Springfield an email with the gun's serial number, they can tell you when it was made. I'd tell them how many of their stainless guns arrive with rust, they might not be aware of it or may think it was a fluke if someone did complain in the past.