Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Nufinish On Brass

howie1947

Well I am back for some more stupid questions. I read where some use it straight and some mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits. I just bought a bottle to try no mineral spirits handy so I tried it straight. Not sure how much to use so I tried three caps full, tumble for about 15 mins. seemed to want to clump so I went ahead and added 500 piece of brass looks good and shinny. How much do you all add to a tumbler and would it be better to mix mineral spirits. The tumbler is advertised as holding 1000 9mm.

I first bought the walnut lizard litter form the pet store works good as a cleaner.

I found a place to buy 50 lb bags of corncob so what to use it to polish with. Darn shipping cost more the the bag of media. :wacko:

Thanks Howie

I use about 1/2 fluid oz of Nufinish in a 1 gallon size cleaner with corncob. Works pretty well. What I've recently learned is that even this will "dust up" fairly fast leaving the cases with a dust coating and creating a toxic (lead) dust cloud to breathe when sifting - an excellent fix is to mix up a 50:50 solution of vinegar and water, and add about one fl oz per run. This greatly reduces the dust AND produces dust free, very shiney brass. :D I don't know that the polish makes sizing any easier - I always lightly lube them prior to feeding the 550.

I use the Mineral Spirits in the walnut to help remove the magic marker people like to put on so they know which brass is theirs. The NuFinish goes in the corncob. I just squirt a circles worth before adding the brass.

Merlin not sure but I have only had time to do 500 using straight nufinish they are nice and shinny and smooth. I then used my single stage press and deprimed and resize with no lube runs smooth as silk. Using a carbide die.

My main concern was when I added straight nufinish it clumped up wasn't sure if this was a big deal or not thought maybe mineral spirits would thin it and mix better,

I am still in the learning process I ordered a 50lb bag of 20/40 corncob this is really fine maybe should of went to the next course grade up will wait and see. Oh and the cost was only $18.00 but the shipping matched that. :wacko:

Thanks everyone for the help and I sure more duh questions to come.

Merlin not sure but I have only had time to do 500 using straight nufinish they are nice and shinny and smooth. I then used my single stage press and deprimed and resize with no lube runs smooth as silk. Using a carbide die.

My main concern was when I added straight nufinish it clumped up wasn't sure if this was a big deal or not thought maybe mineral spirits would thin it and mix better,

I am still in the learning process I ordered a 50lb bag of 20/40 corncob this is really fine maybe should of went to the next course grade up will wait and see. Oh and the cost was only $18.00 but the shipping matched that. :wacko:

Thanks everyone for the help and I sure more duh questions to come.

Howie, I've been using NuFinish for awhile now. I used it straight but it clumped up the media. It still works straight, but you have to let your tumbler run about twenty minutes or so before putting in the brass. This allows it time to mix and get out the clumps. I now use it mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits and can introduce the cases immediately without having a clumpy mess in the cases. The Stuff really works well.

Bronson7

Straight NuFinish will make the cases look shiney but even with a drier sheet there is some sort of residue on the cases. I put 500 through a 550B last night and the hand I hold the brass in was pretty dirty when I got through.

I am using th NuFinish/mineral spirits mix and I love it. I add just enough mineral spirits to make the mixture easily poured and have not had any problems with it at all. My brass comes out looking almost brand new. BTW, I am using corn cob media as my brass isn't dirty enough for me to use walnut hulls to scrub first.

For those of you who want a large quantity of corn cob and don't have access to a feed store you might try Berry's Mfg. They offer a 50 pound bag for $21.99 SHIPPED, this is 14/20 grit. Product number is #294-256 and it is on page 12 of their 2006 master catalog although it is not listed on their web site. Berry's Mfg web site 1-800-269-7373

The thing that cracks me up about the prices from Berry's is that a 6 pound bag is $18.99, 20 pound in a 5 gallon bucket is $16.99 and a 50 pound bag is $21.99 (all prices include shipping).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey LPatterson, I wear latex gloves when I reload so I don't get the brass on the right hand and the lead on the left hand. Reloading on the 550.

I'm using just straight Nu Finish. I do mark my brass circumferentially, like the Hosercam striper, so adding mineral spirits sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that.