Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being A Victim Of B&e. Stolen Gun Alert. Updated!

Kyreb

Got the call this AM just after I sat down at my desk. Our intruder alarm going off at the house.

Drove home and found the back bedroom window smashed out of the house. They got through the downstairs pretty well before the tripped the motion sensor heading upstairs.

Cops just left.

So far I know they stole a Glock 34 and my 35MM camera.

The camera was no big deal but that Glock was sweet. Just picked it up at the Reliant show last January. Probably had no more than 30 rounds through it. OD green frame too. I had brought it in from my car last weekend, got distracted, and did not put it in the safe.

Damn. damn, damn..I am mad as hell! I am mad at myself as well as those damn crackhead sons of b!tches hanging around the dump apartments that ring this nieghborhood. Thank you Katrina, FEMA and Mayor White!

I am also concerned the bastages got a real good look at my gun safe. I had six empty long gun cases downstairs from my move that they rummaged through too. Now I got nieghborhood gang banger crack heads that know there is a safe full of guns to be had here. We are probably at the top of their list for a home invasion now......

Edited by Kyreb

I am with XRe, could be you could use them to practice the El Prez...only from low ready...lol

Really sorry about your loss..as a former Houston resident for a long time...I had one break in in 74, shot the guy in the shoulder and it was a nightmare...he tried to sue me..should have killed him but did not..then 10 yrs later went to Colorado on vacation and they broke in again and torched my gun chests open in the attic..stole 29 long guns and 41 handguns..cops said they were in the house at least 24 hours..they thawed out my steaks and ate them in the kitchen...damn...know what you are going thru...

Keep your chin up, your pistol in condition one and your vault locked...

Just got back from cleaning up all the glass. The adrenilin rush is subsiding too.

It made a heck of a mess. They threw a 6 X 6 paver stone through my window. I have a couple outdoor speakers sitting on them to keep the speakers off the ground.

I'll tell you what, I hate losing the Glock, but it could have been worse. Thank God they waited until Mrs.Kyreb left. She probably was not out of sight before the bastards smashed in.

Also, I have pretty much outgrown my safe, I had about a half dozen other guns stached around. Four are deliberate self defense pieces hidden but asscessable from about anywhere in the house. But I had a CMP Garand and a Rem 700 30-06 in a closet of the room where they grabbed the camera and Glock. I do not know if they did not see them or they could not hide long guns while they ran off down the street.

Mrs. Kyreb saw a scumbag watching her leave this morning. Also some neighbors got a good look at them climbing back over my fence. ( He dropped my Bianchi 007 holster as he jumped over) . The cops got a good description. They are a couple of the better known thieves, banger crackheads at one of the several nearby slum apartments.

I am waiting around for the window repair guy now. Sitting here typing away looking out my smashed window. I did strap on a G17 and a couple mags full of hydrashocks. I know it its like locking the barn door after the horse has ran off...but somehow it feels good right about now. Maybe just my security blankey......

Get a bigger vault or another one to accomodate all your stuff...

Get a very noisy burgler alarm...

Get a big and mean dog...

Get burgler bars on the windows and doors...

Get the Mrs. her CHL and teach her to shoot...

Look into a better neighborhood...

Vary your routine leaving and coming back to home...

Get the wife to vary her routine...

Form a neighborhood watch committee...

Become good friends with the police, constables that patrol your neighborhood...

Wait a month and then send the Mrs. away for the night..load the Shotgun, your carry piece and after putting your vehicle where noone can see it, sit in the darkness and get those bastards... :P

Just my two cents worth...

Wife and I just completed TX CHL course over the 4th of July weekend. You have to be a resident of TX for 6 months minimum before you can apply. Now we are waiting the 12 stinking weeks to actually get through the background check, processing and receive our CHLs. We cannot legally carry until then.

Wife had just really got back into shooting with me to get ready for the CHL qualification. (I posted about this recently). She really started getting into it. Had one of my G17s talking. She picked up my copy of Cooper's Principles of Self Defense and read it straight through.

She just came home for lunch to check out the damage. 1st thing she said was "We are going to the range tomorrow!"

Thats my girl!!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've had six or seven stolen myself. Years ago one of the local shooting club board members built a gun safe himself in his garage. I was told he did a good job too. The problem was if you have the tools to make one you have the tools to open one. And open it the crooks did with his own tools. They also took his computer with the list of names and addresses of the members of the shooting club! Don't think they could open the file because they were no other thefts attributed to the list, but it is something to think about.

Wife and I just completed TX CHL course over the 4th of July weekend. You have to be a resident of TX for 6 months minimum before you can apply. Now we are waiting the 12 stinking weeks to actually get through the background check, processing and receive our CHLs. We cannot legally carry until then.

That sucks, and I feel your pain. I did want to mention, however, that the 6 month residency requirement in the state has been superceded by new law. Once you have established residence, you may apply immediately. ( I was here 30+ days and started my process )

Good luck on going out to the range and blowing off some steam. I hope they catch those #$$ that did it, too.

Edited by cnemikeman

I know you want to get it off your chest, but I wouldnt announce where you keep your defense guns, and which room or closet which guns are stored in. Not just here, but not anywhere. Sometimes silence is golden.

I know it's easy to vent, and we are all pretty much friends here, but you never know. Crooks can be smarter than we often give them credit for. Especially now that seemingly everybody has internet access.

Anyways, I know how you feel, but don't let the criminals make you move. Just be a little wiser and smarter about certain things.

But most of all ..................... GET AN ALARM SYSTEM! B)

I think Kyreb mentioned already having an alarm in the first post. It may need to be extended to live coverage of the lower levels since they were pretty much at their leisure until tripping the upper-level motion detector. A monitored system could be a good move if you can find a reliable service to do the monitoring/dispatch.

I'm also with TL on the big, mean, loud dog approach. If it's not too much of a problem in your life/lifestyle, nothin' says lovin' like a big pair of slobbering teeth about to hit an intruder in the ass. Even the dumbest theives seem to understand how difficult it is to intimidate or negotiate with a dog who's about to get knee-deep in their shit.

Edited by ima45dv8

Subject: How to install an inexpensive home security system

Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.

Place them on your front porch, along with a

copy of Guns and Ammo and your NRA magazines.

Put a giant dog dish next to the boots and Magazines

Leave a note on your door that reads;"Hey Bubba -Big Mike, Slim ,Tiny and I went for more ammunition. Back in an hour.

Don't mess with the pit bulls. They attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up pretty bad. I don't think Killer took part in it but I locked all four of them in the house.

Better wait outside"

What Chris Keen and Merlin said.

What SiG Lady sez: Move outa the neighborhood. Now. Your life will never be the same from now on anyway if you stay. Relocating is cheap insurance against further trauma, further loss and further residual stress.

My warmest sympathies to you both, meanwhile.

Update! This is unfrickin' believable!

A little background to set the stage........

At the January funshow at Reliant I sold off a couple safe queens and came home with two Glocks. A G17 and this G34 both with OD frames. Mrs.KyReb looked them over and really liked the feel of the G34. We joked at the time that it was to become "her" gun.

This had no real meaning until the shit started hitting the fan around here. (NOLA evacuees) Since then, she has really gotten serious about shooting and self defense. We both took our CHL's over the 4th weekend, she is reading my Jeff Cooper books, shooting regularly...you name it! She is darn near as obsessed as I am with the gun hobby now. (I have posted this stuff here previously)

So...Saturday morning I am still stomping around, still mad as hell that we had been robbed and that through my negligance one of my guns was on the street. I was fuming about the G34 this...the G34 that.... Then this conversation takes place...

WIFE: I am sorry about the "G34" but I am sure glad they did not get MY Glock.

Me: What????

Wife: Yeah, I saw it sitting in its case in the computer room. I decided to go over the manual again and brought it upstairs the other night.

Yeah...upstairs where perp never got because he tripped the motion detector and ran off. Upstairs under the bed where she had stowed the manual back in the case with the gun before she went to sleep. Upstairs right where the G34 was still nestled in its case and NOT Stolen! :D:D:D

So...wife never made the connection that "stolen G34" I was talking about was HER Glock.

Tomorrow I am calling HPD to correct the report. Looks like the only thing the perps got was a 10 year old 35MM camera. Otherwise, we are just out a couple hundred bucks to repair the broken window and screen.

So we have decided this was a cheap lesson. We found the holes in our security system and we are addressing them now. Futhermore...there will be no lax attitude about proper firearm storage. With the exception of defense pieces, everything else stays in the safe ...period.

Edited by Kyreb

Thats great to hear about the G34 but I sure wish you could have gotten some "live moving target" practice at the expense of your crackhead thugs. Im sure you would do the city and state a good job just like all gun owners usually do!!!!

As bad as it might sound, you might consider an outdoor storage place to put your safe for a while. I know it is a PIA but it might add some extra piece of mind.

Once the buggers spot the safe, they will either use the information to come back later or tell someone else about it.

A couple years ago I had a break in to my detached garage. He came in via the window, drank some booze from the refer, stole my wife bike and some tools but never saw the gun safe. It was behind a bunch of bins. But I was worried for months that he would come back. I ended up putting a heavy wire safety screen on the inside of the window. I feel your pain. It is crappy to have someone violate your home.