Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miami Vice

Anybody seen Miami Vice yet? I saw it last night and it made me want to kick Colin Farrell in the n*ts. I can't believe I paid 8.50 to watch it, stayed up till 1am AND finished the whole dang thing. There were only two things in there that made it worth watching. The girl who shot the guy in the head and the gun fight scene in the end. Oh and yeah, the Ferrari. B)

Edited by Athena

I saw it Saturday. Jamie Foxx was GREAT! The Ricardo Tubbs that Phillip Michael Thomas should've been. The boats and the cars were awesome! I personally would've preferred a Hispanic Castillo, left still waiting for Edward James Olmos to show up.

The final gunfight was good. However, why didn't the Miami PD snipers take more of the bad guys? The Spanish of the Oriental girl was bad, but she's sexy so I forgive her. It's going to be very tough for Michael Mann to outdo himself after the HEAT firefight, but the final one in Miami Vice wasn't bad.

COLLIN FARRELL SUCKS!

Remakes are rarely as good as the original. As bad as some of the original scripts were (and there were not a lot of words in them) the TV series was at least stylish and imaginative.

Collateral was a much better movie than MV is turning out to be.

I'm still debating whether to see the next Pirates movie or Obsession. One will entertain me for a couple of hours and the other one will just depress me no end. But at least the theatre is air-conditioned :D

Collateral was a much better movie than MV is turning out to be.

Agree!

I'm still debating whether to see the next Pirates movie or Obsession. One will entertain me for a couple of hours and the other one will just depress me no end. But at least the theatre is air-conditioned :D

Go see Pirates!

:)

Edited to ask: Who do you think would've played a good Sonny Crocket?

Edited by Nemo

You can say that again about Steve McQueen.

It seems like too many actors and film makers today try so hard to be cool. They make money, but I think they suck. McQueen didn't have to try to be cool in The Getaway, he simply was cool.

Neither did Newman in Cool Hand Luke, or Redford in Jerimiah Johnson.

How about Matthew McConaughey? I think he woud've been a much better Sonny than Farrel. Also, although he would've looked like a rookie next to Jamie, I think even Mark Whalberg would've been better than Farrel. He did have a cool hoodlum look in Four Brothers.

Bottomline, anybody but monotonous Collin. :angry:

Well, believe what you want to...but saw a pic of him in People Magazine eating an ear of corn at some park...and he had a severe case of the Dun Lops and really looked old and out of shape...He really was the big hog at the trough in that pic.

I loved him as Crockett and his alligator, Elvis on the TV show, especially loved the music..can't hear In the Air Tonight without thinking about that show..but I think his days of being Sonny Crockett are past him..Now the show with Cheech Marin was good and he was good in it..Loved that Cuda..

I hated that ANYONE would ever remake Miami Vice. MV was a TV show that defined an era!

It was the first show to use contemporary music to set the mood. Jan Hammer filled in the rest brilliantly. The origional and still the best show had don johnson who was incredible in that role it fit him very well ( and he is way over the hill now his last series was a total flop, something about him being a lawyer)

Miami Vice had everyone imitating the show the pastel colors hair styles that show WAS the 80's that's what's so great about the show you can watch it and it just takes us back in time. The dynamic that made that show great is not something you can reproduce, this in my opinion (and i haven't seen the movie) will just serve to be a debachary to the dynasty that was Miami Vice.

ok an old fan of the series but that's my take on it. just the commercials made me sick.

I hated that ANYONE would ever remake Miami Vice. MV was a TV show that defined an era!

It was the first show to use contemporary music to set the mood. Jan Hammer filled in the rest brilliantly. The origional and still the best show had don johnson who was incredible in that role it fit him very well ( and he is way over the hill now his last series was a total flop, something about him being a lawyer)

Miami Vice had everyone imitating the show the pastel colors hair styles that show WAS the 80's that's what's so great about the show you can watch it and it just takes us back in time. The dynamic that made that show great is not something you can reproduce, this in my opinion (and i haven't seen the movie) will just serve to be a debachary to the dynasty that was Miami Vice.

ok an old fan of the series but that's my take on it. just the commercials made me sick.

Do you remember the so called "Miami Device"?

When the series was on, someone was marketing a razor that was designed to leave a 5 O'clock shadow to give you that Don Johnson look.

Tony

+1

There was no other show that just so dominated the medium as Miami Vice. I got series 1 on DVD a few weeks ago. Yes it looks dated now but it really does take me back to when I first saw it. Each episode was nothing more than a glorified music video, but it WORKED.

People should not do remakes unless they can be done better than the original... And Miami Vice was iconic. It would be like trying to remake the original Star Trek with different actors for Kirk, Spock and McCoy... It just wouldn't work.

O.K., I'll be the first. I've seen every episode of M.V. at least 10 times and ordered the series on DVD before it could be purchased at Circuit City. The movie is pretty much "Dead On" as far as the mood and layout of the original series. I do think roles were reversed a little between James 'Sonny' Crockett and Ricardo 'Rico' Tubbs though. Hearing and seeing more of Tubbs felt out of place a little since he is always the quieter, low key character. They had to modernize it which is where I find fault but Michael wants to draw more than M.V. fans and that's understandable. They could have had Crockett carry and shoot 'reliably' a Bren 10 and it would have been even better.

I think that die hard M.V. fans will like it. I know that my wife and I did. Go here and see what other original series fans think.

http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=25

I'm with you on that Daniel. I am by no means a movie critic nor an actor, I am a die hard MV fan though, my wife...not really, but she did like it and say the same thing you and I feel that Mann did it in the same manor as the show, nothing more nothing less. I might have been a lot more critical if he himself didn't do it though.

I went in thinking it would be like a Bad Boys movie (car chases and gunfights) and when I came out I said to myself that it was done exactly like "Miami Vice". It didn't feature any guns like Sonny's Bren, and we only got a split second glance at the SV Tiki Sonny was carrying. Other than that, I go t to the movies to escape the reality for a little bit, I enjoyed it.

I am with the last 2 posters, I thought it was good and enjoyed it. Done very much like the original series, same mood and feel.

I agree about the roles being reversed with Crockett & Tubbs, that was the first thing I told my wife on the way out of the theater.

Always impressed with the gunhandling skills in Mann films.

+1/2

I thought it paid fair tribute to the original. Nothing better than the original though. Nowadays, it's extremely dated, but it showed the spirit of the 80's better than any other show since.

I was hoping for a miracle considering the train wrecks that were the Dukes of Hazzard/Starsky and Hutch remakes.