Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Evolution Of Ipsc Pistols

Middle Man

So I came across this listing for a S&W 745 Tenth Anniversary pistol http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976607943.htm

I've also seen a 645 with a beer can red dot and two slide set guns with extended barrels.

Can anyone shed some light on it? It is the Single Action version of the 645, I know, but beyond that I'd like to hear some stories.

Edited by Middle Man

I think Michael Bane shot a comp version of it a while back..and Tommy Campbell either shot it or the prototype for it..

other than that..I don't recall ever seeing many of them out in competition..

nice gun though..

I had one,

got in 86 and S&W was only going to build 5000 of them, 2000 for the US the other 3000 for the rest of the world. it was a single action version of the 645, and had the sweetest trigger pull I've ever felt on a factory gun. it had an oversized slide mounted safety, a carbon steel slide and was the first gun that came with novaks sight. the serial no. all started with DVC.

I bought it knowing that with only 2000 released in the US, it should be worth something one day. but, it sold so well, S&W made it a regular production gun.

mine sat un-fired,and I sold it a couple years ago.

almost fell for it again in 96 with the 20th anniversary S&W model 625. again it was limited production gun, but it sold so well, they put in regular production.

I've got one brand new, unfired, still in the factory box along with the original receipt.

It sat in my buddy's gun shop damn near forever. No one (other than myself) wanted it. I was 19 years old when I bought it...made payments as I remember.

Couple of years ago he wanted to buy it back....

Not a chance. :lol:

OK someone hit my nostalgia button. Also posted a remiscence on the .41 thread.

Back in 1986 I was running the Police Shoting club In Hong Kong and doing a bit of Police work in my spare time :rolleyes:

We had good liason with S&W as the Royal Hong Kong Police were substantial users of S&W products. When the IPSC Commemorate 745 was announced I ordered some (about 8 from memory) for our members including one for myself. My contact at S&W said he would try to get us low or interesting serial numbers.

When the guns finally arrived I went throught he serial number on the packing list to allocate them to club members and was a little peeved that they were not low or special numbers. But then I noticed one was DVC 1986. It now resides, unfired in my safe here in Australia.

Some time later Tommy Campbell visited, I think as the Safariland Rep. He put on a trick shooting demonstration at our range using the club's 745. An incredible demonstration!

Peter Dawson

I had one for a couple years. Got it after my first gun - a G17 - but before shooting ipsc or reloading my own ammo. Kept going to gun shows to get cheap ammo to shoot it.

Great gun, accurate as hell, best thing Smith ever made that I've seen. Didn't have the commemorative one but they all had the stainless frame, blued slide, Novak sights, no hammer drop, no magazine safety, blocks the FP is all it does. You knock off the safety with the first knuckle of your thumb, not a big deal. Wish I never sold mine...

If you see one at a good price - like half of the price in the ad - it would work fine in Single Stack division, the mags already hold 8 rounds. You can tweak them to hold 9 rounds which would be the smooth way to go in ipda [or so I'm told].

Edited by eric nielsen

middleman

I wish I had all the pics of the old times I used to have, but had a house fire and lost them..but the memories remain...

I think Tommy shot that gun at the 82 Natls if I remember correctly..

If you see one at a good price - like half of the price in the ad - it would work fine in Single Stack division....

Not too sure about this. As it's not a 1911-design pistol, I don't think it would be allowed.

• 10 months later...

Funny to find this old thread while just clicking around.....

I got myself a low number one of these as my first gun at a gun show here in MA. Didn't even realize that I had grabbed a commemorative gun for the game I wanted to play until I got it home and realized IPSC= International USPSA (kinda).

Pretty lucky find. She was a shooter then, and every once in a while still gets to come out of the safe to play.

They say you always remember your first :P

Tommy Campbell shot the prototype of that gun..he wore a T shirt that said "Uncle Jeff was Right" and shot that .45....

If I remember right, he called that prototype the "Supergun" and listed its value at $30,000 or some such thing....

Not surprising. As I recall, he had to take two steel frames for M-39s, slice them in two off-center, and then weld them together, to make one frame with a magazine opening large enough for .45 ACP magazines.

Then get .45 ACP magazines made by hand with which to feed it.

Serial number EXP-745, and it ended up stolen from his luggage.

Tommy Campbell shot the prototype of that gun..he wore a T shirt that said "Uncle Jeff was Right" and shot that .45....

If I remember right, he called that prototype the "Supergun" and listed its value at $30,000 or some such thing....

The .45 was Supergun 2. The original Supergun was Tom's 5" 9mm.

The .45 was Supergun 2. The original Supergun was Tom's 5" 9mm.

Dan

I am pretty sure you are 100% right on that...talked to Tommy at the Natls the yr he shot SGII and he described the horror they went thru to get it fabricated and working correctly...he said the mags were nearly impossible and the guys who made them nearly went insane...he said they had a big garbage can nearly full of mags that did not work.

Looking back, I cannot even imagine the pressure he must have been under, shooting an experimental gun, hand made mags and the pressure to win against all the odds...he was really some kind of shooter, and if he had competed with the standard gear of the time, I feel sure he would have inked at least one National Championship or maybe more...seemed like he was always on the podium, but could never win the big one...I know, he finally did win a nationals shooting Production or something, but I am thinking of the old times during the IPSC Wars when there were no classes or divisions, just heads up.

Dan

I am pretty sure you are 100% right on that...talked to Tommy at the Natls the yr he shot SGII and he described the horror they went thru to get it fabricated and working correctly...he said the mags were nearly impossible and the guys who made them nearly went insane...he said they had a big garbage can nearly full of mags that did not work.

Looking back, I cannot even imagine the pressure he must have been under, shooting an experimental gun, hand made mags and the pressure to win against all the odds...he was really some kind of shooter, and if he had competed with the standard gear of the time, I feel sure he would have inked at least one National Championship or maybe more...seemed like he was always on the podium, but could never win the big one...I know, he finally did win a nationals shooting Production or something, but I am thinking of the old times during the IPSC Wars when there were no classes or divisions, just heads up.

My first exposure to IPSC shooting was a class put on at the club I now belong to. Tom was the guest instructor. This was in 1980. He was shooting Supergun 1 (the 9MM) and using Tom's Tummy Holster. Over the years I shot with Tom at a lot of matches and other events. I remember the 9MM was kind of a cross between a steel framed Model 59 with a Model 52 slide. Smith had Federal load some ammo to Major, but Tom said the accuracy was poor, so he went back to shooting Minor.