Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Rounds Seems Hot On Paper

Sean Gaines

My original load was Zero 125 grain .356 bullets, that I loaded with 7.1 grains of 7625 at 1.245 oal. I was getting around 167pf. I have now changed to Montana Gold 124gr. I started working up a load and Its coming out to be 7.6 grains to make major out of an STI trubor factory gun no blow holes/hybrid, just strictly a comp gun. After reading a bunch of reloading posts, its seems that alot of people are using this load with hybrid holes and getting higher power factors. I believe my barrel is a .356 diameter. But from what other posters have said that it didn't matter .355/356. Am I doing something wrong, or does this look right. I have no clue. Another thing that I also noticed was the MG bullets were actually a little longer, so more in the case. I am keeping the same oal as with the zero load. But having to add .5 grains of powder to achieve major. I thought that MG were a little faster than zero's also, so I am just confused, HELP, LOL

Thanks in advance

PK

Confusion, is the main part of the game. The big part to every load is 'TEST' . do not be alarmed untill somthing is way off. One thing that efects the Vel. is the amount of bullet -IN -the case, as to if it ouches the powder or has an air space.

Try five bullets and just change the OAL keep notes,and at least one load should push down to the powder in the case.

how about the exstream spread?= fastest to slowest in the batch, ? how about 30 yard groops?

\and if you did not know, acording to my notes =Max Michel uses the same load you described.

7625 varies some by lot and barrel. I need ~7.8 to make 168 PF in one of my short open guns. An identical one only needs ~7.4. The only difference is the barrels, and they're from the same maker with nominally the same specs.

I've not noticed MG to be noticeably faster than other bullets, but this kind of thing is probably to be expected when changing loads around.

I'd mike a few zeros that you were using (if you have any left) and mike the new MG's. MG's 124's are listed at .355 while all of the .355 and .356 zeros I've used have been .3555. You might not be getting a complete seal and getting blow-by.

I'd mike a few zeros that you were using (if you have any left) and mike the new MG's. MG's 124's are listed at .355 while all of the .355 and .356 zeros I've used have been .3555. You might not be getting a complete seal and getting blow-by.

the Montana Gold are .355 and the zero's miked at .356. dont say blow-by that sounds bad for my barrel.

With my 7.7 grain load out of a string of 10 shots the high was 1383 fps and the low was 1345 fps. with an average of 1365 fps. I just may stick with this load.

It just seems like the my powder charge is too excesive. Seeing the 2 factors. The MG are faster bullets. the bullet is longer which is seated deeper into the case, which I thought would build more pressure to propel the bullet faster. but instead the bullet requires more powder to achieve the same velocity as my zero load. ??????

7.7 grains sounds like the load i used in my hybrid super...with 4 big ports.

wierd.

what do the primers look like?

There is a little, I mean a little bit of flowing but not any different than my zero load. I started thinking about it my crimp is at .380, I don't know if that would make any difference in my velocity??? or maybe I should crimp a little tighter?

Now Harmon is your barrel a .355 diameter or .356 diameter

IMR 7625 is known to vary greatly from lot to lot so comparisons are worthless unless the lots are the same. This is similiar to my load when I was using it........Trust the chrono and be vigilant about pressure signs.