Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Stop Casefeeding On A 1050

so is there a trick or a pin or something that can be used to lock the case feeder in the rearward position so it will stop feeding cases when you are out of primers. obviously I don't expect it to know when I am out, I just want to be able to manually lock it out somehow when the buzzer goes off. other than removing the bolt on the feeder itself, I can't see of any way to do this.

I use my 1050 to load .40s. Here's what I do at the end.

1. When the top of the primer plunger gets a little below the top of the powder reservoir, turn off the case feeder. This prevents more cases from entering the case tube.

2. When the buzzer goes off, remove the case tube, holding your finger over the bottom, and dump the cases in the tube back in the case feeder hopper (which is now turned off).

3. Load four more rounds. Check to make sure the case under the powder die has a primer. For me this is always the last primer.

4. Load one more round. Check to see that the case under the powder dies has no primer and remove. This is always the last case to go around for me.

5. Complete remaining loads.

Works every time.

Edited by davidball

On my old-skool 1050, if I pull the cam piece that drives the casefeeder roller back (one bolt, no adjustment), it stops in the forward position and thus doesn't feed cases. On mine there are clearance cuts in the toolhead and such so it doesn't interfere with cycling the press when stuck forward. You'll want to check first to be sure there is clearance on new ones.

I very rarely do that since my usual loading session is to leave it with primers and run it out of cases.

If you wanted to stop the feeder a lot, you could make a little clip that would hold it back against the spring pressure. My first experiment would be a smallish L-bracket and drill a casefeed-roller-sized hole in one leg such that the other leg goes around the back of the feeder and the hole holds the roller in the back position. If that didn't work, I'd try a similar clip going over the top and contoured around one of the socket head cap screws to keep it from twisting.

I don't have any .38 Supers (I shoot non Open guns currently), but hadn't thought of using brass or rubberbands actually. I was thinking some sort of mechanical device. I guess that's called overthinking <_<

I think you guys are putting too much thought into this one...

I have just been letting the case feeder run and when the first case without a primer gets to the powder station I take it and all the others out of the press. Then there is just one more "primerless" case to be removed on the next stroke and a couple more as I finish the rounds... I just throw them in the top as they come out and that is it...

Yet another thing I love about the 1050 this operation is so much simpler than the 650... ;)

Just my 0.02,

Ira

My usual plan is to always keep the thing full of primers, and either run out of cases or bullets to end a loading session. With a nifty round-counter, it's simple to keep track of what you've got loaded. The only time I'll run out the primers is when I'm getting ready to tear it down.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just purchased a 1050 - it was set an hour after the FedEx man left.

All I do Rob is, when the low primer buzzer goes off, I refill the tube and not worry about anything else. Then restart loading.

RePete.

I've had a few people ask me why I don't just fill the primer tube back up and keep going. I guess it's because I like to do specific number of rounds and then go shoot them. I don't know why I can't just load a whole schwack of rounds, stop when I am bored or have filled my ammo boxes, and walk away from the press leaving primers in the tube, and rounds in the shell plate, but I can't. Maybe it's a sickness? maybe I need to load and shoot more ammo? can anyone help?