Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack .40

mjbine

I would look for an older Springfield first, but would get the STI before the Kimber. Both Springfield and STI have done more for our sport than Kimber. Also unless you get the pre-series II Kimber you have to deal with that firing pin safety that some pistolsmiths won't work on.

A little side tracking guys...who makes good single stack 40 mags? thanks

mjbine,

if u don't mind me asking, why did u choose the 40? i'm planning on having a caspian built, with the integral magwell and recon rail..sweet :)

http://www.nowlinguns.com/merchant2/mercha...Category_Code=P

$1495 for their entry level custom gun in several caliber choices including .40S&W. They will build it anyway you want it. It will run and be probably the most accurate gun you own. I have had great success with my single stack .45. They just build it right, no extra bells and whistle, just a damn accurate and reliable gun.

mjbine,

if u don't mind me asking, why did u choose the 40? i'm planning on having a caspian built, with the integral magwell and recon rail..sweet :)

And you are going to use this gun with the recon rail for what class/sport? :huh:

Yeah why a .40 single stack?

Mags can give you trouble, feeding can be a bitch if the gun doesn't like the ammo or the ammo doesn't like the gun, and to make power factor is there really that much noticable difference between .40 & .45.

In the last Front Sight Robbie talked about why he went with the .40 over .45, when shooting factory 230gr ball vs factory 180 gr you notice the difference, but he had trouble with the factory stuff and had to go back to reloading it long to get it to work in the gun. And that if he knew he was going to end up reloading he would have just stuck with .45acp over the .40.

I would like to shoot a 180gr at pf vs a 200gr at pf and really see if there is any noticable difference. If not I would just stick with the .45acp and keep shooting semi wadcutters, nice big holes, easy to call when on the line, and easy to see your hits and if you need to make something up, and mags are easy to get and work.

Mags can give you trouble, feeding can be a bitch if the gun doesn't like the ammo or the ammo doesn't like the gun, and to make power factor is there really that much noticable difference between .40 & .45.

In the last Front Sight Robbie talked about why he went with the .40 over .45, when shooting factory 230gr ball vs factory 180 gr you notice the difference, but he had trouble with the factory stuff and had to go back to reloading it long to get it to work in the gun. And that if he knew he was going to end up reloading he would have just stuck with .45acp over the .40.

I would like to shoot a 180gr at pf vs a 200gr at pf and really see if there is any noticable difference. If not I would just stick with the .45acp and keep shooting semi wadcutters, nice big holes, easy to call when on the line, and easy to see your hits and if you need to make something up, and mags are easy to get and work.

All true, Jake.

I have several very nice .45s and a couple of .40s also. I shoot .40 because, from my perspective, they are cheaper to shoot with less torque and recoil.

I wanted the .40 for single stack and limited 10 and maybe some IDPA. I believed that reloaded .40 is alot cheaper than .45acp. I have a few .45, springer, sw and para. I like the .40 and thought it would be nice to have.

I wanted the .40 for single stack and limited 10 and maybe some IDPA. I believed that reloaded .40 is alot cheaper than .45acp. I have a few .45, springer, sw and para. I like the .40 and thought it would be nice to have.

The .40 is kind of a bastard child in IDPA..... ;)

mjbine,

And you are going to use this gun with the recon rail for what class/sport? :huh:

Hey Merlin, i won't be using it for IPSC or IDPA, it's just going to be a home defense gun and the recon rail will be a help if i decide to put an M6 or X200

I already do reloading for my 40 so i thought it would be less trouble...but i think with whatu guys said about the 40 it's more trouble...so i think i'll have to reconsider since i don't think we have 40 single stack mags available here in the Philippines...

I shoot a .40 because my 1050 is already setup and I am pretty lazy to say the least. I can tailor my loads to whatever I desire. Minor or major.

I can be about the same cost to build a custom gun as to buy a Kimber. BTW I have a STI Trojan, which is very accurate but has been a pain. I would buy a Nowlin as a semi-custom/custom or have Tripp or Hill build one. You would be amazed at how close their guns cost as compared to a Kimber or STI after you modify it.

All true, Jake.

I have several very nice .45s and a couple of .40s also. I shoot .40 because, from my perspective, they are cheaper to shoot with less torque and recoil.

I too find the .40 torques less than the .45ACP, but I think it's a matter of grip as other well known shooters such as TGO don't seem to notice this. I'm right handed and I'm shooting a .45ACP now and notice my front sight flipping left. Robbie use to shoot .40 at the Single Stack Classic for the ability to have one more round until major was limited to 8 rounds. By the way, for those interested Wilson is making 40/110MM Mags again. The part# is 47NX and they are $34.95. They now only are 8 rounds unlike the 9 rounds of the past, but with Single Stack Rules that is OK unless you are planning to shot minor in 40/10MM.