Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Physical Condition - Rm3g

Going to RM3G for the first time. Coming from flatland Minnesota. Any suggestions for preparing yourself for the physical demands of this shoot at this elevation. Or is it not really a problem.

Also, does anyone have any good sites to view some video clips of people shooting at this shoot. It would be nice to see what some of the terrain looks like ahead of time.

I sure am glad I live at 4500-5000. Heck 7000 isn't even ski resort height in Utah. I may not even need to work out :lol::lol::lol: Whew, I hope we won't have to run far!

Also remember if you have a 300 yd sea level zero on your gun it will shoot just a bit high at 7000 feet.

Scott

I attended last years RM3G, great match. I dont know if this means anything, but i found that on the stages where i was last, or near the bottom of the shooting order, that i seemed to feel worse when i it was my turn to shoot. The waiting just seemed to drain me completely, and just fog over my stage planning. So volunteer to be 2nd on every stage. thats wahat i would do if i was going again. apart from that just work on your cardio as much as you can, and breathing exersices. The easier it is for your body to deal with the exsertion, the more you will be able to consentrate on the task at hand. Oh and drink LOTS of fluid, I mean LOTS.

Going to RM3G for the first time. Coming from flatland Minnesota. Any suggestions for preparing yourself for the physical demands of this shoot at this elevation. Or is it not really a problem.

I live 50 feet above sea level and it was a problem for me. At times it felt like my heart was gonna pop out of my chest and I was gonna explode.

The stages are set in natural terrain and the targets at times are up on an incline, up on top of banks, up on top of a hill, etc. And often times you have to go through vegetation to get to them.

Not really a problem while you are shooting them... but when you have to tape them and reset them it was a problem for me. I was standing around after setting up some close steel targets when an RO gave me a dirty look. :D I was fatigued and my heart was pumping hard and I was out of breath... I mean dude it feels like I'm gonna die out here give me a break. :P

Of course the younger and lighter members of my squad were jumping up and down the boulders like goats and taping and resetting like there was no tommorow. Be sure to squad with some young and skinny shooters. :)

One of the guys I know came two days early and visited a friend at a similar elevation. You might want to see if you can come a couple of days early and acclimate to the elevation.

... and oh yeah I experienced the coldest freakin' rain I have ever felt while in Raton. That was cool too. Be sure to bring a spare set of clothes with you in the car. If it rains you will get muddy if you have to shoot one of the long distance rifle stages (where you have to go prone).

Also, does anyone have any good sites to view some video clips of people shooting at this shoot. It would be nice to see what some of the terrain looks like ahead of time.

Check out the video from Calvary arms.

Good old cardio is probably the best thing. I shot RM3g last year for the first time and it kicked my but in a major way. I tossed my last pack of cig's in the trash the day after the match and havn't had one since.

I'm also working on getting in and out of various shooting positions when I practice with my rifle. The rifle stages last year required as many as 5 shooting positions with up to 4 long range targets at each spot. The time and energy required to get down into an effective prone shooting position and then get back up quickly and haul ass to the next spot was way tougher than I expected.

I don't have any visions of making the leader board but I do hope to improve on last year. Either way, just being up at Raton is a B12 shot to the brain for a city dweller such as myself.

See you in Raton.

Having been into mountaineering in my youth, I can say this much. Stay hydrated, work out as much as possible and get into the best shape possible before you go, get there a couple days early, once there, work out a bit. Be prepared for shortness of breath on your first day or so there. If you can get there early, your body will have time to adjust somewhat. Stay hydrated, did I mention that? It also wouldn't surprise me a bit if you develop a monster headache your first day there.

The altitude change isn't terribly drastic, but age and conditioning do play a factor in how quickly you adapt.

Hey SGT,

The NRA Whittington Center sits at 6500 to 7500 feet. All that you have heard above is pretty much correct. Cardio and hydrate, hydrate & hydrate until you float. If you have cable then look for some hunting shows about Elk hunting in New Mexico or Colorado. also check out the Whittington Center website.

The terrain is rough and steep on most stages. Ponderosa pine, pinon pine, junipers, cottonwoods, oak brush and many other trees abound. Bring different footwear, Knee and elbow pads for the different stages that you may encounter. Not all stages are uphill. Some make you start uphill, go down hill, then uphill again. Getting to the stages sometimes can be rough, sometimes 1\8 mile or more hike with gear ( ask Benny about the hikes to some stages ). You will be called upon to shoot some stages in muddy or rainy conditions.

I live at 6500 feet in New Mexico, Elk hunt the high country, and it can still be rough. We practice getting our heart rate up then shooting ( running 75 yds then engaging 300 yd targets while you are breathing heavy ).

Do not bring any equipment that you are not willing to put scratches on, especially your rifle.

Bring rain gear and some cool weather gear as well, as it can be very cool in the mornings.

Arrive two days prior if possible. Bring a camera as the country is beautiful and you will be able to see trophy mule deer, antelope, turkey and sometimes elk. I got a picture last year of a 30" 5x5 mule deer.

You can check your zeros on all equipment at the available ranges once you arrive. Do not eat a big breakfast in the morning, or a heavy lunch, snack throughout the day if possible.

The people that put on, run, RO, and shoot this match are really world class. You will meet some of the best there is in all aspects.

This is all I can think of now, and knowing all of this does not help me win either, but I hope some of this will help you.

You will have a blast and want to attend every year.

See ya there !

Good luck !

RM3G is a great match, but the altitude is too much for me. I live at sea level and have sleep apnea. I was waking in the middle of the night gasping for air. I got winded walking down hill!

The match went from being fun to an imagined fight for my life. If you live at sea level go out a few days early and try to get acclimated. The air is thin up there.

Maybe I am repeating something...don't eat heavy meals at Breakfast and Lunch, instead bring protein snacks and EAT them while waiting to shoot!! Keep your energy up and drink LOTS!!! Don't RUN all the time while taping, setting steel, etc...pace yourself so you have energy left over to shoot!! Its an awesome match, no matter how you do!!

Cheryl :)