Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Ammo For Ipsc

Cavi

TGO answered a question on his website and stated that he shot 185gr. Winchester white box in his long-slide. He said that that load wouldn't make major out of his 5-inch barrels.

It might make major out of your barrel. Nevertheless, that's about as low of power factor store bought ammo I've heard of.

okay, been thinking, I do not reload, but I want to shoot better ammo. What ammo will give me the least recoil and most accuracy in a 45 for ipsc? And here can I get it?

Check with local gunsmiths in your area and see who reloads. I don't want to get into the reloading thing right now myself, so I buy my ammo from my local smith. He loads my ammo to the specs I ask for and I use them practice and major matches.

I used the WWB 185 grain at Area II last year for L10 and I squeaked by with a 165.4 PF. I also used Lancer 200 grain reloads from Midwayusa.com for the Single Stack Nat's this year and had a 168 PF. My shooting partner used the Lancer at the Single Stack Nat's also and ended up at 165.00 PF. Too close for comfort in all cases.

I've been using Atlanta Arms 230gr FMJ.

It shoots a lot softer than WWB, and it makes PF out of my Kimber CDP and G21.

It's a little more money compared to WWB or Blazer (about $11.50 per 50), but it feels like a reload.

I do believe that Dave S. uses Atlanta Arms, (I could be wrong)

If you have the chance to try it, you might be fairly happy.

Out of a tight match barrel the Winchester 185gr. might make major, but it hasn't in any of my match 1911s'. The Jarvis came the closest and I have barrels with Kart, Nowlin and Storm Lake. I think reloading yourself is the best way to go as your local reloader likely doesn't use VV N310 with a 230FMJ which I have found to be the best combination. Besides, you will save more momey in the long run which will let you practice more.

Before I started to reload, I shot the Magtech 200gr SWC. They were pretty good. But you really need to start loading just for the savings. I load .45 for about $6.00 per 100. Compare that to the cheapest ammo you can find and you are saving about $11.00 per hundred. Once you load 2-3K, you've paid for your loader and all accessories (unless you get a 1050). Just do it..

Mike

Buy a loader,

buy a bunch of 230 grain precision bullets and 8 pounds of CLAYS and federal large pistol primers

3.8 grains, 1.220 oal, precision 230s and 3.7-3.9 grians of clays...depending on what you want the load to "feel" like

You can use titegroup too, but its dirtier.

This is the best 45 load there is, low smoke, soft recoil and its cheap..and plenty accurate.

Here's the math on my actual .45 reloads. 3.8 cents per 200 gr lswc from Mastercast in PA. That was shipped, at 10K quantity, and these don't lead much. At $80 for 5K of Winchester Large Primers, (Gunshow price) that's 1.6 cents per. I use W231 - $110 for 8 lbs (at The reloader's bench in TN) 5.5 grains per = 1.08 cents per. I buy (and sort myself) local range brass for 2 cents per, and including lost brass, I probably average 6 uses per case = .33 cents per. Although there is slightly more smoke from lead bullets, I avoid the jacket hazards from steel targets.

6.81 - with tumbling media etc, call it 7 cents per round on my Dillon 550B.