Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeling The Waters! Looking For Your Thoughts!

sbmd

Just getting some input from my fellow forum members. It is the time of year that petitions must be signed and need to be at USPSA HQ by 1 Jan 2007.

I am considering running for USPSA President. Considering things in the past, I believe that I could do a great job. Major match expeirence as an MD, a shooter, Junior Coordinator and a match worker, I believe places me in a good position to take our organization to the next level.

I can receive a wide variety of information from you guys. What are your thoughts on my consideration for the office of USPSA President?

Just getting some input from my fellow forum members. It is the time of year that petitions must be signed and need to be at USPSA HQ by 1 Jan 2007.

I am considering running for USPSA President. Considering things in the past, I believe that I could do a great job. Major match expeirence as an MD, a shooter, Junior Coordinator and a match worker, I believe places me in a good position to take our organization to the next level.

I can receive a wide variety of information from you guys. What are your thoughts on my consideration for the office of USPSA President?

I would suggest you start out by putting your name on your posts... :D

There are some who don't know you here.... ;)

Respectfully,

Merlin

You know, you are correct. This is what I get for staying up late.

Larry Houck

L-2585

Match Director - Summer Blast

USPSA Junior Coordinator

shooting USPSA for 8 years

M-Limited 10, A class all other divisions

I personally like the idea of promoting from the BoD first if that is an option. There are a lot of nuances that go with running an organization such as USPSA, and working with the BoD, and knowing your way around the system is paramount IMHO. I know that Gary Stevens (Area 5 Director) has formally announced, and I think I will be helping to push him as the new president of USPSA. Gary IMHO is a very wise, and big-picture kind of guy who looks at all sides of an issue before he speaks. He doesn't BS or play favorites, and he knows his way around the system without making things too political.

Larry, since you asked this on the forum, I would suggest that you run for the BoD, and gather that experience first before making a run at president. You are a true asset to USPSA, and a breath of fresh air. I think that you bring a lot to the table, and can help us accomplish a lot of things, HOWEVER, there is a lot to know when running an organization such as USPSA, and dealing with IPSC (the world body). Please consider stepping up as an AD, and getting behind Gary in this effort...I have heard his platform, and agree with it (streamlining nationals and when they are announced, helping the organization grow at the club level, and being a hands-on president who will avail himself at ALL area matches so he can gather input from our members, etc...).

I think you have a lot to offer USPSA, and should continue to do so, but the steps need to be incremental and allow for a smooth transition. ;)

Just my .02 Bud

DVC,

Jeff LaFave

B23

Edited by Barrettone

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Larry for the forum get together at the Double Tap match. He struck me as a guy who's very passionate about USPSA, and the Junior program that he's been overseeing.

He's a good shooter, too - even if he shoots L-10 w/ a fat gun... :D

If you want to run, then by all means run for the top office. Choice in any election is always a good thing.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Also I hope that you will take the time to put down your thoughts on the future of USPSA on these forums. There are lots of members here and you would get some invaluable feedback.

I'll disagree with Jeff.....sometimes an outsider is just what a organization needs. A lot of the promote from within just leads to SSDD. I've known Larry for longer than I'd like to admit, he's a no BS guy. I think he might actually be able to stop some of the silliness we've seen lately with all the rule changes. Being in LE at least we know he can read the law or rules and apply them without having to have 30 changes and exceptions like we have been getting lately. I say go for it.

Barney Fife not only gave us that extra round, he came up with one of my all time favorite expressions: Nip it in the bud. Nip it! Nip it! Nip it! :D

With all due respect fellas;

Nip it!

Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Some thoughts, regardless who runs for office, I believe they should do several things.

1. Attending all the area matches, speaking with members and allowing access to you. Serve as a listener, our sport is one of the only sports that I know of that as athletes we can compete against the best standing right beside us....try allowing a local race driver to drive his home built car against Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordan on a Sunday, won't happen! Major matches serve as a great opportunity to meet the members and spend time with them, take advantage of it.

2. Look, entertain and secure a major series sponsor. We have pulled on the big names of our industry too long. We might have to change to align ourselves to continue to grow. Ever considered hearing on TV, "The USPSA Nationals brought to you by Ford". I have!

3. While speaking of nationals, I know there was a rub when we signed an extended contract with PASA. There has also been grumble about not knowing when the nationals are going to be each year. Is there a issue with secureing a nationals spot for two years at a time. This would give ranges an opportunity to prevent burn out and move the nationals around the country if the board would so choose to do that.

4. Work closely with the board. The board is the administrative body, the membership is the governing body....some people would disagree, as long as the membership votes people into office they are the governing body. As President the membership is my boss. My job would be to guide the board, not place demands or ultimatums. I am not saying this happens now but speak to your BOD members and get imput from them as they are there and can give you a feel of what goes on, I know I speak to my BOD rep on a regular basis.

5. Cost efeective decisions. This is a business and we need to show our members the bottom line is growing. Smart money management and future planning as a key. Lay down a road map or plan, where do we want to be in 5, 10 or 15 years. When everyone has a goal and believes in that goal, it can be obtained.

6. Rules that do not have to be changed every year. Again being smart about what we are doing. We are getting the gun manufactures back in the sport, but we do not want to shut anyone out. If we start being selective about who can play and who can't them we are back to where we started 10 years ago....going nowhere!

How this helps.

Larry

Barney Fife not only gave us that extra round, he came up with one of my all time favorite expressions: Nip it in the bud. Nip it! Nip it! Nip it! :D

With all due respect fellas;

Nip it!

Politics

Sorry,

I thought we could discuss USPSA elections and positions, but NOT politics outside of USPSA. If that is not the case, I apologize. This is a serious discussion that warrants a place on the forum IMHO, but this is Brians house, and I will abide by his wishes. ;)

Cheers,

Jeff

Need to hold some position on the BoD first then run for Pres...but it is TIME for Voight to move on...if he spent less time shooting and more time being Pres, perhaps USPSA would be better off.. :)

My wife, Jane, and I were discussing this on the drive back from the KY sectional. What are the duties and responsibilities of the president of USPSA? I don't just mean the formal duties specified in the by-laws, but also the things that have come to be expected of the president outside of the "constitution". What do we expect of the president? What is the current (and, for that matter, past) president NOT doing that we think he should be doing?

What kind of data do we have to assess Mr. Voigt? Is membership growing? Is it growing faster or slower than before he took office? What about our major matches? Are the better or worse? Club growth? Improving or not?

I've been a USPSA member for six years, I'm involved in the sport, but I'm not sure whether Larry, Gary, Michael or anyone else is the best guy for the job because I'm not entirely sure I know what they are supposed to do or how well the current guy is doing.

Need to hold some position on the BoD first then run for Pres...

If I understand you correctly, someone who is or has been a board member would make a better president.

Edited by sbmd

My thoughts are that you might best be served by holding some national position B4 running for Pres..you can learn the politics and people you would have to deal with...make it a lot easier and make you more of a known quantity...But USPSA Pres isn't nor should it be a long term slot....fresh blood and new ideas help every organization and this one is no different in that regard...good luck with your campaign... :D

if he spent less time shooting and more time being Pres, perhaps USPSA would be better off.. :)

I tell ya what, though - USPSA seems to be in much better shape coming back to it this past year than it was when I left it 7 years ago... ;) There's certain advantage to having someone at the helm who still plays the game (and I believe the candidates discussed here all still play, so...). I tend to agree with you, TL, that serving on the BOD would make you a known quantity - but Voigt didn't (IIRC), and has done a good job (in my estimation), so...

Larry, either way, with whichever direction you go, good luck :)

Just a reminder of forum guidelines.

Politics

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

Jon, I agree...this should not and I hope would not become a political debate. I will not paticipate if it does or becomes a mud slinging topic. This was the best way I could think of to ask a question about my consideration to run for USPSA President.

What better way to understand how people view you than to ask. Trust me when I say I value each and every comment that is made. I want to make a decision based off of sound judgement not just because I want too or it would be cool to be president!

We all can agree, we want what is best for the sport and the continued to growth USPSA!

Just a reminder of forum guidelines.

Politics

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

All due respect Jon, but discussing what the "hot button" topics are for consideration when deciding who has the best platform and/or course heading for USPSA's future is not, IMHO against forum guidelines (at least I don't see anything in your post that precludes such a discussion). I hope that this discussion will remain non-political and civil, and that we can come to a consensus on what is important to us. We can use this as a baseline when assessing all the potential candidates.

DVC,

Jeff

With all due respect guys, it does not matter that the political discussion is well behaved. Running for office, promoting others who seek an elected office and eliciting opinions concerning which policies would best serve those from whom the office seekers wish to obtain votes is politics. Trust me on this, in another time, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to sell politicians and I know politics and policy discussions when I see them.

This discussion could be, and probably should be, moved to the USPSA forums as Jon suggested. It is a discussion which is fitting and proper, important to all USPSA shooters and thank you Larry for bringing it up. It just does not belong here; not because it is bad, but because our host has made it quite clear we do not choose to discuss policy or politics here.

Nothing wrong with a good cigar but a gentleman goes to the smoker and does not light up at the dinner table. :)