Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New "athlete" Contacts

My understanding is that they work out similar to wearing glasses tinted in one of the brownish/reddish tints - I'm imagining a VR-28-ish type of tint. I haven't tried a set, obviously, otherwise I could give you more info. If they work well, the price will eventually come down, and they might be worth giving a shot. The only pain is that you can't easily swap tints or take them out if it gets too overcast or something....

Didn't there used to be a kind of contact lens for improving your vision past 20/20? I remember it came out when laser surgery was taking off, but I haven't heard of them in years.

edit:

found the ad: http://www.compleatseanbean.com/acu-paint.html

I wonder what they could do for someone with normal vision?

Edited by nicfit212

Actually, I'm headed to the eye doc today for a checkup and new prescription, new contacts, etc. I'll ask a few questions - both about lens types, and these sport contacts.... ;)

Actually, I'm headed to the eye doc today for a checkup and new prescription, new contacts, etc. I'll ask a few questions - both about lens types, and these sport contacts.... ;)

If you remember to, ask about if they apply to those with astigmatism. If they do, these and a quality pair of clear protective lenses would be the mutt's nuts I would think.

Ok, so basically, they're normal, regular, disposable contacts with a tint. The tint is designed to reduce glare and change contrast.

Regarding the Acuvue2 lens and it being able to increase vision past 20/20, I'd call that bunk. I was wearing the lens :) Here's the thing about soft contacts - they conform to some extent to your eye, especially ones made from traditional lens materials. RGPs (hard lenses) are wicked sharp because they don't conform to your eye, and therefore the lens shape remains intact. But, they're not as comfortable long term by a long shot (at least for me).

The compromise is to look at one of the new silicone hydrogel technologies - and for those of us with a mild astigmatism (I have .25D), and aspheric lens might be the ticket, as it more closely matches the curve of the eye and won't distort as much as a spheric lens would.

How does all that translate to shooting?? W/ RGPs, I had consistent 20/15 vision, and could see bullet holes on targets against brown backgrounds at 50 yards. W/ Acuvue2s, I was lucky to see holes in targets at 25 yards against good backgrounds. The silicone hydrogels in my eyes right now seem sharper than the Acuvue2s, but I haven't been out shooting in them, yet. They're definitely a more rigid material, and are slightly less comfortable initially. Next IPSC match for me is in a week and a half, so I can give you some idea then (though I'm shooting a steel match on Saturday).

I would say that the Nike lenses aren't going to be any better than regular contacts, and since you have to take them out to change tints for various lighting conditions, maybe inferior to a more modern contact w/ eye of your choice (Oakleys, for me...).

If I could get RGPs to last longer than 6-8 hours in my eyes, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat....

Boston Equalens...I take them out every couple of weeks to clean them. Sleep in them, shoot with them...tempted to try swimming with eyes squinted just for grins and giggles.

That being said, these 51 yo eyes are not keeping up like they used to....

Edited by vluc

Thread Drift On...

I can't wait for the implantable contacts to be able to handle my level of astigmatism. I just checked into them again last week. The implantables are out, but the ones for me are in testing for another year. I have never been able to wear contacts, am not a candidate for Lasik or IntraLase, RK or any of the other surgeries due to the level of astigmatism. Of course at $2,975 PER EYE, that's a couple of open guns sitting there. Oh, well. When I was younger, I always said I would give anything to be able to see well. (In glasses since 10 years old) At least now I know how much "anything" costs!

Thread Drift Off...

I suppose I should check on conventional contacts again. I haven't tried any since 1987. Back then I tried hard, soft, semi-soft, torics, whatever was available. I couln't keep anything in for more than an hour or two due to the edges coming up due to astigmatism. Maybe there is a lot more to choose from now?

How does all that translate to shooting?? W/ RGPs, I had consistent 20/15 vision, and could see bullet holes on targets against brown backgrounds at 50 yards. W/ Acuvue2s, I was lucky to see holes in targets at 25 yards against good backgrounds. The silicone hydrogels in my eyes right now seem sharper than the Acuvue2s, but I haven't been out shooting in them, yet. They're definitely a more rigid material, and are slightly less comfortable initially. Next IPSC match for me is in a week and a half, so I can give you some idea then (though I'm shooting a steel match on Saturday).

If I could get RGPs to last longer than 6-8 hours in my eyes, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat....

XRe,

How would you compare shooting in glasses vs contacts? I have never worn contacts and your post makes me think perhaps I should try shooting with them. Have you ever shot with glasses?

Ira

How would you compare shooting in glasses vs contacts? I have never worn contacts and your post makes me think perhaps I should try shooting with them. Have you ever shot with glasses?

I have probably shot in glasses at some point, but I can't recall what it might've been like. I've played around with a pair of prescription Oakleys that were very nice - if a bit on the pricey side if your prescription changes (not to mention you need an Rx lens for each tint, if you use multiples). I've always seen contacts as an affordable alternative to *that* (I'm pretty sold on the Oakley platform...). Plus, I can wear regular sunglasses, etc, and don't have to get prescription versions of those, either...

FWIW, most contact lens makers offer free trial pair coupons that you can taken in - all you'd have to cover is the fitting to at least give them a try. Anything more rigid than a regular traditional contact might take a decent amount of getting used to - if you decide to go that route, be patient with them. RGPs would, of course, be the toughest to get used to...

These silicone hydrogels I've got in (CIBA O2 Optix, BTW) seem to be a bit sharper than the Acuvue2s I had, just judging by the driving around I've done today...

One of these days, I'll do the LASIK thing or whatever the current best technology is...

**Slight thread drift****** Note to self: Squad with XRe, kick up dirt, come closer to beating him on at least one stage.......ROFL *****thread drift off******

Love you too, buddy!!! :lol: :lol: