Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New O6 Classifyers Not On Uspsa Web Site

Maybe its my short attention span but I can never find the page when I want it. Pirated this from another thread:

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/index.html

EDIT:

Ummm, OK, duh, I'm a doo-mass. Guess I should have looked at the page before I posted this..... :ph34r:

I swear they were there a few hours ago????? :wacko:

EDIT AGAIN:

Oooo, I see the note there now. I can't believe they stuck the message right there in plain sight like that..... :ph34r: If my School Teacher wife were here right now she'd be comparing me to her 4th graders..... :P

Edited by j2fast

National Classification Book 4th Edition 2004 - Revised June 1, 2006

The 06 series of classifiers have been temporarily pulled while updates to the stage procedures are implemented. USPSA regrets the inconvenience.

I imagine others besides myself sent in questions to the classifiers before running them in a couple of weeks. Someone took a look and said oh $h*t and figured now is the time to fix them. Should have been done before they were posted, but at least they may get fixed before it is too late.

I think John Amidon and the rest (NROI cadre, ROs, CROs, Area Directors, etc.) put good effort into making sure these things are right before publishing. But accidents do happen.

My recommendation would be to run these (and any future) classifier stages through this forum for a final scrub before publishing. There's over 7,500 registered users here, and more than a few are DRLs. You'd have about the same chance of getting a bugged stage past the collective wisdom/experience here as you would sneaking a bowl of ice cream past my ex-wife.

Edited by ima45dv8

well, i guess the folks at HQ do vist BE's forum.

Ya think?

Maybe it was just a coincidence that they were pulled after a few were found to be buggy and it was discussed here that they could be GAMED to skew the HHF

I am wondering why no one else has commented on the fact that Troy McManus has not posted on this thread or the other one. We know that Troy lurks here so don't ya think he is aware of the problems and maybe had something to do with the classifiers being pulled for wording repairs. The classifiers themselves as shooting skills are fine it was just shooters trying to take advantage of the use of English & how it was worded. Instead of just complaining about it, why didn't somebody post new stage procedures so we could tear apart what they had written.

Quote from I dont know where:

IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

I am wondering why no one else has commented on the fact that Troy McManus has not posted on this thread or the other one. We know that Troy lurks here so don't ya think he is aware of the problems and maybe had something to do with the classifiers being pulled for wording repairs. The classifiers themselves as shooting skills are fine it was just shooters trying to take advantage of the use of English & how it was worded. Instead of just complaining about it, why didn't somebody post new stage procedures so we could tear apart what they had written.

Quote from I dont know where:

IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

:D:P:):lol:

I wish we could somehow incorporate the language from the classifier manual about "not gaming classifiers" into the rulebook. Maybe not as an actual rule per se, but at least in the introductory portions of the book. People are much more likely to view that than the references in a classifier manual most shooters never see.

I wish we could somehow incorporate the language from the classifier manual about "not gaming classifiers" into the rulebook. Maybe not as an actual rule per se, but at least in the introductory portions of the book. People are much more likely to view that than the references in a classifier manual most shooters never see.

Your right. I'll bet there are only about 50 people in USPSA that even know it's there.

We shot it last Sunday and most people found it to be pretty straight-forward. Basically, shoot the left array first, then the right. Targets within an array may be engaged in any order.

We shot it last Sunday and most people found it to be pretty straight-forward. Basically, shoot the left array first, then the right. Targets within an array may be engaged in any order.

But for now, it is not an official classifier? Is this correct?

We had planned to use "Can You Count" as well (really enjoyed it at the '05 A6), but now I guess we have to choose another - at least as far as a classifier goes.

I didn't see that classifier in any of the ones I just reviewed, and it is still an official classifier. (There weren't any problems with it to start with, AFAIK). I'd keep checking the web page to see when it gets put back up, but it should not be long before they are there again. :ph34r:

Troy

I wish we could somehow incorporate the language from the classifier manual about "not gaming classifiers" into the rulebook.

I've always found that comment to be fairly bogus, anyway, though. Shouldn't we instead be bullet proofing classifier course descriptions? We have enough DRLs willing to help out in the effort (for free) - seems like we just need to get them in contact w/ USPSA and have a "potential classifier gaming committee"... If there's nothing to game, there's nothing to game...

I just read through what's left trying to pick something for this weekend's match.

Do we do ANY classifiers that are not Bainchi Barricade or all Partials?!?!?!?!

There's damned little creativity in our classifiers, except for the names, oh do we have creative names for them. :rolleyes:

LEt's get some new ones approved in time for Nationals. :)

Some shooting "areas" with target placement that still makes you move. More like, I dunno, WE ACTUALLY SHOOT NOW??? <_<

sorry, sorry, a breaker popped, I'm better now. :unsure:

Edited by dirtypool40

We (USPSA/NROI) should indeed be bullet proofing classifiers. Sometimes errors slip through the cracks, though.

As for new classifiers, anyone care to guess where they come from? Nationals, sure, but where else?

:rolleyes:

Troy

Troy,

I was certain you guys would want to use the one I sent in for my CRO certification. It was fantastic. lol :)

I hear that the stages need to be shot in a major match first though ?

BTW,

We did put together a "put up or shut up" section for building classifiers here on the site. Look how far we got. :blink:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24428 (<<<clickity)

We planned on setting up 06-03, "Can You Count", on Saturday for our big match. I think we printed scoresheets up, too. Was there issues with this classifer?

We shot it last week... :huh: The problem is I shot too slow :wacko:

Look how far we got. :blink:

Like, 15 of 'em...

Troy, I know they've all been in major matches - but has someone proof read them against the written/verbal course descriptions that were used at those matches? And, just because they were used in a major doesn't mean they weren't gamable there, either.

Further, just because a classifier is gameable doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with it - my point is that, if there's a problem w/ the course descriptions, address it there instead of saying "We know there's no 'course designer's intent' in the rulebook, etc, but please try to figure it out and act accordingly". We wouldn't tolerate that at a major match (or even a local match), would we? Why is it considered OK to do that for our national classification system, then? ;) I'm not cutting on anyone, or berating anyone, or whatever - seems like there's an easier way to address the problem, is all... as you can see from the classifier workshop, I'm willing to be a part of the fix :)

Edited by XRe

Look how far we got. :blink:

Like, 15 of 'em...

Troy, I know they've all been in major matches - but has someone proof read them against the written/verbal course descriptions that were used at those matches? And, just because they were used in a major doesn't mean they weren't gamable there, either.

Further, just because a classifier is gameable doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with it - my point is that, if there's a problem w/ the course descriptions, address it there instead of saying "We know there's no 'course designer's intent' in the rulebook, etc, but please try to figure it out and act accordingly". We wouldn't tolerate that at a major match (or even a local match), would we? Why is it considered OK to do that for our national classification system, then? ;) I'm not cutting on anyone, or berating anyone, or whatever - seems like there's an easier way to address the problem, is all... as you can see from the classifier workshop, I'm willing to be a part of the fix :)

I understand your intent. :)

Seriously, I think that what you mentioned about comparing them against the WSB for nationals is what got looked over here. Even though we reviewed them at our conference, we all knew how they were run at Nats--which was with a statement to shoot from within the fault lines. (I know this because I wrote the WSB's). And, I agree that we should spell out what we want, not just say "no gaming". I don't think classifiers should be any different than any other stage in that regard. Course requirements need to be stated in the WSB, or else we let the competitor "solve the problem", even if it goes against the course designer's "intent". So, they're being fixed.

As for classifiers, they do come from members, with only a couple of requirements: One, that we can get a measured drawing so we can publish the dimensions. Two, that they be shot at a major match, such as an Area Championship or Nationals, so that we can determine at least a base hit factor. For the CRO course, we like to ask for classifiers that will fit in an indoor range, but that's not an absolute, and there's no prohibition on movement.

Hope this helps. We're always looking for more classifiers, so if you see a stage at your Area championship that looks promising, get the dimensions and send it to John or to USPSA HQ.

Troy