Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I The Only One Using A Pro 2000?

I've had it for years for rifle reloading mainly. Did some pistol before for target stuff, and recently started reloading 9mm for USPSA with it. I can't crank out 500+ rounds an hour, but I'm getting at least 300 an hour. I already had the stuff, so it was basic materials and dies and off to the races.

So, is it even worth looking at a 650? If so, what are the reasons?

BTW, I'm surprised the hard-core 3 gunners don't use the pro 2000 more. It's seems to fit that crowd perfectly. (Or am I wrong.)

I've had it for years for rifle reloading mainly. Did some pistol before for target stuff, and recently started reloading 9mm for USPSA with it. I can't crank out 500+ rounds an hour, but I'm getting at least 300 an hour. I already had the stuff, so it was basic materials and dies and off to the races.

BTW, I'm surprised the hard-core 3 gunners don't use the pro 2000 more. It's seems to fit that crowd perfectly. (Or am I wrong.)

I been using one for about a year now. Just load .45 acp and .40 S&W.

Just after I got it I loaded up a batch of primer strips and had at it and almost made 400 in an hour.

Just did it to see how many I could do. I mostly load 50, gauge and box them then the next 50 etc. Usually load about 200 per hour like that.

I bought it cause it was on sale and I was curious about the primer system.

I am happy with it but I intend to try out a Hornady LnL if I get the chance.

al

I have been using an old RCBS Auto 4X4. One breakage in 20 years. Why change. But I have heard maybe this year RCBS will release an auto indexing 2000. Now that will warrant a serious look for an update.

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

I love RCBS stuff. It's great quality and built like a tank. But, yes, it's worth looking at a 650 if you shoot more than 1500 rounds per month, IMVHO.

The 650 is much faster than 400 rounds per hour. You can load 800 if you really take it easy.

I can't crank out 500+ rounds an hour, but I'm getting at least 300 an hour.

(Or am I wrong.)

5 minutes per hundred...

Is that enough reason for a 1050? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Pro 2000 in addition to the Dillon 550. I like the press. It is built like a brick shithouse. But I was weaned on the 550 long before the 2000 came out, so it is somewhat awkward for me to use and much slower.

I use an C-H Mark IVa for .45 auto that I bought before I knew about Dillon. I won a 550 a couple of years later. I use the 550 for some .45 auto, 9mm, .30 carbine, .30-06, .308, and .257 Roberts. For everything else I use a Bonanza Co-Ax or an old Herter's C type press. But then I'm old and have been reloading since the 50's.

• 2 years later...

Been loading on a Pro 2000 since 2001. This press has served me very well. I've had to respring it once and replaced several of the shell plate bolts. RCBS service is outstanding!

I load several calibers (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 357 sig, 38/357, 10mm, 44 mag, 50AE, 223, 308). Change overs can be done in about 5 mins.

I love my Green Machine. I'm going to have to have a look at the auto indexer. However, not sure if it will save much time?

I've done almost 600 per hour (9mm) with all components inspected and primer strips ready. Usually load about 250-300 per hour, inspecting brass directly out of the tumbler before it is loaded in the press.

If you are loading several calibers on a single progressive, this is the machine!!

I use my Pro 2000 for .40, .45 and .50. I'm ordering the auto indexing toolhead for it though, just to increase my speed. been thinking of a bullet feeder too, with .40 and .45 plates and drop tubes.

• 1 month later...
I use my Pro 2000 for .40, .45 and .50. I'm ordering the auto indexing toolhead for it though, just to increase my speed. been thinking of a bullet feeder too, with .40 and .45 plates and drop tubes.

Here is what the Auto Index does for you . . . video of me loading on my Auto Index Pro 2000.

Loading .308WCF with RCBS X-Die and Lube dies I can do 200 rounds an hour. Not fast, but I take my time loading rifle rounds. .223 is faster 250 to 300 an hour. Loading any straight wall pistol rounds I can do 500 an hour fairly easy and never touch a primer tube.

Raise the bullets in the bullet tray, or make a slanted ramp to guide the bullets towards the bullet seating die.

This decreases the hand motion needed to chase loose bullets on the tray.

I'm not real quick, but this improvment is good for at least 100 round per hour. Round Moly coated bullets are slippery.

been thinking of a bullet feeder too, with .40 and .45 plates and drop tubes.

post-13001-1228791867_thumb.jpg